RAM not working properly

Go to solution Solved by ThatLostGuy,

Alright well don't ask me how or why, but after running the Windows Memory Diagnostic and reseating my sticks once again, all is now working as intended.

Maybe this is a result of all your suggestions combined, can't really tell.

Guess I'll take it :)

Hey all !

Fist of all, here are my specs so you can follow along :

MSI B350 Gaming plus

4 x HyperX Fury Black DDR4 2133 MHz CL14

Ryzen 5 1600

ASUS GTX 1080ti Strix

My issues : first of all, my sticks aren't running at their full potential (2133mhz), locked at 1066mhz. I tried enabling xmp in UEFI, that was the #1 reccomandation to fix it. Didn't work, stayed locked at 1066mhz.

Trying to do that, I also figured out that my system only used 8gb of the total 16 installed. In Task manager it says 16 installed but 8 usabled. So I tried modifying the advanced boot options, first clearing that little checkbox, didn't change a thing. Then I tried entering the total amount of ram 16384, didn't work either : system still used only 8 out of 16.

Any ideas on what's causing this ? Why am I limited to dual channel, can't I enable quad ?

From what I can find online all my parts are compatible, the sticks are all the same. The motherboard can take that much. 

1 minute ago, ThatLostGuy said:

Hello,

It's actually running at the normal speed : 1066MHz DRAM = 2133MHz RAM (in short).

For the other part, I can't help, I'm not great at troubleshouting ram.

26 minutes ago, ThatLostGuy said:

My issues : first of all, my sticks aren't running at their full potential (2133mhz), locked at 1066mhz. I tried enabling xmp in UEFI, that was the #1 reccomandation to fix it. Didn't work, stayed locked at 1066mhz.

Long story short, the 2133Mhz advertised is actually 2133MT/s. (Mega)transfers a second. Every transfer, it transfers two things. That is why it is called DDR; double data rate.

If a program like CPU-Z says your RAM is running at 1066Mhz; it's correct. That is 2133MT/s, which is advertised at 2133Mhz.

26 minutes ago, ThatLostGuy said:

Trying to do that, I also figured out that my system only used 8gb of the total 16 installed. In Task manager it says 16 installed but 8 usabled. So I tried modifying the advanced boot options, first clearing that little checkbox, didn't change a thing. Then I tried entering the total amount of ram 16384, didn't work either : system still used only 8 out of 16.

What do you mean by that?

Does task manager still show 16GB available?

Keep in mind your system will only use as much RAM as needed.

If you are worried 8GB is not working, run a memory diagnostic check (search that in Windows).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Plouffe said:

It's actually running at the normal speed : 1066MHz DRAM = 2133MHz RAM (in short).

Care to elaborate on that just a bit, so I understand it ? 
Thanks for the input

stick them in slots 2 and 4. as for the speed, they run at the right speed. D in DRAM stands for double. the software shows 1066, but the actual speed is double, so the ram is working fine.

Edit: all I said was wrong.

6 minutes ago, minibois said:

What do you mean by that?

Does task manager still show 16GB available?

Keep in mind your system will only use as much RAM as needed.

Alright thanks for the mhz insight, won't try to push it further then :)

About the 8 usable gb of ram : the task manager says : 16 installed, 8 usable. But when I check in the UEFI, the specs summary says "Memory size 8192mb"

Alright thanks for the mhz insight, won't try to push it further then :)

About the 8 usable gb of ram : the task manager says : 16 installed, 8 usable. But when I check in the UEFI, the specs summary says "Memory size 8192mn"

Reseat the memory. Or take out all the memory sticks and try them out one after another in slot 2. That way you know what the issue is. The memory stick, slot or the combination of all.

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

stick them in slots 2 and 4.

The OP:

11 minutes ago, ThatLostGuy said:

4 x HyperX Fury Black (2x 4Go) DDR4 2133 MHz CL14

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

D in DRAM stands for double.

No, it stands for dynamic. Dynamic Random Access Memory.

The D in DDR stands for Double though.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

Reseat the memory. Or take out all the memory sticks and try them out one after another in slot 2. That way you know what the issue is. The memory stick, slot or the combination of all.

The OP:

No, it stands for dynamic. Dynamic Random Access Memory.

The D in DDR stands for Double though.

right, sorry.

9 minutes ago, minibois said:

Not sure what reseating means. Will try to plug them one by one though, I'll keep you noticed once tested. 

Before I go do that, can't the CPU have anything to do with that ? I read that the cpu has some implication in dual/quad channel management.

Thanks for your help

Not sure what reseating means. Will try to plug them one by one though, I'll keep you noticed once tested. 

Before I go do that, can't the CPU have anything to do with that ? I read that the cpu has some implication in dual/quad channel management.

Thanks for your help

Reseating just means take out the RAM and insert it back in, so ensure there are no bad connection.

I would go into your BIOS and see what RAM sticks are detected and which are not.

This CPU supports dual channel, which means four sticks of memory is two dual channels. Should at least boot up and work.

Unless of course pins have been bent, which could case a channel to not work.

12 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

right, sorry.

No need to apologize and sorry if I sounded kinda rude. Just wanted to make sure there weren't any mixed messages in this thread (like if DDR or DRAM had 'double'  in the name)

You have 2x4gb ram or 4x4gb ram?

You description isnt clear:

4 x HyperX Fury Black (2x 4Go) DDR4 2133 MHz CL14

Just now, RainingTacco said:

You have 2x4gb ram or 4x4gb ram?

You description isnt clear:

Yep sorry that's my bad, I copied and pasted the retailer descprition

I have 4x4. bought 2 kits of 2x4.

Test every DIMM slot if it's working properly. Then test every channel. Maybe your motherboard has faulty memory controller? 

16 minutes ago, minibois said:

I would go into your BIOS and see what RAM sticks are detected and which are not.

Alright, done testing all the sticks. All of them read without any problem in slot 2. 
When chekcing in BIos with all 4 plugged in, they all appear normally.

So no further ideas on why this ain't working ? :')

I'm almost confused enough to simply buy 2x8, that will save me the trouble x)

Alright well don't ask me how or why, but after running the Windows Memory Diagnostic and reseating my sticks once again, all is now working as intended.

Maybe this is a result of all your suggestions combined, can't really tell.

Guess I'll take it :)