XPS 13 2020 vs Razer Blade GTX ?

Hello all ! I'm considering my options for a lightweight work laptop. I often do photo editing, regularly edit video, need a color accurate display. My desktop is functional, I've got a 2700k and a 1060 in it that I'm not planning on upgrading until next year or so. I am planning on using it for gaming on the side. I've had a few tech support nightmare issues with ram failing on me several times, out of warranty replacements and suchlike. My question is, what is your experience with razer tech support / durability out of warranty? How is the actual battery life for the Blade GTX ? Any other SFF laptops that would fit my needs ? Honestly I don't need it to be too small and light, a 14 inch would do as well

2 hours ago, I_made_a_terrible_mistake said:

Hello all ! I'm considering my options for a lightweight work laptop. I often do photo editing, regularly edit video, need a color accurate display. My desktop is functional, I've got a 2700k and a 1060 in it that I'm not planning on upgrading until next year or so. I am planning on using it for gaming on the side. I've had a few tech support nightmare issues with ram failing on me several times, out of warranty replacements and suchlike. My question is, what is your experience with razer tech support / durability out of warranty? How is the actual battery life for the Blade GTX ? Any other SFF laptops that would fit my needs ? Honestly I don't need it to be too small and light, a 14 inch would do as well

I personally haven’t bought any Razer stuff due to concerns over QC and the support. Would have though for that work a colour accurate display would be paramount tbh

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

18 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

I personally haven’t bought any Razer stuff due to concerns over QC and the support. Would have though for that work a colour accurate display would be paramount tbh

Yep that’s mostly why my research has whittled down to those two, good displays, but that qc scares me for the razer. For the same price I can get a 1650 though...

8 hours ago, I_made_a_terrible_mistake said:

Yep that’s mostly why my research has whittled down to those two, good displays, but that qc scares me for the razer. For the same price I can get a 1650 though...

Honestly for photo and video work I’d normally say MacBook. But guessing that’s out of your price range plus you’d have to move over to final cut to get the most performance out of it, though Apple are pretty good with formats so I wouldn’t think it’d be too difficult to transfer files across from Mac to PC, not sure about the other way around. Look at the LG gram (I know it hasn’t been updated in a while) and surface laptops? Also for colour work I’d stay away from OLED and look for high resolution (another reason why I’d look at the MBP with its 3K display and great accurate IPS panel)

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

• 3 weeks later...

Before buying a laptop, you need to decide what you want and expect from your machine.

You said photo and video editing. How often? How heavy are the color grading, effects, and etc.? How long are the videos?

Every laptop CAN edit photos and videos but at different speeds with different efficiency.

My point is: which one are you willing to sacrifice? portability or performance?

If portability, I recommend surface laptop 3, dell xps 13 9300 (2020 model), LG Gram 13 and lenovo x1 carbon.

They are relatively powerful machine with either decent iGPU or hexa core cpu.

Really good screens, some with taller aspect ratio like in surface laptop 3 and dell xps 13.

If performance, you have to go 15 inch with higher core cpu and discrete gpu like macbook pro 15 if you are ok with Final Cut Pro.

If windows, xps 15, hp spectre 15, and maybe surface book 15.

OR if you don't do much of your work on the go, buy 13 inch ultrabook with external GPU enclosure and relatively powerful GPU like 1660 Ti.

That will run you about $1200 for laptop, $300-400 for eGPU box, and ~$300 for 1660 Ti. So total of $1800~1900 USD.

That is what I'm doing. I got XPS 13, Mantiz eGPU box, and RTX 2080. 

Lastly, I do not recommend Razer for solely notorious QC and warranty service in US.

And if you live somewhere else, I would expect it to be worse.

If you'd like, I can explain in more details for each laptop as well.

CPU i7-6800K @ 4.4 GHz MOBO ASROCK X99E-ITX/AC GPU GTX 1080 FE RAM Corsair 32GB LPX Cooler Noctua NH-U9DXi4 Storage Samsung 512GB 950 Pro + 1.5TB HDD PSU Corsair CX650M Display Acer X34 Peripherals K70 LUX RGB MX RED, G502 Spectrum, Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear, & Razer Seiren Microphone

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2020 at 5:09 AM, andy0842 said:

Before buying a laptop, you need to decide what you want and expect from your machine.

You said photo and video editing. How often? How heavy are the color grading, effects, and etc.? How long are the videos?

Every laptop CAN edit photos and videos but at different speeds with different efficiency.

My point is: which one are you willing to sacrifice? portability or performance?

If portability, I recommend surface laptop 3, dell xps 13 9300 (2020 model), LG Gram 13 and lenovo x1 carbon.

They are relatively powerful machine with either decent iGPU or hexa core cpu.

Really good screens, some with taller aspect ratio like in surface laptop 3 and dell xps 13.

If performance, you have to go 15 inch with higher core cpu and discrete gpu like macbook pro 15 if you are ok with Final Cut Pro.

If windows, xps 15, hp spectre 15, and maybe surface book 15.

OR if you don't do much of your work on the go, buy 13 inch ultrabook with external GPU enclosure and relatively powerful GPU like 1660 Ti.

That will run you about $1200 for laptop, $300-400 for eGPU box, and ~$300 for 1660 Ti. So total of $1800~1900 USD.

That is what I'm doing. I got XPS 13, Mantiz eGPU box, and RTX 2080. 

Lastly, I do not recommend Razer for solely notorious QC and warranty service in US.

And if you live somewhere else, I would expect it to be worse.

If you'd like, I can explain in more details for each laptop as well.

What are your thoughts on the new xps 13 2 in 1 compared to the regular xps?