Recommendation for oscilloscope

WhyML

The rigols are still expensive even after this long period of tome... do you have some good place to buy it from China ?

My usage is pretty basic for a beginner: after a multimeter i would like to go with more advanced filters and IC circuits, so it's a hobby usage.

Thanks !

i would do yourself a favor and save up to get something like the silent SDS1202X-E as it represents an amazing value for a 2 channel 200mhz scope. If you really need somthing now i would go for a siglent sds1052dl. I would avoid the hantek's, owon's, and uni-t's as they really have pretty horrible front ends that make getting accurate measurements quite difficult. Saving for a bit and getting a better scope now will end up saving you money down the line.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I am planning to play with Arduino, logic IC and signal (de)modulation.

Certainly I will take the Rigol, do you have some seller that ships worlwide from China ? I didn't find it on BG.

3 hours ago, James Evens said:

@bob345 The SDS1202X-E performs quite well but at 400€ but I would go with 4 channels ds1054z instead if spending 100€ more isn't a option but anyway it is far above budget.

I have the SDS1204X-E which is at 500€ a much better deal then the 2 channel for 400€.

Also the SDS1052 is only 32k points which isn't enough while the rigol ds1052e is has orders of magnitude more sample memory.

Main reason I like to recommend the sds1202x is the 200mhz bandwidth Which is the main selling point over the 1054z to me. If you need the extra channels the 1054z is the way to go though you can run out of bandwidth pretty quickly at only 50 MHz. Really depends on the end use.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

1 hour ago, James Evens said:

@WhyML ordered it from Welectron so I can't help in this regard.

Arduino is slow. For logic IC and signal modulation is depends on what you are looking at so a basic isolated usb oscilloscope could be enough. Be warned that good software is very important for these.

100 Mhz ;) 

Beside just MHz and so on the Siglent is no doubt superior but cost more for four channels and for general purpose.  What makes the sds1104xe superior even if you just use two channels is the fact that it has two ADCs which means you get two channels with 1GSp/s while the sds1202xe has only one.

If you ask me which ones has more bugs the answer would be both. Rigol and Siglent still has to learn a lot from other manufactures on how to design the software.

Btw. the siglent and rigol is completely hacked. On the siglent you are even root allowing convince feature like NTP or FTP-server.

Deffinitly agree. The software on the scope is absolutely one of the most important things when it comes to usability. Realy one of the major reasons i picked up an r&s rtb2004 a few months back. The software is just so far ahead in terms of features than other companies at even similar price points.  

On 2/17/2020 at 1:07 PM, WhyML said:

Before you buy anything, understand that non-sinusoidal signals are composed of multiple sinusoidal signals in superposition (harmonics). Harmonics are always on multiples of the base signal frequency (fundamental). In short, you cannot accurately view a 10Mhz square wave on a 50Mhz scope, for example. So, depending on the signals you'll be working with you might need more BW then you'd naively think.

Buy a Hantek 6022BE USB scope. It's supported in sigrok Pulseview and is rather cheap. Great for signal decoding though.

Hey,

Depending on your application you should distinguish between two different bandwidths:

1) The analog bandwidth of the scope

2) The bandwidth of the ADC according to the sampling frequency

Often people forget to distinguish between them. This bandwidth tells you the highest frequency that can reach your ADC. The cool thing here is, that you then can also sample in higher Nyquist bands. Generally the Nyquist theorem tells you that the highest frequency you can sample without running into aliasing is the half of the scopes sampling frequency. So if the scopes sampling frequency is 100 MHz then you can sample signals up to 50 MHz in theory (you should never reach that point because the filters could already introduce a damping). But if the scopes analog bandwidth e.g. goes up to 300 MHz you can also sample the signal in a higher Nyquist band e.g. second or third Nyquist band. This is interesting depending on your application e.g. avoiding folding products from higher frequencies or to get rid of the trash around DC. The resolution of the ADC in bits is of special interest if you have high dynamics in your signals or if you are going to measure very weak signals. The rule of thumb here is SNR=6.02*Bits+1.76dB.  And the mentioned resolution e.g. 8 bits isnt equal to 8 bits. The effective number of bits is always lower than the one mentioned in the data sheet.

Greetz from Germany

On 2/17/2020 at 1:58 PM, James Evens said:

I have the SDS1204X-E which is at 500€

Please share where you're finding that I am very interested.

I've been eyeing the Rigol 1054z personally due to the 100mhz hack and the four channels all at $350, which is the same price as the SDS1202. Personally, my work often requires more channels than bandwidth, so the Rigol makes more sense to me. We have a Siglent 1052, which is in OP's price range, it's fine, good enough for more basic uses. OP should also consider the Rigol 1052E.

ASU