TX650M V2 loud

Hi Guys

I have an about 1.5 year old TX650M V2 Gold PSU, but I notice it's a bit loud

when I say loud, I don't mean R9 290 loud, but it's more audible than a Wraith Spire under about 60% load (IIRC),but the PSU is at idle when making this much noise.

I have no other fans on in my system at idle (except the ones on my Scythe Ninja 5 but they I can not hear those at all),but the TX650M fan seems quite a bit louder than it should be at idle.

I cant find the amount of noise it is supposed to make anywhere either.

If someone could record and submit the noise that their TXM PSU is making so I have some reference that would be very helpful. If mine happens to be louder than normal I guess I'll have to RMA the thing and hope I get one that's actually quiet

It's not quiet by any means, 30dBa idle. Partly because it has unoptimal fan housing. To quote it's designer, @jonnyGURU :

The other problem with TX has nothing to do with the fan's starting RPM. The static pressure is almost completely defeated because the Corsair's fan has a round fan frame and the original CS-M housing, which is used for TX-M, was designed for a square frame. This created air gaps in the corners of the fan and a lot of the air blows back out through these gaps. So to compensate, the fan has to run faster to make up for the lost static pressure.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?17324-Antec-EA650G-vs-Corsair-tx650&p=162276#post162276

>> Stepping carefully here, but why was a round peg put in a square hole?

Because I'm dumb and didn't think about it. It was my fault. My first project there was to improve the CS-M into a TX-M level product and I guess nobody said anything because they wanted to see me fail. *shrug*

Tooling a housing can cost anywhere from 20K to 50 or 60K, so I thought I was saving money by re-using the existing housing (it's the internals that are important! Right?)

But whatever... the current housing is not IEC 62368-1 compliant, so it needs an overhaul before the end of the year and little issues like that will also be addressed since it has to be re-tooled no matter what.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?17324-Antec-EA650G-vs-Corsair-tx650&p=162285#post162285

If you're really bothered by noise i guess you can try to return it and get RM\RMx instead, they are quiet. Or possibly wait for TXm refresh Jon are talking about and try to swap it for newer revision when it would be available. I doubt Corsair support would do either tho, noise are usually aren't regarded as a good reason for RMA especially since this is normal operation for this particular unit.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

On 3/3/2020 at 7:29 AM, Juular said:

It's not quiet by any means, 30dBa idle. Partly because it has unoptimal fan housing. To quote it's designer, @jonnyGURU :

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?17324-Antec-EA650G-vs-Corsair-tx650&p=162276#post162276

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?17324-Antec-EA650G-vs-Corsair-tx650&p=162285#post162285

If you're really bothered by noise i guess you can try to return it and get RM\RMx instead, they are quiet. Or possibly wait for TXm refresh Jon are talking about and try to swap it for newer revision when it would be available. I doubt Corsair support would do either tho, noise are usually aren't regarded as a good reason for RMA especially since this is normal operation for this particular unit.

Sorry for seeing your reply so late

What PSU would you recommend for quietness and value?

11 minutes ago, Yasin40 said:

Sorry for seeing your reply so late

What PSU would you recommend for quietness and value?

Bitfenix Formula Gold for non-modular or Whisper M for modular.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

On 3/9/2020 at 3:12 PM, Juular said:

Bitfenix Formula Gold for non-modular or Whisper M for modular.

Is quad 12v rails not kinda janky?