No 144hz with R9 270 & Dell S3220DGF?

sneakysnake128

I just upgraded my monitor to a S3220DGF but even after installing the monitor driver and updating my graphics driver, I don't see a 144hz option. It is connected via DisplayPort. 

I also have 2 other monitors hooked up via HDMI & DVI. 

Running: Sapphire Radeon R9 270 2GB

I'll tell you right now that the R9 270 can do 144Hz. You might have to do something like this, clicking on the Display adapter properties for that monitor then manually setting it. 

FfgBs.png

I don't have a 144Hz monitor, ignore that, but you should be able to find an option for its native resolution at 144Hz.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

51 minutes ago, sneakysnake128 said:

I just upgraded my monitor to a S3220DGF but even after installing the monitor driver and updating my graphics driver, I don't see a 144hz option. It is connected via DisplayPort. 

I also have 2 other monitors hooked up via HDMI & DVI. 

Running: Sapphire Radeon R9 270 2GB

Are any of your other monitors mirroring (mirroring duplicating, whatever its called). When there's mirroring going on, even if its not the high refresh rate monitor, then windows will lock down the refresh rate of all monitors to the best that the worst one can do.

I ran into this when i got my 240hz monitor, but was hampered by my graphics tablet mirroring on my second monitor which are both 60hz.

2 minutes ago, Quivz said:

Are any of your other monitors mirroring (mirroring duplicating, whatever its called). When there's mirroring going on, even if its not the high refresh rate monitor, then windows will lock down the refresh rate of all monitors to the best that the worst one can do.

I ran into this when i got my 240hz monitor, but was hampered by my graphics tablet mirroring on my second monitor which is 60hz.

No, they are extensions. 

Just now, sneakysnake128 said:

I don't see any modes like this (running Windows 7)

https://i.imgur.com/fTJS8r4.png

In that properties window, click on the monitors tab in the top and there should be a dropdown box with refresh rates in it. does 144 turn up there?

1 hour ago, Quivz said:

In that properties window, click on the monitors tab in the top and there should be a dropdown box with refresh rates in it. does 144 turn up there?

No, that was the first place I checked. 

I honestly don't know why it's not showing. I don't want to have to invest in a new graphics card. 

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/R9-270-GAMING-2G/Specification

1440p at 60Hz is the max this old card is capable of putting out.

Obviously it wouldn't be anywhere near capable of rendering modern games at that framerate anyway.

You might be able to go a bit further up in 1080... but maybe not because >60Hz wasn't a thing anybody cared about back in 2013.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

14 hours ago, Kilrah said:

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/R9-270-GAMING-2G/Specification

1440p at 60Hz is the max this old card is capable of putting out.

Obviously it wouldn't be anywhere near capable of rendering modern games at that framerate anyway.

You might be able to go a bit further up in 1080... but maybe not because >60Hz wasn't a thing anybody cared about back in 2013.

Thanks for that. I'm using this with my old desktop PC. It looks like I'll have to swap my stations after all. 

My other newer PC is running a 1060. What exactly am I missing out on by not using FreeSync?

Nothing, it should work just fine with the 1060.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2