First Gaming RIG opinions and advices please

Good morning community !

i'm currently based in Paris, France and after years of watching Linus videos on you tube i decided build my first own gaming computer.

My budget is about 2200 - 2300 euro with a 100 flex margin.

the computer is intended to do gaming at 4k resolution and some non professional video editing.

So here is the list of components i came up with . First i wan precise i totally dont care about RGB or very few, as it only buff up prices.

Processor : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X - 379 euros

Cooling : Noctua NH-U12A or Corsair hydro 110/115. from linus video seems the noctua is quieter/more efficient by 4 degrees. 100 euros.

Mobo : Aorus X570 Master , for the wifi/2.5Gb ethernet, with possibility in future to upgrade to a ryzen 9 since same socket.  - 404 euro

SSD : Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 with Heatsink ,  - 199 euro

GPU : MSI RTX 2070S Gaming X Trio   - 595 euros

PSU : Corsair HX850 80 Plus Platinum -  170 euro, shud be more than enough even if upgrade gpu/cpu in future...or shud i take 1000W ?

Ram : G.Skill Flare X Series 32 Go (4 x 8 Go) DDR4 3200 MHz CL16 . 179 euros. others cost more juut for rgb aspect..so why overpay...

Keyboard : logitech K 800. not your typical gamer keyboard, BUT : its light, wireless, very smooth typing/button smashing, low keys, good life, backlight. love it. 99 euros

Mouse : any. i never use extra buttons or anything...as long it works...10 bucks..

Screen : no idea to be honest.  got 300 bucks left around for it. will be using 1 monitor only.

Casing : lian Li  011 D at first thought, but, for me the important is have my ports and buttons on front so open to suggestions as long its not too ugly and good air flow.

hope you can advice me on my  elements choice and sugest stuff.

thank you

Looks like you did your homework. For 4k gaming this pc will do. but if you want to do some video editing i would take a color accuate display even if it is non professional. but do you plan on gaming at 60 fps or higher cause then you may need to drop some settings to medium/high.

You may not want a fancy mouse but you should avoid getting a $10 "office" mouse. Get something with a decent optical sensor and fits your hand well, it doesn't have to be expensive. ($30-40).  

Rocket Jump Ninja on youtube has a ton of detailed information if you want to learn more about a specific mouse.

hi boggy,

for the gpu u sure 2070s wont suffise? 2070s vs 2080s is a 120 euro increase for a mere 5-7% increase of performance from the various charts and videos i seen. the power gain vs price increase dont seem very reasonable. could you tell me more?

the mobo u sugested is instead cheaper and fit the job, thank you. i like the monitor too.

for the case tho the buttons are on top, which dont fit what i look for : front buttons/port.

for memory i prefer a quad kit, cus from tests and chart i seen the quad channel have a 8-12 fps better performance than a dual kit, but correct me if i,m wrong lol

@atomic human eye cant really see diffrence past 60 fps no ? games i intend play are far cry, metro exodus, cyberpunk 2077, witcher 3...the only setting i always turn to minimal or off are shadows as i dun care of them :D. your thoughts?

For 4K I totally agree with boggy and would even consider a 2080 Ti tbh. 

X570 doesn't support quad channel memory, just dual channel - that's why people will recommend 2 sticks. For some kits there are dummies available if you are concerned about the look.

60Hz and 120Hz for example make a pretty big difference - you will immediately notice that when you move the cursor on the screen, it's much, much smoother at 120Hz. People were arguing that the human eye can't process 4K image quality and look where we are now.

Personally, I'd always go for a 1440p ultrawide display if you want great image quality and immersion with single player games.

8 minutes ago, ShinRamen said:

For 4K I totally agree with boggy and would even consider a 2080 Ti tbh. 

X570 doesn't support quad channel memory, just dual channel - that's why people will recommend 2 sticks. For some kits there are dummies available if you are concerned about the look.

60Hz and 120Hz for example make a pretty big difference - you will immediately notice that when you move the cursor on the screen, it's much, much smoother at 120Hz. People were arguing that the human eye can't process 4K image quality and look where we are now.

Personally, I'd always go for a 1440p ultrawide display if you want great image quality and immersion with single player games.

oh ic then indeed 2 sticks it is.

2080 ti tho is almost 2.5 price :D  that explodes my budget, but the 2080S if rly needed i guess i cud find yh for 200 bucks more.

screen speaking indeed immersion and single player is my aim. any sugestions regarding the screen then ?

also  i dont think i actually need 32gb memory, it may sound stupid but picked 32 just for the sake of fill the 4 slots, but since dual im totally fine with 16gb i believe so it cut a bit on fees

another question tho, call me noob but will a 3600 memory be ok if on processor manufacturer page says suported memory is only up to 3200 ?

Here's something I would do with your budget. Stick with the stock cooler of the 3700X and see how that works out, you can upgrade later if you want to. The monitor is listed as gsync compatible by MSI. I'd double check with the monitor experts in this forum - maybe they have a good alternative for 1440p ultra-wide. This monitor is on sale in Germany if you look around for a bit (399€ usually) - you might find it cheaper in France too. Just went with a cheap case with front IO; feel free to change it.

thanks.

do you think a wifi motherboard is really usefull? asking since incase ethernet issue, i can simply plug my phone to the computer enable usb tethering and thats it :), while it could maybe save me up a couple bucks, whats your thoughs on this?

regarding the diffrent ram modules, xflare, aegis, corsair ltp...is there any diffrence really? except brand, all technical aspects look identical.

2 minutes ago, maclovesvernadith said:

thanks.

do you think a wifi motherboard is really usefull? asking since incase ethernet issue, i can simply plug my phone to the computer enable usb tethering and thats it :), while it could maybe save me up a couple bucks, whats your thoughs on this?

regarding the diffrent ram modules, xflare, aegis, corsair ltp...is there any diffrence really? except brand, all technical aspects look identical.

I personally don't think Wi-Fi on a motherboard should be a deciding factor. I'm always wired and so is everyone I know - I just picked it, because you mentioned it in your post.

Speed and latency are the main specs you want to look for in ram. 3200MHz with CAS 16 or 3600 with CAS 18 is the sweet spot for Ryzen 3 I'd say. There are different manufacturers of the dies (mainly SK hynix and Samsung), but unless you plan to OC the crap out of your ram for benchmarks, you will never notice a difference. 

ok so trying come up with a reasonable mix of all the advices and elements.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€332.40 @ Amazon France)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler  (€99.90 @ Amazon France)
Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€155.01 @ Amazon France)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€84.99 @ Amazon France)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€129.99 @ Amazon France)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card  (€820.00 @ Amazon France)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case  (€95.34 @ Amazon France)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€104.99 @ Amazon France)
Monitor: MSI Optix MAG341CQ 34.0" 3440x1440 100 Hz Monitor  (€495.89 @ TopAchat)
Total: €2318.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-18 14:10 CET+0100

now 2 things tho : the case, when reviewed by linus in 2011 seemt nice, but with current config will the airflow/cooling be enough? despite me adding a noctua.

the monitor despite bein 100mhz/ultrawide is 8ms, wont it be a issue ?

your thoughs on this config guys? suggestions?

ty

why not going to intel?

i9 9900k @5ghz + 2070 super/2080 + gsync = no more fps drop

6 minutes ago, m777y said:

why not going to intel?

i9 9900k @5ghz + 2070 super/2080 + gsync = no more fps drop

9900k is 200 euros more than the 3700x, for what? 5% more fps?

8 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

9900k is 200 euros more than the 3700x, for what? 5% more fps?

i mean it more worth than you pay extra 200 eu for 2080 super. maybe only 5% but hold stable fps is point plus on that.

i doubt r7 3700x can hold stable fps for rtx 2080 super.

lucky that country have 9900KF, make it cashless more.

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/product/G7KcCJ/intel-core-i9-9900kf-36-ghz-8-core-processor-bx80684i99900kf

i9 9900k/kf is best proc for gaming right now.

48 minutes ago, m777y said:

i mean it more worth than you pay extra 200 eu for 2080 super. maybe only 5% but hold stable fps is point plus on that.

i doubt r7 3700x can hold stable fps for rtx 2080 super.

not sure what you mean about holding stable fps

ok boggy indeed thx for the casing and mobo and ram,

fan speaking since they same price almost, but wont the dh 15 be more noisy compare to the other with new fan technology for make it quieter?

one main thing still bugger me a bit tho and no one really replied : the screen mater lol

wont a higher mhz screen with lowers ms, be better in terms of display even with a lower resolution, compare one to a 4k one but with 8ms?

and regarding the gpu, since 2070s vs 2080s fps increase is only 6-7% but for a huge 200 bucks more, in what the 2070s wudent be suited for 4k gaming? asking cus seen many videos using a 2070s for 4k and still keeping over 60 -80fps ?

the diffrence in price between 3700x and 3800x is only like 40 euros so its irrelevant.

then, wouldent a 3800x instead a 3700x for 40 euro more, but paired with a 2070s for a 6% less fps but 200 euros saved be better compromise?