How does a trackpad die when replacing a keyboard

Bender Blues

So been repairing friends, some others for 20 years ,ever seen such a stupid scenerio.

The laptop is Lenovo Ideapad I5, all it needed was the friggin keyboard replaced. Replaced with a new, proper matched keyboard. Trackpad and mouse buttons worked fine. 

The left/right mouse button now don't work, neither does double tapping the trackpad. The pad works to move the cursor around, but no tap.

The ribbon is properly placed. Re seated the ribbon. Still not working.

Put in the old keyboard, tried the the trackpad and buttons, nodda.

Put back in the new replacement, properly seated ribbon. nodda.

WTF.

Any ideas? good grief!

spacer.png

** Here on the West Coast USA **

Try to detach and attach the trackpad from the motherboard.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Just now, johnny5c said:

I've ran into this before and in my case it was a broken trace in the ribbon cable.

But the the problem is, its a brand new, factory keyboard. The ribbon was factory.

The broken keyboard, a few letters not working the trackpad still worked, same with mouse buttons.

Thats why I put back in the old one and checked, no pad or buttons.

37 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Try to detach and attach the trackpad from the motherboard.

It is no easy feat getting to the track pad. I mean everything worked, placed aside in a quite place until the new keyboard came. Untouched. Never bumped or anything....

1 minute ago, Bender Blues said:

But the the problem is, its a brand new, factory keyboard. The ribbon was factory.

The broken keyboard, a few letters not working the trackpad still worked, same with mouse buttons.

Thats why I put back in the old one and checked, no pad or buttons.

In my situation the ribbon broke from handling it while changing the keyboard, I used a multimeter and found it happened on a fold in the cable. 

6 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

In my situation the ribbon broke from handling it while changing the keyboard, I used a multimeter and found it happened on a fold in the cable. 

Gotcha.

But before I put the keyboard in place, meaning putting it down into its 'home' I just plugged in the ribbon (no kink) and checked if the keyboard worked.

So the ribbon was still straight and new factory.

Thats why I tried again with the old keyboard, the trackpad and mouse buttons worked. Now no bueno!

2 minutes ago, Bender Blues said:

Gotcha.

But before I put the keyboard in place, meaning putting it down into its 'home' I just plugged in the ribbon (no kink) and checked if the keyboard worked.

So the ribbon was still straight and new factory.

Thats why I tried again with the old keyboard, the trackpad and mouse buttons worked.

No Trackpad tap and no buttons. arrgh! 

If it's not the cable it has to be a connector.

5 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

If it's not the cable it has to be a connector.

But the old ribbon worked fine.

The new one as well, factory new.

Are you saying, or do you think its in the actual ribbon connector on the mobo? The only thing I can think of then is a tiny blast of clean air in it. There aren't like exposed copper pins showing in that tiny thing. 

mobo connector you think ?

2 minutes ago, Bender Blues said:

But the old ribbon worked fine.

The new one ss well, factory new.

Are you saying, or do you think its in the actual ribbon connector on the mobo? The only thing I can think of then is a tiny blast of clean air in it. There aren't like exposed copper pins showing in that tiny thing. 

mobo connector you think ?

Have you tried the old cable?  I've learned in 30 years of PC repair that new doesn't always mean it works.

The problem you're have with both buttons and the double tap could be caused by one bad ground.  It could be a bad contact in the mobo connector or it just didn't seat right.

3 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

Have you tried the old cable?  I've learned in 30 years of PC repair that new doesn't always mean it works.

The problem you're have with both buttons and the double tap could be caused by one bad ground.  It could be a bad contact in the mobo connector or it just didn't seat right.

Yes!!! Like I said many times, I tried the old keyboard that wasnt working (a few keys) and the trackpad and mouse buttons were working fine.

Thats why I put it back in and tested.

And you can see in the pic, thats how it was seated each time. The same way when it was removed.

Thanks btw for your ideas Johny5