Windows didn't load correctly

Dapper_orang

I'm on a newly built system, it was built around New year's Eve. 

Yesterday It gave me a bsod while playing a game, and another while just sitting on the desktop. this happened within a couple of minutes. On the third restart withing two minutes I get the "windows didn't load correctly" message. 

As far I as know, all my driver's are up to date and I'm not running an overclock on my cpu. 

Does anyone have any clue why this could be happening? 

Thanks in advance

3 minutes ago, Dapper_orang said:

Hello,

What's your PC specs ?

Did you note which BSoD error you got ?

Try reinstalling Windows, one of the BSoD could have made it go bad (happened to me).

This sometimes happens after a BSOD.

I got many BSODs some followed by that message while testing my max OC on my 8700K and RAM.

I just rebooted and it worked again and I had no issues so far, after my OC was stable.

Did you OC or have done anything that might make your system unstable?

My Gaming PC:
Inno3D iChill Black - RTX 4080 - +500 Memory, undervolted Core, 2xCorsair QX120 (push) + 2xInno3D 120mm (pull)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - NZXT x72
G.SKILL Trident Z @6000MHz CL30 - 2x16GB
Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming

1x500GB Samsung 960 Pro (Windows 11)

1x2TB Kingston KC3000 (Games)

1x1TB WD Blue SN550 (Programs)

1x1TB Samsung 870 EVO (Programs)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11 Vision
ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (240hz OLED), MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Wooting 60HE

Audeze LCD2-C + FiiO K3

Klipsch RP600-M + Klipsch R-120 SW

My Notebook:

MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16GB

Proxmox-Cluster:

• Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus Strix X570E F-Gaming, 2x32GB3200MHz ECC, 2x 512GB NVMe ZFS-Mirror (Boot + Testing-VMs), 2x14TB ZFS-Mirror + 1x3TB (TrueNAS-VM), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 10G NIC
  • i7 8700k delidded undervolted, Gigabyte Z390 UD, 4x16GB 3200MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC
  • i5 4670, 3x4GB + 1x8GB 1600MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC

Proxmox-Backup-Server:

• i5 4670, 4x4GB 1600MHz, 2x2TB ZFS-Mirror, 2,5G NIC

1 hour ago, Plouffe said:

Hello,

What's your PC specs ?

Did you note which BSoD error you got ?

Try reinstalling Windows, one of the BSoD could have made it go bad (happened to me).

Pc specs: :)

I9 9900k

corsair vengeance ddr4 3200mhz in a 4*8gb config (running XMP)

MSI gaming X trio 2080S

Asus Rog strix z390 e gaming mobo

Corsair mp510 m.2 boot drive

Samsung 860 Evo secondary drive

Corsair rx750m psu

Noctua nh-d15

One of the error messages was connected to "outdated drivers" if I remember correctly.

The other was, I think, something to do with a drive error

I'm thinking my cpu doesn't like my ram being 3200mhz as it would often crash, until I updated my bios. Before this incident I had been running smoothly for like a month and a half.

I just don't wanna go back to 2133mhz as that is apparently the base speed of my memory, and I have no idea how to overclock on my own.

Are there any programs I can use to check if all my driver's are up to date? 

Edited by Dapper_orang
Forgot a thing

1 hour ago, Noah0302 said:

This sometimes happens after a BSOD.

I got many BSODs some followed by that message while testing my max OC on my 8700K and RAM.

I just rebooted and it worked again and I had no issues so far, after my OC was stable.

Did you OC or have done anything that might make your system unstable?

Pc specs: :)

I9 9900k

corsair vengeance ddr4 3200mhz in a 4*8gb config (running XMP)

MSI gaming X trio 2080S

Asus Rog strix z390 e gaming mobo

Corsair mp510 m.2 boot drive

Samsung 860 Evo secondary drive

Corsair rx750m psu

Noctua nh-d15

Currently not running an OC on the cpu, but I do have my gpu offset by like 75mhz

One of the error messages was connected to "outdated drivers" if I remember correctly.

The other was, I think, something to do with a drive error

I'm thinking my cpu doesn't like my ram being 3200mhz as it would often crash, until I updated my bios. Before this incident I had been running smoothly for like a month and a half.

I just don't wanna go back to 2133mhz as that is apparently the base speed of my memory, and I have no idea how to overclock on my own.

If this happened after a bios update you could revert to the previous bios, never do bios update unless necessary btw, I learnt that the hard way too :P

8 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

If this happened after a bios update you could revert to the previous bios, never do bios update unless necessary btw, I learnt that the hard way too :P

It was necessary, the factory drivers were horribly unstable and capped my cpu to 3,6ghz all core boost.

Just now, Dapper_orang said:

It was necessary, the factory drivers were horribly unstable and capped my cpu to 3,6ghz all core boost.

Do you experience BSoD if the XMP profile is disable ?

Do you experience BSoD if the XMP profile is disable ?

I haven't tried it yet, but I have been using the system for the last 3ish hours and haven't bsod'ed yet. Next time it happens I'm definitely gonna try that.

I guess I'll just have to learn how to overclock the ram safely myself :) I've heard that xmp is pretty hit or miss

19 minutes ago, Dapper_orang said:

I haven't tried it yet, but I have been using the system for the last 3ish hours and haven't bsod'ed yet. Next time it happens I'm definitely gonna try that.

I guess I'll just have to learn how to overclock the ram safely myself :) I've heard that xmp is pretty hit or miss

Yeah unless it is certified it can happen to cause BSoD, still keep in mind that a BSoD can alter some files from Windows and you need either to repair or reinstal it :)

Yeah unless it is certified it can happen to cause BSoD, still keep in mind that a BSoD can alter some files from Windows and you need either to repair or reinstal it :)

How do I repair? If there are any damages files

I had two bsods on two different computers last week. It was always related to faulty hardware, not drivers or settings. It's always good to check everything in hardware before you do anything with your files. It may be really anything - bad CPU (my last case, old not tested CPU), sound card, memory, overclocking, cables. Focusing on software is a mistake - if something is wrong with hardware, reinstalling system or any other files may make it even worse. Some people are afraid that because of bsod some files may be damaged. Now imagine how many files may be damaged if you start installing system on faulty hardware.

If you're experiencing BSODs, reinstalling system should be your very last option, not first. First should be diagnosis what is really wrong. You may use existing system, bootable usb with linux, separate drive with other system - anything, but installing system if you don't know what is wrong.

2 hours ago, Plouffe said:

it bsod'ed again, this time while just browsing youtube. the code i got this time was KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. after a little research i worked out that its probably my ram, and i have turned off xmp now. any inputs? :)

EDIT: I just ran cinebench r20 and somehow got a higher score (+200~) with the ram at 2133mhz. I'm guessing something is weird with it

it bsod'ed again, this time while just browsing youtube. the code i got this time was KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. after a little research i worked out that its probably my ram, and i have turned off xmp now. any inputs? :)

Run memtest86 to see if your ram have errors in them, if not, then it means the XMP doesn't work out of the box. If there are errors you should RMA them (usually they have a lifetime warranty).

31 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Run memtest86 to see if your ram have errors in them, if not, then it means the XMP doesn't work out of the box. If there are errors you should RMA them (usually they have a lifetime warranty).

how do i run the memtest? im an idiot at the software side of pcs

4 minutes ago, Dapper_orang said:

how do i run the memtest? im an idiot at the software side of pcs

You need to create a boot drive on a flash drive, restart the computer, go in the bios and open it from there :

https://www.memtest86.com/tech_creating-window.html
https://www.memtest86.com/tech_booting-memtest.html

Do note that this take a while (around 2 to 4h).

2 hours ago, Plouffe said:

You need to create a boot drive on a flash drive, restart the computer, go in the bios and open it from there :

https://www.memtest86.com/tech_creating-window.html
https://www.memtest86.com/tech_booting-memtest.html

Do note that this take a while (around 2 to 4h).

my friend suggested I use aida64 instead, is there reason you're suggesting memtest?

3 hours ago, Dapper_orang said:

my friend suggested I use aida64 instead, is there reason you're suggesting memtest?

He suggested because he wants to help. Less taking, more testing. :)

10 hours ago, Dapper_orang said:

Well aida64 is a test to stress you computer, if it BSoD you won't really know where it comes from. At least memtest86 will make sure it's memory related or not :)

you could try flashing the bios again as something could have gone wrong.

9 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Well aida64 is a test to stress you computer, if it BSoD you won't really know where it comes from. At least memtest86 will make sure it's memory related or not :)

you could try flashing the bios again as something could have gone wrong.

I see :)

I've been doing a lot of googling and figured out that intel doesn't really like +3000mhz, without the cpu also being overclocked.

My build seems stable now that I have turned off xmp, and I am in the process of figuring out how to manually overclock my ram to something more sensible, like 2666mhz

It's really nice to have these forums to turn to, when you don't know anyone who's good at this sort of stuff.

Thanks again