Bottleneck?

dexknowss

I have a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (stock) and a ROG 2080 Super.
Gaming at 1080p, would that cause my cpu to bottleneck my gpu (since the card is geared more towards UHD and QHD gaming?
I have a 144hz 1080p Acer Nitro monitor

22 minutes ago, dexknowss said:

Gaming at 1080p, would that cause my cpu to bottleneck my gpu (since the card is geared more towards UHD and QHD gaming?

The amount of bottleneck (if any) would depend on your settings or game, though it wouldn't matter anyway if you're getting the amount of FPS you need.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

24 minutes ago, dexknowss said:

What does the bottleneck look like, whats bottle necking, what is the cpu and gpu usage like, what are temps on them both and how much ram u got and speed

I live in the land down under and not afraid of a kangaroo

Gold rainbow six player going to yeet on ur bitch 

Spoiler

Intel pentium g4560 

msi z170m mortor 

12gb ddr4 2400mhz (oc to 2666mhz)

1tb hard drive

gtx 750 ti 

some game max psu 500w 80+ 

26 minutes ago, dexknowss said:

you defenetly have a good machine to run games at 1440p you should consider a nice new monitor indeed.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

29 minutes ago, dexknowss said:

Having trouble parsing this question.  Do you have an issue with the CPU being buried by the game or are you looking for a way to arrange it?

The answer to the second would be to run something very cpu intensive at very low settings on low resolution.   A game (possibly an older one) that is single thread CPU intensive will be creating frames that don’t care what resolution or visual settings level you have. If you’re running low resolution low settings the cpu would be doing the same amount of work while the gpu would be doing less.  The advantage of the 3700 is it’s got 8 cores and lots of threads.  A game that can’t make use of that will top off the cpu faster because it can’t use all the CPU.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, Bazzzza said:

What does the bottleneck look like, whats bottle necking, what is the cpu and gpu usage like, what are temps on them both and how much ram u got and speed

I've just read a couple of forum posts about my setup and it possibly bottlenecking if i play at 1080p. I have G.Skill 16GB 3600mhz CL16. temps are 60-63 degrees celcius for cpu when im gaming and 50-53 for the gpu. theyre both at stock clock speeds

15 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

The amount of bottleneck (if any) would depend on your settings or game, though it wouldn't matter anyway if you're getting the amount of FPS you need.

I play at highest 1080p settings for every game. GeForce Experience automatically puts the resolution to 2k for almost every game and i have to change it back everytime

2 minutes ago, dexknowss said:

I play at highest 1080p settings for every game. GeForce Experience automatically puts the resolution to 2k for almost every game and i have to change it back everytime

i would go with that, or something like that...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HZ499J4?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, dexknowss said:

I've never heard of that brand. Are they reliable? and will the response time matter much? Especially on a curved 34"?

i don't know you would have to check reviews but there are many options with similar specs...here, all those monitors

share that screen resolution and are 100hz or better:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=344001440&sort=price&page=1&D=100000,240000&qq=1

13 minutes ago, dexknowss said:

I've just read a couple of forum posts about my setup and it possibly bottlenecking if i play at 1080p. I have G.Skill 16GB 3600mhz CL16. temps are 60-63 degrees celcius for cpu when im gaming and 50-53 for the gpu. theyre both at stock clock speeds

Gah.  All “bottlenecking” means is that you bury either the CPU or GPU while there’s still performance room in the other part of the machine.  If there is a lot of bottlenecking it doesn’t mean your computer is broken or something, all it means is you could get a more powerful or less powerful CPU or GPU and either not see a performance change or get more frames by only increasing the one.

Youve got a lot of CPU AND a lot of GPU. If you choose a set of settings that is really easy on one or the other sure you can bury one or the other of the two components without also maxing the other.  AT THAT ONE THING.  You’re not damaging your system or anything.  You’re just maxing it out.  What your system has is flexibility.  You can do BOTH cpu intensive AND GPU intensive things.  If you for example are “bottlenecking” your cpu by running a low Rez high frame rate game at 1080p all it means is you have room to turn your settings up without bothering your frame rates.  So you don’t have to play 1080p low settings.  You might be able to play 1080p ultra settings and still have spare performance left in your GPU which means the thing will still run fairly cool and quiet.  That’s all.  “Bottlenecking” is not dangerous.  It just means you’re not using all the performance your machine has to give in a particular area.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Gah.  All “bottlenecking” means is that you bury either the CPU or GPU while there’s still performance room in the other part of the machine.  If there is a lot of bottlenecking it doesn’t mean your computer is broken or something, all it means is you could get a more powerful or less powerful CPU or GPU and either not see a performance change or get more frames by only increasing the one.

Youve got a lot of CPU AND a lot of GPU. If you choose a set of settings that is really easy on one or the other sure you can bury one or the other of the two components without also maxing the other.  AT THAT ONE THING.  You’re not damaging your system or anything.  You’re just maxing it out.  What your system has is flexibility.  You can do BOTH cpu intensive AND GPU intensive things.  If you for example are “bottlenecking” your cpu by running a low Rez high frame rate game at 1080p all it means is you have room to turn your settings up without bothering your frame rates.  So you don’t have to play 1080p low settings.  You might be able to play 1080p ultra settings and still have spare performance left in your GPU which means the thing will still run fairly cool and quiet.  That’s all.  “Bottlenecking” is not dangerous.  It just means you’re not using all the performance your machine has to give in a particular area.

I know im not damaging anything or harming any parts lol. I just think im not using either my gpu or cpu to its full potential 

7 minutes ago, dexknowss said:

I know im not damaging anything or harming any parts lol. I just think im not using either my gpu or cpu to its full potential 

a graphics card of this price defenetly need a better monitor, a VR headset is also a new world of possibilities.

For that i would consider a Rift S or if you can spend more the steam index.

Just now, dexknowss said:

Not using it in that situation anyway.  Personally I wouldn’t worry about it.  The point of a system like that is it can do lots of things.  You want to hit your GPU harder buy a bigger or faster monitor.  That’ll max things out real quick. 

Assuming these parts are already bought you have the option to spend more money and make one of them weaker or stronger.  One thought if you have more space in your GPU is perhaps a bit of overclock on your CPU assuming you’ve got the VRM on your motherboard for it.  3700s don’t overclock very well so there may be very little to be found and there are people apparently having trouble with burned out CPUs from overclocking so it’s kind of an iffy thing to do. Or you could find $750 and buy a CPU with even higher single thread like a 3950 (again assuming your mobo can even handle it) to get just a few more frames.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not using it in that situation anyway.  Personally I wouldn’t worry about it.  The point of a system like that is it can do lots of things.  You want to hit your GPU harder buy a bigger or faster monitor.  That’ll max things out real quick. 

Assuming these parts are already bought you have the option to spend more money and make one of them weaker or stronger.  One thought if you have more space in your GPU is perhaps a bit of overclock on your CPU assuming you’ve got the VRM on your motherboard for it.  3700s don’t overclock very well so there may be very little to be found and there are people apparently having trouble with burned out CPUs from overclocking so it’s kind of an iffy thing to do. Or you could find $750 and buy a CPU with even higher single thread like a 3950 (again assuming your mobo can even handle it) to get just a few more frames.

i enjoy the 3700X. I have the Asus Tuf Gaming Plus wifi board. im not knowledgeable enough to over clock thats why i just run it at stock speeds. I am still rocking the wraith prism air aio as well. i plan to get a liquid corsair aio this week 

24 minutes ago, dexknowss said:

i enjoy the 3700X. I have the Asus Tuf Gaming Plus wifi board. im not knowledgeable enough to over clock thats why i just run it at stock speeds. I am still rocking the wraith prism air aio as well. i plan to get a liquid corsair aio this week 

If you are not interested in overclocking it strikes me as something of a waste.  They’re expensive have a limited use life and is probably noisier than what you have.  Your temps are reasonable.  There would be no functional use in doing this. Some people like how they look of course.  There are probably more useful things to spend $100 on.

what memory are you currently running?

23 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

If you are not interested in overclocking it strikes me as something of a waste.  They’re expensive have a limited use life and is probably noisier than what you have.  Your temps are reasonable.  There would be no functional use in doing this. Some people like how they look of course.  There are probably more useful things to spend $100 on.

And if he absolutely wants better cooling, a $20 GAMMAXX 400 would pair excellently with that CPU.

CPURyzen 7 5800X with Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO & push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO & 2x Arctic P12 PWM fans Case: Antec P5

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms