FTP over internet

George.
1 hour ago, George. said:

Well I initially designed it as a file server for me and my family to use while away from LAN. (I live in another city because of University...and the server is at their house, so I had to setup remote router settings first). My ISP provides a PPPoE network over fiber and that pretty much all I know about them tech-wise. They give me a username and password to access the internet. I guess I'll just leave it as it is now - at least my parents have a working home media server  and a ftp server and sharing files between all devices is easier. 

I will figure sth out in the future. Maybe a raspberry pi or an old otherwise purposeless laptop. 

Laptops are indeed actually very useful for this sort of thing if you don't need a multi-drive NAS.  Using my old one as a VoIP server at the moment as it means its automatically got battery backup and they naturally are designed to be lower power consumption devices than desktops.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

So what you can try is to put your router to passthrough and configure ports on your modem to forward that port.