Radeon VII washer mod

ChrisZH

Does anyone have a link or know what this washer mod entails. I'm hoping to get some better cooling with my waterblock but I know the contact is not really too good.

from what I recall it's similar to the 5700xt washer mod on reference cards, it's used to improve contact with the cold plate when using thermal paste by slightly increasing mounting pressure. I'm not sure, but pretty sure with the Radeon VII there was some concern of the gpu die and hbm2 memory surfaces not being flat/even with each other. The radeon vii used a thermal pad right?

12 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

from what I recall it's similar to the 5700xt washer mod on reference cards, it's used to improve contact with the cold plate when using thermal paste by slightly increasing mounting pressure. I'm not sure, but pretty sure with the Radeon VII there was some concern of the gpu die and hbm2 memory surfaces not being flat/even with each other. The radeon vii used a thermal pad right?

Used the same graphite pad as the 5700xt. But yes there is a possible micro surface difference with the HBM2 stacks

12 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

Used the same graphite pad as the 5700xt. But yes there is a possible micro surface difference with the HBM2 stacks