RAM Difference

Woldraxe

Hey guys,

I'm not new to computers, but I'm curious as to how much of a difference this will make. Around Christmas I ordered a bunch of new parts to replace my aging and unstable i7 3770/GTX760/16GB DDR3 1600MHz build. I've replaced it with something that's more suitable to my requirements (mostly Virtualization) with some heavy 1080p gaming and recording/rendering. Most of the harder titles I play are CSGO (not hard to run), SCUM, Tom Clancy's The Division 2, A3 (heavily modded I might add) and the newest Call of Duty. The point of the virtualization was to be able to run a full AD environment for pentesting and sysadmin activities. (So currently, 2x 2016 servers, 4x Windows 10 Guests, 2x Windows 7 Guests, 1x KALI 2020.1. Both 2016 servers run with 2 cores each, 1 core for the 10/7 machines, and KALI is assigned 4.)

The new build is

• Ryzen 9 3900X
  • Coolermaster ML360R AIO
  • ASUS Prime X570-P
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB - F4-3200C16D-32GVK)
  • Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce 3x OC
  • 2x Intel 660p 1TB NVMe
  • 1x Kingston A400 480GB SATA III
  • 1x 2TB WD Blue 7200RPM (Re-Used)
  • 2x 320GB 2.5" Laptop Hard Drives (... don't ask)
  • NZXT 750W Semi-Modular 80+ Gold
  • Corsair Carbide 175R

The R9 3900X is a golden chip by all accounts. I've gotten 4.2GHz stable @ 1.1875V All Core. I've gotten that up to 4.4GHz stable @ 1.30V All Core. (I've been trying to hit 4.5GHz All Core, but haven't pushed voltage past 1.325V) Binning stats say that only 6% of 3900X's reach 4.2GHz @ 1.25V. The only problem I've been running into is my RAM overclock. I cannot get a RAM OC into effect, at any OC setting. The sticks default to 2133MHz, 1.2V on the board, and XMP will take it up to 3200MHz CL16 @ 1.35V. But any attempt to tighten timing or even push the speeds a notch higher and it immediately fails POST and resets BIOS to factory defaults.

I thought that was weird, so I looked into the QVL again for the part number, and it's not there. I'm guessing I clicked the wrong link during purchasing. I'm guessing that's why I've had so many issues overclocking the kit at all. I would like to get a certified 3600MHz CL16 kit so I can tighten timings, but how much of a difference will I see here? If we're talking about 1-3 FPS on average, I'll abandon the idea. If on the other hand, I'd see a 10+ FPS difference, I'll be a little bit more lenient to getting a new kit to replace my current one and selling the "old" kit to a mate or similar.

This is the kit I'm looking at replacing it with: F4-3600C16D-32GVKC which is in ASUS' QVL for the board.

Thoughts and ideas?

Cheers,
Axe

Many ram sticks have a lower default speed, you are not guaranteed any overclock,  and it runs at its rated speed so there’s not much you can do

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Being on the QVL or not doesn't really affect overclocking. Being on the QVL just means the motherboard manufacturer happened to have access to that particular set of memory, and it ran at the rated speed. They don't OC.

10 minutes ago, Woldraxe said:

The sticks default to 2133MHz, 1.2V on the board, and XMP will take it up to 3200MHz CL16 @ 1.35V. But any attempt to tighten timing or even push the speeds a notch higher and it immediately fails POST and resets BIOS to factory defaults.

Just so Im clear, your ram is fine running at 3200mhz CL16? then I would just leave it. In my opinion based on what ive seen, after about 3200mhz the returns on higher ram speeds start to diminish rapidly. the difference between 3200mhz and 3600mhz  will be unnoticeable difference in real world apps, 

nice rig though 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

8 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

Many ram sticks have a lower default speed, you are not guaranteed any overclock,  and it runs at its rated speed so there’s not much you can do

And I recognize that [OC isn't garunateed] - but I can't help but wonder if this has anything to do with compatibility. I had an easier time overclocking RAM in a 15 year old computer that was a Dell prebuilt that was using DDR2 memory

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Being on the QVL or not doesn't really affect overclocking. Being on the QVL just means the motherboard manufacturer happened to have access to that particular set of memory, and it ran at the rated speed. They don't OC.

Understood. I just find it strange that I can't do anything to it at all without it immediately failing post.

3 minutes ago, Woldraxe said:

And I recognize that [OC isn't garunateed] - but I can't help but wonder if this has anything to do with compatibility. I had an easier time overclocking RAM in a 15 year old computer that was a Dell prebuilt that was using DDR2 memory

Probably just bad luck.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

But any attempt to tighten timing or even push the speeds a notch higher and it immediately fails POST and resets BIOS to factory defaults.

Because when you overclock, or tighten timings, you need to add voltage. 

Try adding another tenth of a volt. 1.450v -

Set SOC to 1.18-1.20v 

Try again. 

Concentrate on memory, put the Cpu back to default.

IF needs to be matching half DDR frequency, 1800/1800 - Half of 3600mhz memory clocks for example.

Once you've found a good stable ram setting you enjoy, then go back and OC the CPU again. But do the OCs seperate to find stability points. 

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Set SOC to 1.18-1.20v 

Try again. 

I.F. (infinity fabric) needs to be matching half DDR frequency, 1800/1800 - Half of 3600mhz memory clocks for example.

Once you've found a good stable ram setting you enjoy, then go back and OC the CPU again. But do the OCs seperate to find stability points. 

44 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Set SOC to 1.18-1.20v 

Try again. 

IF needs to be matching half DDR frequency, 1800/1800 - Half of 3600mhz memory clocks for example.

I will give these a shot