BSOD - PFN List Corrupt

System Spec:

R5 3600X

Asus 5700XT ROG Strix

Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200mhz

Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570

RM750X Corsair PSU

Amongst the plethora of games crashing due to graphics drivers (5700XT, so no suprise there)... My friend's PC that we built not too long ago crashed during a game of TC: Division 2 with a BSOD error PFN LIST CORRUPT. Doing some googling we couldnt find a solid answer other than doing diskchk or memchk tests on the computer. Both tests were done, cannot confirm if issue is resolved as it has yet to happen again. 

I dont suppose I am looking for step by step advice on fixing the issue, But I am curious if anyone here has had this issue previously, and what was done to correct the error?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

PFN is generally a drive fault.

If OC'ed, clear cmos. Start testing drives.

*UPDATE*

A new crash occured yesterday:

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (stornvme)

I initially thought it could be a memory problem before this specific crash, as I read that PFN List Corrupt error codes can sometimes be a memory issue. On top of that, the BIOS was changed to version F11 and with his XMP profile, his memory was running 3209mhz at 1.2v. My understanding is it should be 1.35v.

So after doing some more research online, I found a thread with others experiencing issues with this BSOD, and funnily enough, they have the same M.2 Kingston A2000 240GB nvme drive. Some have suggested sending the drive in for an RMA, others have suggested checking firmware for updates with SSD Manager.

I have instructed he try the SSD Manager first, as worst case scenario we put windows on his 1TB SSD while his drive goes in for repair or replacement.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

1 hour ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

*UPDATE*

A new crash occured yesterday:

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (stornvme)

I initially thought it could be a memory problem before this specific crash, as I read that PFN List Corrupt error codes can sometimes be a memory issue. On top of that, the BIOS was changed to version F11 and with his XMP profile, his memory was running 3209mhz at 1.2v. My understanding is it should be 1.35v.

So after doing some more research online, I found a thread with others experiencing issues with this BSOD, and funnily enough, they have the same M.2 Kingston A2000 240GB nvme drive. Some have suggested sending the drive in for an RMA, others have suggested checking firmware for updates with SSD Manager.

I have instructed he try the SSD Manager first, as worst case scenario we put windows on his 1TB SSD while his drive goes in for repair or replacement.

sounds like an NVME SSD is having issues, if any are installed in the system. check the number on the NVME SSD in question and see if it's on hte mobo's Storage QVL.

On 2/21/2020 at 2:43 PM, jeffjr said:

sounds like an NVME SSD is having issues, if any are installed in the system. check the number on the NVME SSD in question and see if it's on hte mobo's Storage QVL.

We found the firmware updater on Kingston's website, and after the update we have not had any BSODs, and this is through a weekend of approximately 10 hours of gaming and testing.

We did however experience game crashes with XMP profile running on the RAM. With the automatic XMP it seems to run the ram at 3207mhz at 1.2 volts, so we are going to try using ryzen ram calculator to run a safe manual overclock on the system and go from there. with the RAM at base 2133, there are no crashes.

1 minute ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

We found the firmware updater on Kingston's website, and after the update we have not had any BSODs, and this is through a weekend of approximately 10 hours of gaming and testing.

We did however experience game crashes with XMP profile running on the RAM. With the automatic XMP it seems to run the ram at 3207mhz at 1.2 volts, so we are going to try using ryzen ram calculator to run a safe manual overclock on the system and go from there.

enable xmp and manually set dram voltage to 1.35

2 hours ago, boggy77 said:

enable xmp and manually set dram voltage to 1.35

I will have to look into this, I was not aware that you could manually adjust voltage on an automatic XMP setting.