Help with my new and first build

Hello everyone,

This an update for my previous post.

So, here's the scenario. I want to build a new PC for my cousin. The details are listed as below :-

Budget: $1000 (± $50).

Usage: Mainly used for daily web browsing and watching movies. Also, the system would be used by for casual gaming for games like GTA V, CS:GO, CoD, etc. Apart from that, he would be doing occasional beginner level video encoding using software like Handbrake.

Build Type: ATX with no RGB, as he wants to keep it low profile.

Before I list down the configuration planned by me, here is what he have in hand and hence would be used in the new configuration.

Some of the parts would be upgraded or changed in near future.

1. Input peripherals - Keyboard & Mouse
  2. A display monitor
  3. A speaker system
  4. A cabinet.

So, after doing my research and watching various YouTube videos, the following is what I've planned for now, and your feedbacks and suggestions are welcomed for the same. Also, one important, I want to give him a system future proof, i.e., it should be good enough for 6-8 yrs. to come.

• CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 [ since this what most have recommended as the best value for money device though I would appreciate your reviews over Ryzen 5  3400G, and its performance with Ryzen 5 3600 ]
  • Cooler: Stock since I won't be doing overclocking to it.
  • Motherboard: I'm a bit confused about which one to choose. As of now I've decided to go with a AMD x570 chipset based motherboard since they've PCIe Gen 4 support, or with a x450 chipset since it would be cheaper.
    [ Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (for x570) || OR || MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (for x450) ]
  • Memory: I've in mind to use 16GB of DDR4-3200MHz RAM in 8x2 configuration (preferably) or 16x1.
  • Storage: It would be a combination of HDD & SSD, with HDD for storage purpose and SSD for OS boot mainly.
                   For HDD, I've decided to go with a Seagate Barracuda 2TB @ 7200RPM.
                   For SSD, I'm undecided with which one to choose, a 2.5" SATA based or a M.2 based. But, a 500GB one should be more than enough for him.
  • Video/Graphics Card: MSI GeForce 1660 Ventus Super 6GB.
  • Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W, if that goes fine with the build.

Hope I did provide y'all with sufficient details about my build. I welcome your suggestions, recommendations and feedback upon the same.

Thank You to everyone who helps in advance.

Peace!

SSD : Crucial P1, Samsung 970

GPU : you must use gpu for 3600, i recommend 5600xt or gtx1660

PSU : Corsair 550w.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

7 minutes ago, Alpha Sniper said:

Hello,

You don't need HDMI or DP on the motherboard if you go with a 3600 as it doesn't have an iGPU. You do need a GPU though since your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics.

x570 motherboard won't help you, it's overpriced for your use. If you go this route anyway, the MSI A-Pro x570 is one of the worst, the TUF is a very solid choice.

8x2 is better than 1x16 for Ryzen.

I'd go with something like this :

4 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

SSD : Crucial P1, Samsung 970

GPU : you must use gpu for 3600, i recommend 5600xt or gtx1660

PSU : Corsair 550w.

Firstly, thanks for replying.

And, I won't be installing a GPU at this very moment, but I'll for sure soon. Since, I've a separate budget for GPU, hence not including it in this budget. Also, even I was of the belief that a GTX 1660 would be great.

So, if you do have any other recommendation for GPU then do let me know.

4 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Hello,

You don't need HDMI or DP on the motherboard if you go with a 3600 as it doesn't have an iGPU. You do need a GPU though since your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics.

x570 motherboard won't help you, it's overpriced for your use. If you go this route anyway, the MSI A-Pro x570 is one of the worst, the TUF is a very solid choice.

8x2 is better than 1x16 for Ryzen.

I'd go with something like this :

Firstly, thanks for replying and suggestions as well as feedback. And, oh I didn't knew there was any website like this which could be used to build my PC.

Also, a kind of stupid question to ask, do we really need a GPU if iGPU is not there for the system to even work properly ?

And, may I know why did you recommend that I shouldn't opt for the x570 series, and instead opt for a x450 series one  ?

15 minutes ago, Alpha Sniper said:

Firstly, thanks for replying.

And, I won't be installing a GPU at this very moment, but I'll for sure soon. Since, I've a separate budget for GPU, hence not including it in this budget. Also, even I was of the belief that a GTX 1660 would be great.

So, if you do have any other recommendation for GPU then do let me know.

What he's trying to tell you is that your PC won't output video to a monitor without some kind of graphics processor in it. Like literally nothing will show. Ryzen boasts don't include onboard graphics, nor do any Ryzen CPUs unless they end in "G" (R3 2/3200G and R5 2/3400G).

So unless you don't plan to use the PC until such a time as you've got this additional budget spent on a GPU, you need to reconfigure to include graphics. 

5 hours ago, Alpha Sniper said:

I'm a bit skeptical if I should use a 8GBx2 or 16GBx1 configuration.

Two sticks. Single channel memory throttles CPU performance. Dual channel is ideal. 

8 minutes ago, Alpha Sniper said:

Also, a kind of stupid question to ask, do we really need a GPU if iGPU is not there for the system to even work properly ?

And, may I know why did you recommend that I shouldn't opt for the x570 series, and instead opt for a x450 series one  ?

1st question was answered above :)

So that's why I added a GPU too in the build.

2nd question, for your use case, you don't need a x570, they are overpriced while the motherboard I linked works with Zen 2 and is more than enough especially if not overclocking.

3 hours ago, trevb0t said:

What he's trying to tell you is that your PC won't output video to a monitor without some kind of graphics processor in it. Like literally nothing will show. Ryzen boasts don't include onboard graphics, nor do any Ryzen CPUs unless they end in "G" (R3 2/3200G and R5 2/3400G).

So unless you don't plan to use the PC until such a time as you've got this additional budget spent on a GPU, you need to reconfigure to include graphics. 

Two sticks. Single channel memory throttles CPU performance. Dual channel is ideal. 

Well, this is not I've planned for, and this is not the kind of surprise that I was expecting. ???

In that case I would definitely require a GPU.

And, thanks for clarifying my doubt with RAM sticks configuration too. ?‍♂️

3 hours ago, Plouffe said:

1st question was answered above :)

So that's why I added a GPU too in the build.

2nd question, for your use case, you don't need a x570, they are overpriced while the motherboard I linked works with Zen 2 and is more than enough especially if not overclocking.

Thank You once again @Plouffe. I surely would refer and consult to your PC part list when I buy the parts.