Windows 10 licence issue

dedhed333

I recently moved from Intel to AMD, and while I was at it I upgraded my boot drive because it was very full but windows won't let me move over my licence to the new install, I have even tried to clone my old boot drive to see if that would take the key over but its still needs activation. 

I did a upgrade from windows 7 originally so I think that's why I can't transfer it, but I can't reinstall windows 7 to upgrade again because it lacks support for Ryzen, m.2 NVMe and USB 3.

Is there any way around having to pay Microsoft again for software I already own and have been using for years?

Edit: Also if I do pay for the licence then will it always be transferable in future or could I have similar issues again when upgrading down the line?

Your Windows Key is typically tied to your motherboard, rather than being stored on your drives.

Before you swapped over your motherboard, you should have linked your key with your Microsoft account, this on paper should have solved your issue.

Have you tried running the Windows 10 Activation troubleshooter? I've seen it help in the past, but it's kind of hit or miss

1 minute ago, EndoHash said:

Your Windows Key is typically tied to your motherboard, rather than being stored on your drives.

Before you swapped over your motherboard, you should have linked your key with your Microsoft account, this on paper should have solved your issue.

Have you tried running the Windows 10 Activation troubleshooter? I've seen it help in the past, but it's kind of hit or miss

shoot, you were faster than me ^^

2 minutes ago, EndoHash said:

Yeah I have run that and its showing the key but it won't let me use it, I think it is linked to my Microsoft account, but obviously they think its too many different parts or something

I still have my old hardware I could rebuild that rig and try linking it again?

6 minutes ago, dedhed333 said:

Yeah I have run that and its showing the key but it won't let me use it, I think it is linked to my Microsoft account, but obviously they think its too many different parts or something

I've read that it's impossible to transfer a product key from a free upgraded windows 10 version but I'm not sure if it's true ^^'

6 minutes ago, Trexa said:

I've read that it's impossible to transfer a product key from a free upgraded windows 10 version but I'm not sure if it's true ^^'

Great, and it would be basically impossible to install Windows 7 on a m.2 with a Ryzen CPU and only USB 3 so I can't upgrade again?

7 minutes ago, dedhed333 said:

Great, and it would be basically impossible to install Windows 7 on a m.2 with a Ryzen CPU and only USB 3 so I can't upgrade again?

You could just buy a cheap Windows 10 key but that's quite controversial

6 minutes ago, Trexa said:

You could just buy a cheap Windows 10 key but that's quite controversial

Haven't they got quite good at deactivating ones not brought directly though them? I work at a electronics store and we're not aloud to sell licences anymore because they want to do it directly as much as possible 

12 minutes ago, dedhed333 said:

Haven't they got quite good at deactivating ones not brought directly though them? I work at a electronics store and we're not aloud to sell licences anymore because they want to do it directly as much as possible 

I don't understand what exactly you were saying but i can tell you what i know about those keys.

Those keys can come from anywhere, they also can be stolen. Sometimes they sell the same keys to more than one person. They can be deactivated after an unknown period.

I recently bought one as a Windows 10 Home key for 2 USD. What I've got was a Windows 10 Pro key which I have successfully activated. I don't know what will happen in the future but for now it's alright

EDIT:

AND i bought it for the same reason as you mentioned. My Windows wasn't activated because of hardware changes, so i got that little text in the right corner saying I should activate Windows. It was annoying to see it in every program and game.

I am also having trouble getting Windows 10 activated on a new system.  Old system was running Windows 10 Pro that was a free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro. Was tied to my Microsoft account and not the system.  Bought a Windows 10 Home key but that could not be used either. I am at the point now of having to buy a Windows 10 Pro key from Microsoft but do not want to have that many $ spent on something i already purchased.

15 hours ago, dedhed333 said:

Also if I do pay for the licence then will it always be transferable in future or could I have similar issues again when upgrading down the line?

Historically Retail licsenes are transferable. OEM liscenes are tied to hardware. That being said, Ive heard mostly around here that Microsoft has become lax on the transers of OEM keys. 

15 hours ago, dedhed333 said:

windows 7

All you need is the key. Windows 7 keys are known to work for Windows 10, all you gotta do is try it. If it fails then you know its not transferable. You might also be able to contact MS and see what they will do. Sometimes you get lucky. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.