33 errors in a memtest, what does that mean?

Go to solution Solved by Sir0Tek,

No need to, I guess. I think that one of the 4 sticks is faulty. If memtest86 is showing the same adress/adress-range it usually points on a single stick. Try 0&2 without 1&3, that should also show errors, but on a slightly different adress (4gb down). Then 1&3 without 0&2, these should work flawless.

I've been experiencing some frequent blue screens lately, and games crashing constantly, so I ran a memtest, to see if its a memory issue, and I got 33 errors (I've included some images below.) I'm assuming this is pretty bad, therefore I would like to know if I need to replace my memory or if its an issue with something else?
My System: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Draconid/saved/G9msYJ
Image 1: https://gyazo.com/a88bd316244ec7c446f1f0cd645ca45a
Image 2: https://gyazo.com/ad357dc4ba9ba6758a14c6aa1e3f743f
Image 3: https://gyazo.com/805b255789de9125eeceeee8c2b3c98f

One of your memory-sticks gives errors at a specific adress (or adress-range, image 2).

Does it also happen without xmp enabled?

Is it 2x8gb? I assume if you switch the sticks that the adress (or adress-range) will also change.

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

One of your memory-sticks gives errors at a specific adress (or adress-range, image 2).

Does it also happen without xmp enabled?

Is it 2x8gb? I assume if you switch the sticks that the adress (or adress-range) will also change.

It's a 4x4 configuration, and I ran the test with xmp disabled 

Just now, Draconid said:

It's a 4x4 configuration, and I ran the test with xmp disabled 

memtest86 shows your ram running at 3000mhz 15-17-17-35. That's not within the jedec-specs.

either a bad RAM or a crap memory controller on the CPU which is more likely and needs a bit more voltage

Just now, Sir0Tek said:

memtest86 shows your ram running at 3000mhz 15-17-17-35. That's not within the jedec-specs.

memtest86 reads the SPD on the DRAM it will show this regardless of the RAM speed. OP says the XMP is disabled

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

memtest86 reads the SPD on the DRAM it will show this regardless of the RAM speed. OP says the XMP is disabled

Memtest86 does show the actual speed values.

Just now, Sir0Tek said:

Memtest86 does show the actual speed values.

it does not, it always reads 3200MHz CL16 for me regardless if I run JEDEC or a manual 3733CL16 OC

Just now, WereCat said:

it does not, it always reads 3200MHz CL16 for me regardless if I run JEDEC or a manual 3733CL16 OC

Truth is, it depends. Some versions did show the actual values when possible, sometimes plain wrong, the version above indeed shows just the spd-readout.

4 hours ago, WereCat said:

either a bad RAM or a crap memory controller on the CPU which is more likely and needs a bit more voltage

I'll try applying some more voltage to see if that'll help, if not I have a spare 8gb kit I can use to see if its the RAM. How much voltage should I increase it by? Thank you for the help. 

4 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

Truth is, it depends. Some versions did show the actual values when possible, sometimes plain wrong, the version above indeed shows just the spd-readout.

Im certain I disabled the xmp setting, I'll re-check when I can. 

No need to, I guess. I think that one of the 4 sticks is faulty. If memtest86 is showing the same adress/adress-range it usually points on a single stick. Try 0&2 without 1&3, that should also show errors, but on a slightly different adress (4gb down). Then 1&3 without 0&2, these should work flawless.

4 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

Hi, I did as you suggested, and turns out the 3rd one was faulty, which is a shame :(. I'll be purchasing a new kit soon. Thank you for your help!