Tablet search

Jtalk4456

Ok so I have 5 kids, 2 of which are old enough to use a tablet. Grandparents decided to go ahead and get them a tablet each, which I appreciate. Problem is the tablets they got them are garbage. It takes a solid couple of minutes for the google play store to open. When I save up some money, we're gonna get different ones, but I really don't know the tablet market at all. 

Needs:

2x Tablets

Android based

not ridiculously expensive, maybe up to 100 each

can hold and easily run 3-5 games from the play store. Nothing too fancy, just some kids games. Also will have the family link app on them

easy to find a nice kid proof case for

durable on it's own as well

Can be any normal tablet size, doesn't need to be ipad size or anything

Any suggestions?

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Amazon Fire Kid

We have the 7” 7th edition and its brilliant.

We had the 4th or 5th first but replaced it as after two years the device was super slow and the battery struggled to change. The device is so cheap and the service you get more than makes up for the limited lifespan.

There is literally no competition here as you know its very well curated, is world leading in parental controls and is also very educational.

It takes some getting used to from a parents side if your not familiar with Fire devices but other than that its pretty much the go to device for all the parents I know. 

Also the content is very age appropriate, ours is set to show stuff our child’s age plus or minus one year so its never too challenging or too easy.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

58 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

Amazon Fire Kid

Maybe I'm out of touch here, but I thought Amazon Fire Tablets run their own OS instead of Android?

Can the new ones run google play store?

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

19 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Maybe I'm out of touch here, but I thought Amazon Fire Tablets run their own OS instead of Android?

Can the new ones run google play store?

You log into the OS in the background and then into the kids OS which runs on top of that.

I cant recommend them highly enough and they are worth any drawbacks they have.

I don’t know why you need some of those criteria you set but I personally would drop them for the fire kids devices.

11 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

1. You log into the OS in the background and then into the kids OS which runs on top of that.

2. I cant recommend them highly enough and they are worth any drawbacks they have.

3. I don’t know why you need some of those criteria you set but I personally would drop them for the fire kids devices.

1. That's the same as any good parental control app, I can do that on android just fine. Plus with google, I can set them as family devices with family link and have them all operate off schedules and rules really easily

2. Not if the drawback prevents them from using them how they intend to

3. The only criteria I had that the fire doesn't meet is android/google play store. And the reason is they already play certain games, the biggest being fancade. It's the primary thing they do on these devices and that game along with others are not available in the fire app store. 

I don't mean to diss your idea and I had previously been aware of and had a fire tablet and they're great. But without the apps that my kids are already using daily, android is a must have for this. or at least access to the play store if fire os can do that

The Fire Kids parental controls are super strong, the only disadvantage I can see is they may not be remotely changeable, I don’t have Android devices to check.

There is access to an ap store on the fire kids on the parent side which is a normal OS, you can then add those apps to the kids side very easily. Heck you can even side load apps that are not even in the store.

Needs:

2x Tablets

Android based - Runs FIRE OS, based on Android

not ridiculously expensive, maybe up to 100 each - Yep around that price

can hold and easily run 3-5 games from the play store. Nothing too fancy, just some kids games. Also will have the family link app on them - Don’t know about the family link app but has hundreds of games and hundreds of high quality TV shows like Nickelodeon and Disney stuff.

easy to find a nice kid proof case for - Comes with a great case and a stand.

durable on it's own as well - Its pretty solid outside the case

Can be any normal tablet size, doesn't need to be ipad size or anything - 7” size is smallest

• 1 month later...

I got some onn tablets from walmart. They run android, run decently fast, were really cheap, and have nice cases to go with.