Third party software dependant/independent backup

jonig

I'm considering using a free backup service like EaseUS Todo Backup Free to backup my files. The problem I see is that if some day I need to recover my files, I will need to use this software to do so. Is there any way to perform backups (with encryption) with no third party software dependencies?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, jonig said:

I'm considering using a free backup service like EaseUS Todo Backup Free to backup my files. The problem I see is that if some day I need to recover my files, I will need to use this software to do so. Is there any way to perform backups (with encryption) with no third party software dependencies?

Thanks.

Why not use a backup hdd or usb stick and encrypt it.

1 minute ago, greenmax said:

Why not use a backup hdd or usb stick and encrypt it.

Sure, but I was thinking in something that would allow me to do incremental backps or sync my files, so I would not have to copy all my files everytime I do the backup.

13 minutes ago, jonig said:

Sure, but I was thinking in something that would allow me to do incremental backps or sync my files, so I would not have to copy all my files everytime I do the backup.

unless you're doing a "live" backup solution (onedrive and its competitors) you'll always have to copy the amount of data, because to make an incremental backup you'd have to determine changes, which essentially requires all data to be transferred one way or the other.

that said, you could for example backup to a synology, which takes incremental backups of itself (make sure to pick up a model that supports incremental backups, if you do)

so restore from backup would simply be copypaste the most recent version, and if you'd need an older version you'd let the synology fish that out one of its backups.

besides that, there's some ways to shoehorn shadowcopy back into windows 10, but i've never delved into that.