Question about RGB/LED Cooling fans and hub

KLEB

Hello,

I am trying to put total of 6 to 8 air cooling fans  (3 front, 1 rear, 2 top, and maybe 2 bottom) in my case,

and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to connect all of these fan cables to the motherboard.

There's a RGB hub and LED hub in the back of the case and i can only insert 6 cables to the RGB hub as well. 

Do I need to put another RGB hub? I have extra 2 hub.

Also, do I need to buy a fan splitter to install all 6 to 8 cables on the motherboard?

Thank you in advance!

Unless your mainboard has that many fan connections, then youll need a splitter.

I have a total of 12 fans in my System.

6 are connected to corsair commander

3 to my motherboard

3 to my aio.

The RGB is handled by 3 lighting nodes from corsair.

Thats just an example and only works for corsair fans. Yours might be different, since you have not said what fans or motherboard youre using

My Gaming PC:
Inno3D iChill Black - RTX 4080 - +500 Memory, undervolted Core, 2xCorsair QX120 (push) + 2xInno3D 120mm (pull)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - NZXT x72
G.SKILL Trident Z @6000MHz CL30 - 2x16GB
Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming

1x500GB Samsung 960 Pro (Windows 11)

1x2TB Kingston KC3000 (Games)

1x1TB WD Blue SN550 (Programs)

1x1TB Samsung 870 EVO (Programs)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11 Vision
ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (240hz OLED), MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Wooting 60HE

Audeze LCD2-C + FiiO K3

Klipsch RP600-M + Klipsch R-120 SW

My Notebook:

MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16GB

Proxmox-Cluster:

• Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus Strix X570E F-Gaming, 2x32GB3200MHz ECC, 2x 512GB NVMe ZFS-Mirror (Boot + Testing-VMs), 2x14TB ZFS-Mirror + 1x3TB (TrueNAS-VM), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 10G NIC
  • i7 8700k delidded undervolted, Gigabyte Z390 UD, 4x16GB 3200MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC
  • i5 4670, 3x4GB + 1x8GB 1600MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC

Proxmox-Backup-Server:

• i5 4670, 4x4GB 1600MHz, 2x2TB ZFS-Mirror, 2,5G NIC

3 minutes ago, Noah0302 said:

Unless your mainboard has that many fan connections, then youll need a splitter.

I have a total of 12 fans in my System.

6 are connected to corsair commander

3 to my motherboard

3 to my aio.

The RGB is handled by 3 lighting nodes from corsair.

Thats just an example and only works for corsair fans. Yours might be different, since you have not said what fans or motherboard youre using

I have asus rog maxmius xi hero motherboard and all of my fans are Corsair LL 120mm rgb fans. I'm still confused about the rgb hub which has 6 cable slots which I guess is perfect? for 6 fans but what if I go with 8 fans?
Don't I have to connect fan cables to rgb hub in the back to have rgb/led controls

8 minutes ago, KLEB said:

I have asus rog maxmius xi hero motherboard and all of my fans are Corsair LL 120mm rgb fans. I'm still confused about the rgb hub which has 6 cable slots which I guess is perfect? for 6 fans but what if I go with 8 fans?
Don't I have to connect fan cables to rgb hub in the back to have rgb/led controls

What sort of hubs do you have?

I think your best bet is getting a Commander Pro and 2 RGB Hubs and connecting it like this:

Spoiler

s6LvseMh.png

You would need 2 RGB hubs, both connected to the RGB Fan LED Hub, those connected to another Corsair hub (like a Commander Pro or Node Pro). Then with fan power/control you can either go to the Commander Pro, or to your motherboard. With 8 fans I would say connect 6 to a Commander Pro and 2 to your motherboard.

What setup do you exactly have? What hubs, controllers, etc. do you have? Do you have a Corsair watercooler?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

What sort of hubs do you have?

I think your best bet is getting a Commander Pro and 2 RGB Hubs and connecting it like this:

Reveal hidden contents

s6LvseMh.png

You would need 2 RGB hubs, both connected to the RGB Fan LED Hub, those connected to another Corsair hub (like a Commander Pro or Node Pro). Then with fan power/control you can either go to the Commander Pro, or to your motherboard. With 8 fans I would say connect 6 to a Commander Pro and 2 to your motherboard.

What setup do you exactly have? What hubs, controllers, etc. do you have? Do you have a Corsair watercooler?

It just says Corsair RGB HUB with number 1 through 6. This was included in the package (corsair LL 120mm fans) that i bought.

I have noctua nh d15 chromax.black cooler. I'm not fully understanding how rgb fans work. I thought i would need to plug all of the 6 or 8 fan cables to rgb hub first instead of putting some of them on the motherboard in order to be able to control and set colors. 

Just now, KLEB said:

It just says Corsair RGB HUB with number 1 through 6. This was included in the package (corsair LL 120mm fans) that i bought.

I have noctua nh d15 chromax.black cooler. I'm not fully understanding how rgb fans work. I thought i would need to plug all of the 6 or 8 fan cables to rgb hub first instead of putting some of them on the motherboard in order to be able to control and set colors. 

Corsair LL fans have two cables. One is solely for RGB, the other is a 'normal'/'universal' fan header for power (so it spins).

The picture I posted in my previous post shows these two cables as different colors.

Depending on what you have right now (in terms of controllers, ports on your PC, etc.) you may need different parts.

Can you tell me exactly what fans you have, what controllers you have and what motherboard you have. Please include the quantity of fans and controllers too.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, KLEB said:

maybe I should buy a thing called Commander Pro? to have all 6 rgb fans working. I only have 1 rgb hub and 1 small LED hub installed in the back of my case

Corsair LL fans have two cables. One is solely for RGB, the other is a 'normal'/'universal' fan header for power (so it spins).

The picture I posted in my previous post shows these two cables as different colors.

Depending on what you have right now (in terms of controllers, ports on your PC, etc.) you may need different parts.

Can you tell me exactly what fans you have, what controllers you have and what motherboard you have. Please include the quantity of fans and controllers too.

my fan is Corsair LL Series LL120 RGB 120mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fan 3 Fan Pack with Lighting Node Pro

controllers I'm not so sure about this. maybe i need to buy one. I only got total of 2 rgb hubs from each fan(x3) package and 1 rgb hub and 1 LED hub pre installed in the case since this corsair 680x case already had corsair fans. I already switched pre installed fans to the ones that i bought tho. if that matters.

Motherboard: asus rog maximus xi hero

Thank you so much for your help! 

Just now, KLEB said:

my fan is Corsair LL Series LL120 RGB 120mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fan 3 Fan Pack with Lighting Node Pro

controllers I'm not so sure about this. maybe i need to buy one. I only got total of 2 rgb hubs from each fan(x3) package and 1 rgb hub and 1 LED hub pre installed in the case since this corsair 680x case already had corsair fans.

Motherboard: asus rog maximus xi hero

Thank you so much for your help! 

Did you buy two packs of 'LL120 3 pack'?

So you have 6 LL120 fans, 2 RGB LED hubs, 2 Lighting Node Pro (that's the small 'hub') and your Noctua cooler fans? 
Are you going to be using the fans that came in the case?

Did you buy two packs of 'LL120 3 pack'?

So you have 6 LL120 fans, 2 RGB LED hubs, 2 Lighting Node Pro (that's the small 'hub') and your Noctua cooler fans? 
Are you going to be using the fans that came in the case?

Yes. If i'm going to go with 6 fans total, I would use my 2 packs of LL 120 3 pack (total 6fans, replacing pre installed case fan).

If i were to go with 8 fans total (adding 2 more fans at the bottom of the case), I was going to use 2 of the 3 pre installed case fan at the bottom.

Honestly, I think it'll be enough with 6 fans and 8fans it would make things more complicated but idk tbh.. maybe i should have bought prebuild one :/

Noctua fan I'm only using 1 fan in the middle cuz of the ram clearance, and i already installed the cable on the motherboard at the cpu cooler spot.

2 hours ago, KLEB said:

Yes. If i'm going to go with 6 fans total, I would use my 2 packs of LL 120 3 pack (total 6fans, replacing pre installed case fan).

If i were to go with 8 fans total (adding 2 more fans at the bottom of the case), I was going to use 2 of the 3 pre installed case fan at the bottom.

Honestly, I think it'll be enough with 6 fans and 8fans it would make things more complicated but idk tbh.. maybe i should have bought prebuild one :/

Oh, so you're going for 6 LL120 fans and 2 fans on your CPU cooler (Noctua)?

Then you need to connect it like so:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6f08dcde7704f1a41521bdd16b751510.png

You have most of what you need, you just need to get two fan splitters, so you can connect 6 fans to the 4 fan headers on your motherboard.

Then you also need to connect your Noctua cooler's fan to the motherboard, which your motherboard has two places for.

You connect all the fans (the green wires in the diagram above and your Noctua fans) here:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9e1490491a0ee547f1396f6a77ea47a2.png

For 8 fans you will need this setup (which requires an extra two fan splitters):

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.dd13cae16d6b10fa5c67d069fd074155.png

EDIT: I feel like I should mention I didn't make these pictures from scratch, but took a picture from Zotty's excellent post over on the Corsair forum and edited it to fit OP's case:

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

17 minutes ago, minibois said:

Oh, so you're going for 6 LL120 fans and 2 fans on your CPU cooler (Noctua)?

Then you need to connect it like so:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.6f08dcde7704f1a41521bdd16b751510.png

You have most of what you need, you just need to get two fan splitters, so you can connect 6 fans to the 4 fan headers on your motherboard.

Then you also need to connect your Noctua cooler's fan to the motherboard, which your motherboard has two places for.

You connect all the fans (the green wires in the diagram above and your Noctua fans) here:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.9e1490491a0ee547f1396f6a77ea47a2.png

For 8 fans you will need this setup (which requires an extra two fan splitters):

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.dd13cae16d6b10fa5c67d069fd074155.png

wow although I'm a newbie in pc building but this helps me understand so much better. thank you so much for your time and effort!! I guess i'll go with 8 fans so I'll buy 4 fan splitters like this model right here? https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Black-Sleeved-Splitter-Converter/dp/B01EF9OI0O/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=fan+splitter&qid=1582722277&sr=8-3   this product is already 2 pack so i guess i can buy 2 of these to make it total 4 fan splitters. for my corsair fans.

For noctua, i'm only using 1 fan instead of 2, and i already installed in the cpu fan slot. i guess i'm good with noctua fan installation?

2 minutes ago, KLEB said:

wow although I'm a newbie in pc building but this helps me understand so much better. thank you so much for your time and effort!! I guess i'll go with 8 fans so I'll buy 4 fan splitters like this model right here? https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Black-Sleeved-Splitter-Converter/dp/B01EF9OI0O/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=fan+splitter&qid=1582722277&sr=8-3   this product is already 2 pack so i guess i can buy 2 of these to make it total 4 fan splitters. for my corsair fans.

For noctua, i'm only using 1 fan instead of 2, and i already installed in the cpu fan slot. i guess i'm good with noctua fan installation?

Yep, just get yourself two of that 2 pack and you're all set for fan headers :)

I do have to kind of warn you, cable management can be a bit of a hassle. Of course you have 8 fans, which have a total of 16 cables (RGB + fan cable), going to two hubs, which goes to a Node Pro (which all have SATA power input), etc.

So do get yourself some twist ties and allow yourself some time to properly manage all the cables away.

One of the fan headers on the motherboard is kind of out of the away (the green header on the left side of the board). It may be easier to not use that one and instead use the leftover CPU_OPT header that is on the top of the board. That way you don't have cable dangling basically in the middle of the case and can properly route the cables in the back tray.

Both the RGB fan hubs + Node Pro need SATA power in, which comes from your PSU. 

The wire on the Node Pro, on the right side of the picture goes into the USB 2.0 header of your board. If you look at the picture/diagram of your motherboard, that is one of the two connectors on the bottom right, marked with the '15'.

Glad to be of help to you, if you have any additional questions, I would be happy to help!

14 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yep, just get yourself two of that 2 pack and you're all set for fan headers :)

I do have to kind of warn you, cable management can be a bit of a hassle. Of course you have 8 fans, which have a total of 16 cables (RGB + fan cable), going to two hubs, which goes to a Node Pro (which all have SATA power input), etc.

So do get yourself some twist ties and allow yourself some time to properly manage all the cables away.

One of the fan headers on the motherboard is kind of out of the away (the green header on the left side of the board). It may be easier to not use that one and instead use the leftover CPU_OPT header that is on the top of the board. That way you don't have cable dangling basically in the middle of the case and can properly route the cables in the back tray.

Both the RGB fan hubs + Node Pro need SATA power in, which comes from your PSU. 

The wire on the Node Pro, on the right side of the picture goes into the USB 2.0 header of your board. If you look at the picture/diagram of your motherboard, that is one of the two connectors on the bottom right, marked with the '15'.

Glad to be of help to you, if you have any additional questions, I would be happy to help!

I am finally starting to understand things about all this and I don't know how to thank you more! I'll order those fan splitters and make sure i do the cable management carefully. I will ask your help if you have time when I struggle again with those additional components!

Thank you!!