100% CPU and Memory usage in games

Psydexx

Hey so I got my pc about 1-2 years ago, and whenever I would play something such as GTA V or Rust it would load quickly and just fine. In the last few months, whenever I do try load into these games my pc takes FAAAR longer to load in, but also, my PC sounds like a jet engine ? . I don't know if there's a simple fix that I can do, or I just need to upgrade my PC or get a new one.

My PC: G3-710 ACER PREDATOR 1070 

CPU: i5 7400

Ram: 8gb

Secondary storage: 2TB HDD

Thank you

When launching and playing the games take a look at your Task Manager and look for what other processes takes up resources.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

When launching and playing the games take a look at your Task Manager and look for what other processes takes up resources.

Taskmanager is useless in determining the utilization of gpu/cpu in games. You need a good monitor program, like e.g. Afterburner

If there's a process running in the background using up ram/cpu it will already be there before any game is started. Then taskmanager could be the tool to find it.

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

Taskmanager is useless in determining the utilization of gpu/cpu in games. You need a good monitor program, like e.g. Afterburner

I can agree on Task Manager being useless for monitoring GPU utilization, but for monitoring CPU, RAM and disk usage it does the job perfectly fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i agree with upti here, i'm also wondering tho, you're stating a 2ndary harddrive, but what is your primary? an SSD?

Has the game moved from the SSD to the harddrive? this could explain the slowness compared to when you had it new.

But perhaps, since you 'only' have 8gb of memory, there is too much background programs using this memory and your games are forced to use the pagefile (if you still have this enabled), in this case, it will be noticeably slower.

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

1 hour ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Well when in games it tends to remain about 100% CPU usage and 100% disk usage. However sometimes while I'm using Google Chrome it says 100% disk usage. I know that I definitely need to upgrade to SSD but this never happened before which I find really odd :/

1 hour ago, Caennanu said:

i agree with upti here, i'm also wondering tho, you're stating a 2ndary harddrive, but what is your primary? an SSD?

Has the game moved from the SSD to the harddrive? this could explain the slowness compared to when you had it new.

But perhaps, since you 'only' have 8gb of memory, there is too much background programs using this memory and your games are forced to use the pagefile (if you still have this enabled), in this case, it will be noticeably slower.

Secondary storage devices are non volatile memory so I refered to my HDD as secondary as that is non volatile, whereas primary is volatile and is memory such as RAM.

But yes I agree that I need more RAM especially for games such as Rust or just for using Google Chrome. I just am a bit confused because the RAM stick said 2666MHz, is that something I should be worried about (should I get a higjer frequency or lower frequency?)

1 hour ago, Psydexx said:

Hey so I got my pc about 1-2 years ago, and whenever I would play something such as GTA V or Rust it would load quickly and just fine. In the last few months, whenever I do try load into these games my pc takes FAAAR longer to load in, but also, my PC sounds like a jet engine ? . I don't know if there's a simple fix that I can do, or I just need to upgrade my PC or get a new one.

My PC: G3-710 ACER PREDATOR 1070 

CPU: i5 7400

Ram: 8gb

Secondary storage: 2TB HDD

Thank you

Seems like a thermal issue. Clean out the dust and replace the thermal paste.

2 hours ago, Psydexx said:

Well when in games it tends to remain about 100% CPU usage and 100% disk usage. However sometimes while I'm using Google Chrome it says 100% disk usage. I know that I definitely need to upgrade to SSD but this never happened before which I find really odd :/

When you look at the Task Manager try and look for processes other than the game that you're playing and see if they are taking resources. Then maybe try and close them and see if that helps.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, ZzLy said:

Seems like a thermal issue. Clean out the dust and replace the thermal paste.

Oh okay

2 hours ago, Uptivuptiz said:

When you look at the Task Manager try and look for processes other than the game that you're playing and see if they are taking resources. Then maybe try and close them and see if that helps.

Well there always processes that take up like 0.1-1%, but then the game tends to take up like 70-98% of the CPU processes from what I last remembered. I'll check again but I'm busy this week