Linux + Windows Duo boot machine.

is Nvidia GPU as bad as people say when it comes to linux Driver support? 

I might be building a new PC, which duo boot xubuntu & windows. 

Do I have to buy a AMD GPU so that I can use the open source driver? 

Also I know that I can get POP OS straight but... I distro hop a lot lol. I dont want to be tied down into one OS / Distro. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Nvidia drivers are a lot better than they use to be on Linux. Still a pain sometimes but they work fine from my experience. 

Edit: a heads up. You may need to drop into terminal to install the nvidia drivers. They are not too bad. Though distros like Pop or Ubuntu will have an option to install 3rd part drivers during the installation process. They may be out of date. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

16 minutes ago, Lord Xeb said:

Nvidia drivers are a lot better than they use to be on Linux. Still a pain sometimes but they work fine from my experience. 

Edit: a heads up. You may need to drop into terminal to install the nvidia drivers. They are not too bad. Though distros like Pop or Ubuntu will have an option to install 3rd part drivers during the installation process. They may be out of date. 

I see. So in your opinion it is worth it to get a Nvidia GPU as long as I know how to troubleshoot in linux right? 

5 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I see. So in your opinion it is worth it to get a Nvidia GPU as long as I know how to troubleshoot in linux right? 

Well if you mean troubleshoot, running a .run file in terminal, sure! Honestly, you really won't have too many issues. When I install nvidia drivers, you just open terminal, type sudo them drag and drop the nvidia driver and hit enter. Follow the prompts and off it goes. 

If it does break, there are ways to remove it and reinstall the drivers. That can happy with any drivers. Honestly, it can happen with AMD as well. Just choose the product that will do what you need. My experience with nvidia drivers in linux has been very little trouble. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

4 minutes ago, Lord Xeb said:

Well if you mean troubleshoot, running a .run file in terminal, sure! Honestly, you really won't have too many issues. When I install nvidia drivers, you just open terminal, type sudo them drag and drop the nvidia driver and hit enter. Follow the prompts and off it goes. 

If it does break, there are ways to remove it and reinstall the drivers. That can happy with any drivers. Honestly, it can happen with AMD as well. Just choose the product that will do what you need. My experience with nvidia drivers in linux has been very little trouble. 

Isee.. Thanks!