Question on Storage upgrade for my home server

Hi all,

I currently have a Dell optiplex 390 SFF running with ubuntu server and 1X 4TB HDD.

since that drive is starting to fill pretty fast i want to add some storage.

due to the fact that the case is a SFF and has only room for 1 drive, i'm a bit stuck.

so the question is, How can i easily add some extra drives to this?

or what do i need to have the drives outside of the system but connected to the server?

thanks in advance

Is there a reason you're using a small factor case? a midi tower shouldn't cost much but offer you the ability to increase the storage fairly easily.

Aside of that, i geuss you could connect external harddrives via USB or simply buy a NAS.

Otherwise an ICYBOX might be a sollution? 

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

1 hour ago, Caennanu said:

Is there a reason you're using a small factor case? a midi tower shouldn't cost much but offer you the ability to increase the storage fairly easily.

Aside of that, i geuss you could connect external harddrives via USB or simply buy a NAS.

Otherwise an ICYBOX might be a sollution? 

no there isn't a reason i just use it because thats how i bought it.

i have a spare case lying around, not sure if the MOBO will fit tough, need to check on that.

If you don't need the two bays in the front then yeah, ICYDOCK has some decent changes for adding up to 3 disks inside the front bays.

If you do need these you could build a Disk Enclosure if the PCI_e x16 slot is free.

It should be fine when accessing over a 1Gbit network. 10Gbit though the performance will be bottle-necked by the SAS Expander.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

If you don't need the two bays in the front then yeah, ICYDOCK has some decent changes for adding up to 3 disks inside the front bays.

If you do need these you could build a Disk Enclosure if the PCI_e x16 slot is free.

It should be fine when accessing over a 1Gbit network. 10Gbit though the performance will be bottle-necked by the SAS Expander.

thanks, i'll give it a read. it looks interesting tough.

4 minutes ago, jelle_vdd said:

thanks, i'll give it a read. it looks interesting tough.

It was fun to make. You can build it as big or small as you like.