New Build for College Dorm

iM8Pizza

Hi there, I'm currently looking to build a PC around AMD's APUs to go along with my about 3 years of study. The PC will be mainly used to do my homework, light video editing, and some games. My works aren't that heavy, I'm taking accounting at the moment, for video editing I'll be using lightworks (some lecturers often task us to record our work etc), for gaming I'll mainly play War Thunder (currently playing it at ultra low quality and my laptop still thermal throttle *this goes for almost all games*). I live in Indonesia and at the time of writing this the exchange rate is Rp14068=$1.

The part is listed below and I'm taking the prices from the local store (here's the website http://sentracomputer.com/ )

I'll be overclocking the APU to get some more juice out of it and I'm wondering if the motherboard is good for it. The same goes for the PSU, I included Corsair CV450 on the list but the case actually already comes with a 450W PSU of its own, as you can see in the chart, it'll save quite some money if the included PSU is enough (I'll be expecting many people to tell me to get the CV450, but I'd like to hear your thoughts nevertheless).

Yes the monitor is 1366x768, I don't think I'll be needing 1080p for my usage and it's not like the system will handle much 1080p.

There are two systems, I'm considering between the two. Some edits on the build are welcomed.

Thank you.

Screenshot_2020-03-03-02-36-06-00_87869c5c71fa0655e350912352595c23.png

Get the 2200G. It's almost double the CPU performance and almost three times the iGPU performance.

I definitely recommend the Ryzen 3 2200G build. Not only is it a quad core, but I'd say it has some better graphical processing units on the chip. What is your budget?

I build computers and networks. Fibre Optic is my only dream imaginable. 

Studying for my CompTIA A+ and my CCNA, if you have any tips, let me know please!

Main PC: i5 8400, Saphire RX 570 4GB, ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming, 32GB 3200MHz Patriot Viper RAM, 256GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 550W Evga PSU.

Home Server: 2x Xeon e5410, 64GB DDR2 ECC

You're gonna hate using a PC without an SSD, trust me. Any cheap SSD is better than nothing. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

25 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Get the 2200G. It's almost double the CPU performance and almost three times the iGPU performance.

I see, it is indeed

25 minutes ago, callmejaccob said:

I definitely recommend the Ryzen 3 2200G build. Not only is it a quad core, but I'd say it has some better graphical processing units on the chip. What is your budget?

400 max I guess

17 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

You're gonna hate using a PC without an SSD, trust me. Any cheap SSD is better than nothing. 

It's okay in my experience, it's fine as long it's not 5400rpm (again, from my experience). I'll only be getting 256gb at around the same price

1 minute ago, iM8Pizza said:

I see, it is indeed

400 max I guess

It's okay in my experience, it's fine as long it's not 5400rpm (again, from my experience). I'll only be getting 256gb at around the same price

an SSD is 5-6 times faster than the 7200 RPM HDD - I went from one of those to a simple 256GB SSD - I was more than happy.

As for the CPU - the Vega 8 alone is worth it - 8 GPU units vs 3 on the Athlon - that's a near 200% increase in performance for a slight increase in price. You go from being able to play almost nothing to actually being able to play stuff like CS:GO, Overwatch, Fortnite and etc

13 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

an SSD is 5-6 times faster than the 7200 RPM HDD - I went from one of those to a simple 256GB SSD - I was more than happy.

As for the CPU - the Vega 8 alone is worth it - 8 GPU units vs 3 on the Athlon - that's a near 200% increase in performance for a slight increase in price. You go from being able to play almost nothing to actually being able to play stuff like CS:GO, Overwatch, Fortnite and etc

You can play said games on the Athlon, LowSpecGamer has some videos on it.

I simply can't justify the price for the capacity, I'd prefer if this is the only storage I'll need for the span of 3 years.

11 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

You can play said games on the Athlon, LowSpecGamer has some videos on it.

I simply can't justify the price for the capacity, I'd prefer if this is the only storage I'll need for the span of 3 years.

For the SSD - it's your call but don't waste the money on the Athlon when you can get the 2200G

20 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

For the SSD - it's your call but don't waste the money on the Athlon when you can get the 2200G

I can understand, It's just quite the sum of money for the 2200G, it's a month worth of allowance

1 minute ago, iM8Pizza said:

I can understand, It's just quite the sum of money for the 2200G, it's a month worth of allowance

It's more than worth it for over double the performance on both CPU and GPU

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

It's more than worth it for over double the performance on both CPU and GPU

what about the PSU? should I stick with the one that comes with the case or should I go with the CV450? I thought it'll be fine with the included PSU since from PSU calculator the system runs at about 200watts and I don't think it'd be over 300W even if I overclock the CPU
*the included PSU is 450W

mending gini bro

SPARE PARTS DESKRIPSI QTY JUMLAH
AMD AM4 AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7Ghz Up To 4.2Ghz Cache 4MB 65W AM4 [Box] - 4 Core - YD3400C5FHBOX - With AMD Wraith Spire Cooler AMD AM4 1 2.125.000,-
Mb. AMD AM4 MSI A320M-A PRO MAX AMD Socket AM4 1 725.000,-
Memory DDR4 A-Data XPG Gammix D30 RED PC24000 3000MHz 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 1 1.050.000,-
Casing Mid.Tower Infinity F03 USB 3.0 (MicroATX) Acrylic 1 225.000,-
Power Supply Power Logic Armageddon Voltron Pro 225X ( PLPSUATX017X ) (Black, Yellow, Blue, Green, Red) 1 195.000,-
LCD DELL 18.5 Inch E1916HV LED (DLMONLCD0004X) Size 19 inch 1 895.000,-
Harddisk SSD WDC Green PC SSD 120GB M.2 2280 (WDSSDINT0001X) SSD 1 338.000,-
Code: TOTAL=> Rp. 5.553.000,-

bulan depan tambah hdd

On 3/4/2020 at 2:00 AM, m777y said:

mending gini bro

SPARE PARTS DESKRIPSI QTY JUMLAH
AMD AM4 AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7Ghz Up To 4.2Ghz Cache 4MB 65W AM4 [Box] - 4 Core - YD3400C5FHBOX - With AMD Wraith Spire Cooler AMD AM4 1 2.125.000,-
Mb. AMD AM4 MSI A320M-A PRO MAX AMD Socket AM4 1 725.000,-
Memory DDR4 A-Data XPG Gammix D30 RED PC24000 3000MHz 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 1 1.050.000,-
Casing Mid.Tower Infinity F03 USB 3.0 (MicroATX) Acrylic 1 225.000,-
Power Supply Power Logic Armageddon Voltron Pro 225X ( PLPSUATX017X ) (Black, Yellow, Blue, Green, Red) 1 195.000,-
LCD DELL 18.5 Inch E1916HV LED (DLMONLCD0004X) Size 19 inch 1 895.000,-
Harddisk SSD WDC Green PC SSD 120GB M.2 2280 (WDSSDINT0001X) SSD 1 338.000,-
Code: TOTAL=> Rp. 5.553.000,-

bulan depan tambah hdd

The motherboard tho. Finding a second hand processor is easier than a second hand motherboard. But yeah, it is better indeed. I understand your point regarding the HDD but I have other more pressing things to buy other than it.

You can press down that list of yours by getting a case+PSU combo too btw, Alcatroz Azzura Z2VX only cost 250k for example. Considering that there's no GPU involved, it should be fine.

Thanks, didn't expect a fellow Indonesian in the forum

2 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

The motherboard tho. Finding a second hand processor is easier than a second hand motherboard. But yeah, it is better indeed. I understand your point regarding the HDD but I have other more pressing things to buy other than it.

You can press down that list of yours by getting a case+PSU combo too btw, Alcatroz Azzura Z2VX only cost 250k for example. Considering that there's no GPU involved, it should be fine.

Thanks, didn't expect a fellow Indonesian in the forum

you're welcome