RAM - Can i buy separate 2x8 or kit ?

MorderNo

Hello,

So i'm buying Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200Mhz CL16.

The kit (2x8) single rank on amazon is like 90-100€ 

BUT

The single rank (8Go) Is 31€

Can i just order two single 8Go instead of the kit ? Or are they sold together for a reason ??? 

Thanks for replying ! :)

What CPU and motherboard do you have? You'll definitely take a performance hit, but how much will vary.

Also, what are you doing that requires more than 16GB of RAM? Having extra unused RAM doesn't help you in any way.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Technically you could run the chance of them using different memory types, from different manufacturers. But judging as Crucial is part of Micron, who produces memory chips, I think you're pretty safe there.

You can get two single dimms of memory just fine. I would still go for a set though.. Since you know they are meant to be used together and that would be a little easier should you ever need to deal with warranty.

P.S. that is indeed pretty cheap for a single stick of memory, judging by the prices of 2x8GB:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403200,403600&Z=16384002&sort=price

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

9 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

What CPU and motherboard do you have? You'll definitely take a performance hit, but how much will vary.

Also, what are you doing that requires more than 16GB of RAM? Having extra unused RAM doesn't help you in any way.

7 minutes ago, minibois said:

Technically you could run the chance of them using different memory types, from different manufacturers. But judging as Crucial is part of Micron, who produces memory chips, I think you're pretty safe there.

You can get two single dimms of memory just fine. I would still go for a set though.. Since you know they are meant to be used together and that would be a little easier should you ever need to deal with warranty.

P.S. that is indeed pretty cheap for a single stick of memory, judging by the prices of 2x8GB:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403200,403600&Z=16384002&sort=price

I must have explained myself wrong sorry (French nativ speaker)

https://www.amazon.de/Ballistix-BLS16G4D240FSB-Speicher-PC4-19200-288-Pin/dp/B07MNJP6RW/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=RDJDFIWF7A8W&keywords=crucial%2Bballistix%2Bsport%2Blt%2B3200&qid=1581955677&sprefix=Crucial%2BBallistix%2B%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-2-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUkZMRjBMS1oxVTFHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTY4NzY2MTI4MlhZMFU3UkZPMCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTQxOTAyMTVFOVMzT05ST1dXRiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

This is 100€ (+-) for 2 sticks

BUT

https://www.amazon.de/Ballistix-BLS16G4D240FSB-Speicher-PC4-19200-288-Pin/dp/B07MNJRQB2/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=RDJDFIWF7A8W&keywords=crucial%2Bballistix%2Bsport%2Blt%2B3200&qid=1581955677&sprefix=Crucial%2BBallistix%2B%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-2-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUkZMRjBMS1oxVTFHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTY4NzY2MTI4MlhZMFU3UkZPMCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTQxOTAyMTVFOVMzT05ST1dXRiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

This is 32€ for 1 stick 

Price are outdated because no more stock bla bla but i orderer 2 of the last link

They are the SAME, just they come by 1 or by 2. So i ll have 16 at the end. 

I was just wondering if something change (Because i rather pay 65€ than 100€)

4 minutes ago, MorderNo said:

These are 32€ for 1 
Price are outdated because no more stock bla bla but i orderer 2 of the last link
They are the SAME, just they come by 1 or by 2. So i ll have 16 at the end. 
I was just wondering if something change (Because i rather pay 65€ than 100€)

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I understood you correctly, right?

> You're buying a new PC

> You're choosing RAM and want 16GB

> You can choose 2x8GB for 100 euros

> Or you can choose 1x8GB for 32 euros and just buy that twice

Since Crucial falls under Micron, the RAM will always have Micron memory. But it's entirely possible it's just a bit of a different batch, so two 1x8GB sticks might just be a bit different in specs.. But I doubt that will happen.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I understood you correctly, right?

> You're buying a new PC

> You're choosing RAM and want 16GB

> You can choose 2x8GB for 100 euros

> Or you can choose 1x8GB for 32 euros and just buy that twice

Since Crucial falls under Micron, the RAM will always have Micron memory. But it's entirely possible it's just a bit of a different batch, so two 1x8GB sticks might just be a bit different in specs.. But I doubt that will happen.

You nailed it yup. 

How will i know if they are differents ? Or how can i do to see that ?! 

Thanks for your reply anyway :) 

You'll see it on the chips, they will have different names.

Also as a business user we always buy single sticks, never had the problem with unmatchable sticks, If I'd be you I'd try it.

10 minutes ago, MorderNo said:

You nailed it yup. 

How will i know if they are differents ? Or how can i do to see that ?! 

Thanks for your reply anyway :) 

Depends on the memory vendor and I do not know for sure how to check with Crucial.

What I mean by that, is that with Corsair for example, on the back of the packaging they have a product number and a Version number. You know you got the same RAM by  that version number. But that is rather difficult to do with RAM you're buying online.

21 minutes ago, IrishJ said:

Also as a business user we always buy single sticks, never had the problem with unmatchable sticks, If I'd be you I'd try it.

It's ordered i ll see when they arrive ! 

13 minutes ago, minibois said:

Depends on the memory vendor and I do not know for sure how to check with Crucial.

What I mean by that, is that with Corsair for example, on the back of the packaging they have a product number and a Version number. You know you got the same RAM by  that version number. But that is rather difficult to do with RAM you're buying online.

I ll just see when they are comming :) And sent them back if something is not good ! 

Thanks both for you answer :) 

3 minutes ago, lafrente said:

it will be absolutely fine.

Thanks ! I'am a bit less worried now !  

Wait and see ! 

You should definitely be fine. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Hello,

I received them

Number are indeed différents... Will it be ok ?

On 2/17/2020 at 5:59 PM, TomvanWijnen said:

You should definitely be fine. :)

On 2/17/2020 at 5:50 PM, lafrente said:

it will be absolutely fine.

On 2/17/2020 at 5:34 PM, minibois said:

On 2/17/2020 at 5:26 PM, IrishJ said:

IMG_20200225_123020.jpg

IMG_20200225_123031.jpg

IMG_20200225_123036.jpg

3 minutes ago, MorderNo said:

Hello,

I received them

Same voltage, same timing, should be fine.

4 minutes ago, IrishJ said:

Same voltage, same timing, should be fine.

I'm so stressed about that... 

Yeah it's 1.35V & 1.36V but same timing

1 minute ago, MorderNo said:

they will both run at 1.36V then, but that's still fine

18 minutes ago, MorderNo said:

Hello,

I received them

8 minutes ago, MorderNo said:

Don't worry about it, it will be fine.

9 minutes ago, IrishJ said:

they will both run at 1.36V then, but that's still fine

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Don't worry about it, it will be fine.

Ok thank you guys :) 

Have a nice day 

11 hours ago, MorderNo said:

It's actually 1.35V for both if you look carefully, I believe. What is more interesting to note is that one of them is from Mexico, and another from Malaysia... which is quite a stretch apart. :D The product numbers (on the sticker on the right) are the same, the specifications are the same, and RAM isn't that picky, so you will be just fine, no need to worry. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

On 2/17/2020 at 4:58 PM, MorderNo said:

Hello,

So i'm buying Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200Mhz CL16.

The kit (2x8) single rank on amazon is like 90-100€ 

BUT

The single rank (8Go) Is 31€

Can i just order two single 8Go instead of the kit ? Or are they sold together for a reason ??? 

Thanks for replying ! :)

If you buy two of the same sticks it should be fine yes.