RTX 2060 Doesn't detect full monitor resolution

Hello everyone. So, I've recently built a new machine. Specs are as follows:

• EVGA RTX 2060
  • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
  • Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite Wifi (rev. 1.0)
  • 2x8GB DDR4 3200 HyperX RAM
  • PowerSpec 650W 80+Gold PSU
  • A M.2 PCI.E Gen4 NVMe drive 

I have installed the latest NVIDIA driver (442.50 at time of writing). I have the graphics card connected to my (1920x1080@60Hz) monitor via an HDMI cable. I already know that the cable and monitor are good by connecting it to my laptop; no resolution issues there. However, on this new machine, both Windows and the NVIDIA control panel only allow me to set the resolution to either 800x600 or 1024x768.

I am currently on a clean Windows install. I used DDU and then installed the driver before connecting to the network. I have also found that the version of the driver Windows automatically installs has the same problem.

Kind of at a loss here... any ideas?

Just to confirm, you are only running one monitor in this setup? If you have multiple monitors windows by default can duplicate the main display and its resolution.   

Just now, clean said:

Just to confirm, you are only running one monitor in this setup? If you have multiple monitors windows by default can duplicate the main display and its resolution.   

Yes, just the one monitor.

This is from an older article but has to do with the nividia settings

"Within the NVIDIA Control Panel, under Display - > Change Resolution, there is a simple checkbox that says "Show only TV Resolutions". Checked by default, it severely limits your resolution options, both in the NVIDIA Control Panel and in the Windows Control Panel System Settings. Once unchecked, the full range of "PC" resolution options becomes available, including many of the common ones, such as 1366x768."

Looks like it solves a similar issue, let us know if it works.

LINK: https://www.techlicious.com/how-to/how-to-fix-nvidia-resolution-problems/

13 minutes ago, clean said:

This is from an older article but has to do with the nividia settings

"Within the NVIDIA Control Panel, under Display - > Change Resolution, there is a simple checkbox that says "Show only TV Resolutions". Checked by default, it severely limits your resolution options, both in the NVIDIA Control Panel and in the Windows Control Panel System Settings. Once unchecked, the full range of "PC" resolution options becomes available, including many of the common ones, such as 1366x768."

Looks like it solves a similar issue, let us know if it works.

LINK: https://www.techlicious.com/how-to/how-to-fix-nvidia-resolution-problems/

Unfortunately my NVIDIA Control Panel has no such check box.

Hmmm,

I run AMD so my experience is limited here.

From here all I can recommend is basic troubleshooting steps:

- is the cable plugged in properly

- try a different port on the GPU if available

Also try steps outlined on this Microsoft forums posting: 

(43 people found this helped them)

"Right-click the Start button, and click Device Manager from the menu. In the manager, find your display adapter, right-click it, and select Properties. Then, in the Driver tab, click Uninstall, and then check the checkbox for deleting your driver software.

Restart your PC once the uninstall is finished. Windows will then detect that the display adapter doesn't have drivers, and install the latest ones."

LINK https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/windows-10-doesnt-detect-correct-display/d919291b-e1cb-4b30-abd4-0e96466d33be

Regards,

Clean 

1 hour ago, clean said:

Hmmm,

I run AMD so my experience is limited here.

From here all I can recommend is basic troubleshooting steps:

- is the cable plugged in properly

- try a different port on the GPU if available

Also try steps outlined on this Microsoft forums posting: 

(43 people found this helped them)

"Right-click the Start button, and click Device Manager from the menu. In the manager, find your display adapter, right-click it, and select Properties. Then, in the Driver tab, click Uninstall, and then check the checkbox for deleting your driver software.

Restart your PC once the uninstall is finished. Windows will then detect that the display adapter doesn't have drivers, and install the latest ones."

LINK https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/windows-10-doesnt-detect-correct-display/d919291b-e1cb-4b30-abd4-0e96466d33be

Regards,

Clean 

This just gets me the same result ?
800x600 or 1024x768

Just to be sure, You are plunging the cord into the GPU not the Mother board right? double check to be sure. 

11 minutes ago, clean said:

Just to be sure, You are plunging the cord into the GPU not the Mother board right? double check to be sure. 

Yes, I am plugging it into the graphics card. Also I don't believe this CPU has integrated graphics.

I was able to solve this by creating a custom resolution and using "CVT reduced blanking". Don't know, don't care, it works!

You did not mention the Make of the Monitor.

What I have found sometimes is that you have to update the drivers for the Monitor as well.

As you seem to have solved the issue, it is worth trying to update the monitor driver.

Device manager> Monitor> properties> update driver.