Need help!

Hello! My pc is beeping and making a click noise from its hdd when i try to turn it on. I've tried to look it up but nothing seems to work.. Any of you guys have any idea how to fix this? Please let me know!

Sounds like a bad hard drive head or arm. Can't do anything but RMA it.

I build computers and networks. Fibre Optic is my only dream imaginable. 

Studying for my CompTIA A+ and my CCNA, if you have any tips, let me know please!

Main PC: i5 8400, Saphire RX 570 4GB, ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming, 32GB 3200MHz Patriot Viper RAM, 256GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 550W Evga PSU.

Home Server: 2x Xeon e5410, 64GB DDR2 ECC

1 minute ago, callmejaccob said:

Sounds like a bad hard drive head or arm. Can't do anything but RMA it.

RMA? I dont know very much about computers.. :/

Just now, Jonasen said:

RMA? I dont know very much about computers.. :/

Contact the manufacturer to get it replaced if it's under warranty. If it isn't, then I'd get a new hard drive and copy your data over. This is an HDD and not an SSD, correct?

Studying for my CompTIA A+ and my CCNA, if you have any tips, let me know please!

Main PC: i5 8400, Saphire RX 570 4GB, ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming, 32GB 3200MHz Patriot Viper RAM, 256GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 550W Evga PSU.

How long and consistent is the beeping and clicking?

Contact the manufacturer to get it replaced if it's under warranty. If it isn't, then I'd get a new hard drive and copy your data over. This is an HDD and not an SSD, correct?

Not 100% sure which one it is, I have an ssd also. im guessing it's the hdd 

How long and consistent is the beeping and clicking?

The beeping only happens on startup the n it stops, and then starts the clicking which goes on forever..

Just now, Caroline said:

sounds like a failing drive, is it too old?

I got the pc 4 years ago, So yeah i guess its pretty old

1 minute ago, Jonasen said:

The beeping only happens on startup the n it stops, and then starts the clicking which goes on forever..

The beeping is your POST startup, which is normal. How many beeps is it, and what motherboard do you have?

The clicking is not though, and I would stop using the hard drive until you get a new one.

1 minute ago, Jonasen said:

Not 100% sure which one it is, I have an ssd also. im guessing it's the hdd 

There's no moving parts inside an SSD, so that won't be making a clicking noise like a hard drive could.

Easiest way to test if it is the hard drive making the noise is to turn the computer off, open the side panel, and unplug the hard drive. Reboot and see if the noise persists.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I got a rtx 2060 and a new power supply, The beeping and clicking started happening when i plugged them in. I have a new pc but i really want to fix the old one, Lot of pictures and memories in it.

2 minutes ago, callmejaccob said:

The beeping is your POST startup, which is normal. How many beeps is it, and what motherboard do you have?

The clicking is not though, and I would stop using the hard drive until you get a new one.

Its like three beeps, a little loud. It's a lenovo y720 cube, not sure what motherboard it has

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

There's no moving parts inside an SSD, so that won't be making a clicking noise like a hard drive could.

Easiest way to test if it is the hard drive making the noise is to turn the computer off, open the side panel, and unplug the hard drive. Reboot and see if the noise persists.

I'll check it out. Thank you

3 minutes ago, Jonasen said:

Its like three beeps, a little loud. It's a lenovo y720 cube, not sure what motherboard it has

Yea, it's probably the HDD. Take it out and boot your PC without it. Good Luck!

Yea, it's probably the HDD. Take it out and boot your PC without it. Good Luck!

Will try :D Thank You for the help!

2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

not that old considering there are hard drives that still work after 20 years, maybe the power connector is loose

So it'll probably still work then.