Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

Grog

I'm looking to build a new school/intro to gaming rig. Games like Red Dead Redemtion, Watchdogs:Legion, Just cause and Battlefield. I haven't done a build in a while, I know little about video cards and motherboards. I'm open to any modifications for better parts that save money or gain significant real world improvements. I'm thinking about transferring my 3TB 7200rpm HDD at first, adding a SSD as well preferably 1-2TB probably before I even start the build. I already have 2 1080p HD monitors and would like to upgrade them to 4K in the near future. Thanks guys!

Pasted Graphic.png

IF gaming is your aim...I'd lean toward the 3600.  Rest looks great, but the power supply is a bit largish.  No mention of a GPU.

Downgrade the x570 to a B450, it's enough.

3600 might be better than 2700 in games.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

IF gaming is your aim...I'd lean toward the 3600.  Rest looks great, but the power supply is a bit largish.  No mention of a GPU.

I don't know what GPU would be the "best bang for your buck". $200-$300ish if possible. 

8 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Downgrade the x570 to a B450, it's enough.

3600 might be better than 2700 in games.

Any recommendations for a B450? I have a B450 mortar ti on it's way. Is there something that would give me more ports or just be a better board all around? I don't care about it being white and, for the $155 I paid, I thought I'd be better moving to a 570. 

Edited by Grog
Additional details

Depends on the feature you like.

MSI tomahawk or Asus Tuf is a reasonable choice.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

If you want to play games in 4K later on you need a serious GPU, the cheapest option would be amds 5700xt, which I would shy away from currently because a bunch of people report issues with it. Nvidia has the expensive 2080 super, the somewhat cheaper 2070 super and everything below that is generally said to not be great for 4K. Honestly I would go for 1440p instead. 4K to me seems like an unnecessary money sink. Unless money isn't an issue for you, then the 2080 TI is your only choice. 

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Depends on the feature you like.

MSI tomahawk or Asus Tuf is a reasonable choice.

I also won't have an additional CPU for updating the bios if that changes things.

7 minutes ago, Grog said:

I don't know what GPU would be the "best bang for your buck". $200-$300ish if possible. 

5600XT.

Just now, Grog said:

I also won't have an additional CPU for updating the bios if that changes things.

If you're going for MSI b450 boards, get the ones with "MAX" on them (i.e. Tomahawk Max, Mortar Max, etc). They'll work with Ryzen 3rd gen out of the box.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

3 minutes ago, merco said:

If you want to play games in 4K later on you need a serious GPU the cheapest option would be amds 5700xt, which I would shy away from currently because a bunch of people report issues with it. Nvidia has the expensive 2080 super, the somewhat cheaper 2070 super and everything below that is generally said to not be great for 4K. Honestly I would go for 1440p instead. 4K to me seems like an unnecessary money sink. Unless money isn't an issue for you, then the 2080 TI is your only choice. 

I was looking for something in the 2-300 dollar range but I can go 50 to 100 or so more if I need to.

Edited by Grog
spelling

I was also considering the secondary market for the GPU, or would that not be recommended?

1 minute ago, Grog said:

I was looking for something in the 2-300 dollar range but I can go 50 to 100 or so more if I need to.

In that category you can chose from amds 5600xt and nvidias 2060 which both sell at around 300$, both excellent 1080p cards, but again I wouldn't count on great framerates in 4K. if you pay a little more (350-400$) you will get the 5700 vs 2060 super, which would be nice for 1440p but still don't quite cut it at 4K, unless you lower your graphic details. I think 4K gaming is a bit silly except if money is literally no issue for you.

Generally speaking amds cards atm pack a little more punch for their price, while nvidia cards are regarded as the more stable option, your mileage may vary though. You might buy amd and be perfectly fine, you might buy nvidia and have problems. So that is something you have to decide, personally I would go with nvidia.

Then again, the 5700xt for 400$ of course is a much better value than the 400$ 2060 super, if you're going the expensive route.

What you also might wanna consider is that the 2060 super will draw more power than the 2060 for example (more expensive in the long run).

Not sure if this helped you since I've been looking at GPUs as well and can't quite decide yet either :D

I will probably wait for the RTX 3000 series release later this year and see if the prices of the other cards go down, maybe even buy a used card.

7 minutes ago, Grog said:

I was also considering the secondary market for the GPU, or would that not be recommended?

Definitely an option to look at, it really depends on where you live though. Here in germany I can't ever find a good price, usually I can get a more efficient new card for the same price that people are asking for their old hardware, which is a bit disappointing. And every once in a while there is a reasonable price which ofc is gone when you call.

16 hours ago, Grog said:

I'd search the fleabay for a used gtx 1080...

Alright, I have tweaked the build with the help of your recommendation and Info. I haven't decided on a gpu yet I'm going to spend a few hundred more so I'll have that, hopefully, figured out before I start. But I was able to find a local shop that would update the bios on the ASUS tuf. Thanks again and I'm still open for suggestions or other options. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 10.54.32 PM.png

5 hours ago, Grog said:

Alright, I have tweaked the build with the help of your recommendation and Info. I haven't decided on a gpu yet I'm going to spend a few hundred more so I'll have that, hopefully, figured out before I start. But I was able to find a local shop that would update the bios on the ASUS tuf. Thanks again and I'm still open for suggestions or other options. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 10.54.32 PM.png

That board is awful. The only Asus B450 board that is good is the B450-E but it usually costs quite a bit.

I would suggest one of the MSI boards as already mentioned. So on the ATX format you have the B450-A PRO MAX, Tomahawk MAX, B450 Gaming Plus MAX.

If you want mATX then I would go with the MSI B450M Gaming Plus. The board might come with an up to date bios by now, but you have a bios flashback button anyway, so you can update without a cpu.  

MSI board:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7WQDZJ?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Cheaper psu:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFLBN3K?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

it looks like the connections are for addressable rgb.
Ok, I’ve gotten everything together, I went with a MSI tomahawk max mobo, and switched to a Phanteks Eclipse P350X case. I have everything connected and set up in the case. The case fans have rgb apparently, but the connector is different. It’s a four pin connector but the 3rd pin is missing. I just have male 4 pin rgb headers. What is this weird pin called? I’ve googled it and found it described, but never a name. Pic of my cables included. Thanks!

image.jpg

Edited by Grog
I figured it out

Final build Parts list. I just deleted the pics of the build itself (by accident),so those will be coming. I also used a 1TB WD that I had in my previous computer. Thanks guys!

Final Build.png

Looks nice, personally I decided to stick with my gtx 970 for a while longer and see what the new nvidia 30 series will bring (hopefully some decent price cuts for older or used cards). Hope you enjoy your new rig!

Thanks, I went with the GTX 1660S that I got for pretty cheap second hand. It was $100 US and I can upgrade when the price drops too. So far so good! Thanks for your help.