Logitech C920 Issues (Random Disconnects)

CPT_BEEMO

Hey yall!

Okay so I have done a lot of googling, and it appears that there are quite a few owners of this webcam that have this issue:

So I usually run a stream once a week, and I use Streamlabs OBS for broadcasting.

I continuously experience an issue where the webcam will just randomly disconnect. I dont hear the USB disconnected noise when it happens, but if it happens mid game, I will hear the audio in my headset cut out for a split second when it happens. Sometimes I can go into the properties of the capture device in the OBS, deactivate and reactivate, or just reselect the camera from the dropdown menu and it will turn back on. Other times it just completely disappears and I have to unplug it and plug it back in. Usually happens 4 to 5 times during my stream, and sometimes its good for an hour, other times it works for a couple minutes before cutting out again. I can verify that it occurs on my rig, as well as my girlfriends rig (Similar specs as far as CPU and chipset) and also a good friend of mine's PC (Running a 3rd gen Intel). I have set all USB ports to not turn off to save power. I have heard everything from changing source resolution to adjusting bitrates, and I cant seem to fix the issue. The only thing I have yet to try is a different OBS. 

Curious to see if anyone else has had the issue, and if they were able to resolve it.

If it helps, system specs are below:

Ryzen 5 2600X

Asus Reference 5700XT

850W Corsair PSU (RM850X)

16GB Trident Z RGB C16 3200mhz

Asus ROG Strix X470-F

500GB M.2

500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD

1TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

Have you checked if you have any FW updates available for that camera?

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

13 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Have you checked if you have any FW updates available for that camera?

Yes, I apologize I should have noted that. BIOS, Chipset, camera, camera software, all software and firmware is up to date.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

When a device behaves in such an illogical way, only one thing can be assumed, it is already damaged. You already tested this camera on other machines, then there we have already been able to confirm through the discarding that the problem is following the camera and thus is the camera causing problems, not other things. if you want you can open it and give it a cleaning of some dust particles that it could have inside, but also if this camera has been exposed to heat either by the sun, or because perhaps it was in the car while the sun is high and strong, it could also be that the internal components are "toasted", causing such peculiar problems.

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

14 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

When a device behaves in such an illogical way, only one thing can be assumed, it is already damaged. You already tested this camera on other machines, then there we have already been able to confirm through the discarding that the problem is following the camera and thus is the camera causing problems, not other things. if you want you can open it and give it a cleaning of some dust particles that it could have inside, but also if this camera has been exposed to heat either by the sun, or because perhaps it was in the car while the sun is high and strong, it could also be that the internal components are "toasted", causing such peculiar problems.

Yeah while I do agree with you, I tried a couple other things yesterday.

Roommate has the same webcam, and it appears his does the same thing on his computer. Tried mine on his PC, his cam on my PC, they both do the same thing. Had my girlfriend bring over her webcam which is a Logitech C270, and again, did the same thing.

Oh no! If the problem is as described, it may be something directly related to the design. This is one of the worst things that can happen and that is why manufacturers do so much research to avoid that the design of their products results in something negative... If it was really a design problem then you will have to change your model, because that one, the "C" product line seems to come with that specific compatibility problem. In the vast majority of cases, problems of this type are solved by directly looking for a firmware update with the manufacturer, and also remember that you are all a very small group of people and very close one another, so it is likely that the settings of your machines are the same or very similar, then, activating and deactivating functions could also cause some glitches like these ones. 

It is very unlikely that two devices arrive damaged or even three, but there is a possibility anyway. However, I would do a final test outside my circle of friends, maybe in a library or something to see if a machine that has nothing to do with anyone does the same thing, this seems very tedious I know, but in the end this will tell you if you can seriously attribute it to a design problem that in turn causes compatibility problems or if there are some settings that must be adjusted for everything to run in the best way possible.

• 11 months later...

I just started having this issue and checked the camera on my laptop and it works fine there not sure what's going on with my gaming system were this isnt working now. Worked great for years. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 4:06 PM, Critter12 said:

I just started having this issue and checked the camera on my laptop and it works fine there not sure what's going on with my gaming system were this isnt working now. Worked great for years. 

I had ended up getting a different webcam and tested out a friends C920 and his works fine on every computer where mine had issues. I suspect its just an internal fault in the camera. I have a C270, works. Avermedia 1080p camera, works. I now use my Rebel T5i with a fixed lens and EOS webcam utility drivers, works fantastic.