2070 super or wait?

deathf4n

At the moment I rock a Palit 1070 bought at launch, a Ryzen 1600x and a dual-screen 1080p 60hz monitor.

I have no intention of going 1440p for now as I'd rather go 1080p 120hz or higher by the end of the year, but I was wondering whether would it be worth to get a 2070 super now (I can find it around 530-560€) or wait until the 3000 series is announced to cash-in on possibly lower prices but risking a sold out of 2000 series at the same time.

Also, I've heard of speculations about possible repercussions price-wise due to the coronavirus craze.

I mainly play borderlands 3, which I can run at 60fps normally but goes straight to 30-ish in most heavy scenarios.

Thx ;)

Eventually, what 2070super would you advise me to get? in the price range indicated above I can get MSI RTX2070 Super Ventus, Zotca 2070 SUPER AMP and Gigabyte Aorus GeForce Rtx 2070

Targeting high refresh rate will benefit more from a CPU upgrade than a GPU upgrade, at 1080p anyway. A Ryzen 5 3600 would be a more appealing upgrade for the time being.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I have been looking into the 2070 supers myself because I currently have a AMD radeon 6700 series which is around 8 years old if I remember correctly but its out of date with what I need for some games I play. there is also a video linus posted on his youtube channel where he compared all of the graphics cards just before Christmas so you might want to check that out.

57 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

i would wait a 1070 is not that bad for 1080p 60 :) and the rtx 3060 will prob be as fast as the 2070s and cost less 

It's true that still does its job nicely, I am not really in a hurry, I am just starting to think about an upgrade because I usually do it after 4/5 years :)

As for the 3060 you could be right, but I kinda fear what happened with the launch of the 2000 series: previous gen unobtainable and newer gen price inflated.

48 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Targeting high refresh rate will benefit more from a CPU upgrade than a GPU upgrade, at 1080p anyway. A Ryzen 5 3600 would be a more appealing upgrade for the time being.

Yeah, you are right. A mobo+CPU upgrade would be planned around the same time as the monitor, eventually. I usually prefer to stagger my upgrades, and I am just starting with my oldest component. 

19 minutes ago, tdkid said:

I have been looking into the 2070 supers myself because I currently have a AMD radeon 6700 series which is around 8 years old if I remember correctly but its out of date with what I need for some games I play. there is also a video linus posted on his youtube channel where he compared all of the graphics cards just before Christmas so you might want to check that out.

Hey, I totally forgot about that video, thx a lot :)

edit: speaking of which, his newer video that came out 3h ago speaks to me as well

Edited by deathf4n
added info

11 minutes ago, deathf4n said:

Yeah, you are right. A mobo+CPU upgrade would be planned around the same time as the monitor, eventually. I usually prefer to stagger my upgrades, and I am just starting with my oldest component. 

you wouldn't need to upgrade the motherboard, any motherboard compatible with a 1600X is also compatible with a 3600

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I almost forgot that I made my own post about the 2070s a few days ago asking about the design of them because I wanted to know which one was going to be best and basically which would fit in my computer. I was given this link in which I asked the person about it.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

you wouldn't need to upgrade the motherboard, any motherboard compatible with a 1600X is also compatible with a 3600

Oh yeah, that's another story.

I have an as rock ab350m Pro 4 that does not allow me to regulate fan speed no matter the bios settings or fan headers that I use. It's not deal breaking, I've used it no problem all these years but my fans are always at full speed and it annoys me ;D

One thing I'd guess: either buy right now or you're likely to be waiting a while with how fucked up the supply chains are going to get from corona virus. Personally I have a strong urge to buy a 2070 Super also (to replace a GeForce 8400 GS lol, it's way worse than almost all integrated graphics these days) but have been holding off to see what's in the PS5. Now I'm wondering if that'll even be an option in a couple of weeks. With a 1070 though I'd probably just wait, that's still a pretty good card and even if you're waiting a year for the Nvidia 3000 series / Navi 2.