144hz monitor stuck at 120hz

GodlyPeeta

I recently bought a sceptre 144hz monitor. At the back there are 2 HDMI ports, and I plugged my HDMI cable into the one with 144hz labeled. I go into the advanced adapter settings in settings and the highest refresh rate was 120. In my nvida control panel, there was only 3D options, and no display options because it is a laptop that has both integrated and a 1050. Is there any way to get the 144hz to work?

4 minutes ago, GodlyPeeta said:

I recently bought a sceptre 144hz monitor. At the back there are 2 HDMI ports, and I plugged my HDMI cable into the one with 144hz labeled. I go into the advanced adapter settings in settings and the highest refresh rate was 120. In my nvida control panel, there was only 3D options, and no display options because it is a laptop that has both integrated and a 1050. Is there any way to get the 144hz to work?

More than likely your laptop is using an older version of HDMI which doesn't support 144hz. Also a 1050 is really meant for 1080p 60fps anyway. It really can't do much better than that.

3 minutes ago, Dimondminer11 said:

More than likely your laptop is using an older version of HDMI which doesn't support 144hz. Also a 1050 is really meant for 1080p 60fps anyway. It really can't do much better than that.

I have a friend whose laptop was older than mine and is able run a monitor at 144hz. My laptop is fairly new, bought just last year. I dont play too many intensive games, and all the games I play are able to run at 200+ fps.

Just now, GodlyPeeta said:

I have a friend whose laptop was older than mine and is able run a monitor at 144hz. My laptop is fairly new, bought just last year. I dont play too many intensive games, and all the games I play are able to run at 200+ fps.

If you want there is a setting in the Nvidia control panel which will pop up when you connect an external monitor where you can set a custom resolution and refresh rate. Those hidden settings will only pop up with an external monitor and if the HDMI port it wired to the 1050 and not the integrated graphics.

3 minutes ago, Dimondminer11 said:

If you want there is a setting in the Nvidia control panel which will pop up when you connect an external monitor where you can set a custom resolution and refresh rate. Those hidden settings will only pop up with an external monitor and if the HDMI port it wired to the 1050 and not the integrated graphics.

I think this is the problem. It is connected to the integrated UHD graphics. How do I connect it to the 1050?

29 minutes ago, GodlyPeeta said:

just coz a laptop is older or newer doesnt mean it has a higher hdmi support, a new released laptop could have hdmi 1.0 for all they care

then again maybe u just dont have a cable that has the required hdmi ver

(◑‿◐)

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

just coz a laptop is older or newer doesnt mean it has a higher hdmi support, a new released laptop could have hdmi 1.0 for all they care

then again maybe u just dont have a cable that has the required hdmi ver

image.png.0573c2749af451946e101f5cd8c1315d.pngI cant be sure that its not the cables fault since it was some random hdmi cable we had leftover from amazon, but my monitor seems to be connected to the integrated uhd graphics. I want to try connecting it to the 1050, but I cannot find how to do it. 

Just now, GodlyPeeta said:

image.png.0573c2749af451946e101f5cd8c1315d.pngI cant be sure that its not the cables fault since it was some random hdmi cable we had leftover from amazon, but my monitor seems to be connected to the integrated uhd graphics. I want to try connecting it to the 1050, but I cannot find how to do it. 

coz u cant ,  the 1050 is mostlikely just a render gpu and integrated gpu for output ( so ur limited by that on laptop )

(◑‿◐)

5 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

coz u cant ,  the 1050 is mostlikely just a render gpu and integrated gpu for output ( so ur limited by that on laptop )

image.png.27d63cdfe03aa8104877b774a1cec483.pngIn device manager, it shows both the nvidia and the uhd display adapters. Does this mean that both can be used?

4 hours ago, GodlyPeeta said:

At the back there are 2 HDMI ports, and I plugged my HDMI cable into the one with 144hz labeled. 

Have you tried the other HDMI port?

What's the model name of your laptop?

3 hours ago, GodlyPeeta said:

image.png.27d63cdfe03aa8104877b774a1cec483.pngIn device manager, it shows both the nvidia and the uhd display adapters. Does this mean that both can be used?

Yes but you can only use one at a time

2 hours ago, Syaoran said:

Have you tried the other HDMI port?

What's the model name of your laptop?

Yes but you can only use one at a time

The other HDMI is labeled 120hz, and what I meant by can both be used is can I use the 2nd adapter rather than the first one.

1 hour ago, GodlyPeeta said:

The other HDMI is labeled 120hz

It doesn't hurt to try, it probably got mislabeled during production.

1 hour ago, GodlyPeeta said:

what I meant by can both be used is can I use the 2nd adapter rather than the first one.

Adapter as in HDMI port? You can use any HDMI port, or any other video output it might have.

13 hours ago, GodlyPeeta said:

usually in laptops the only output gpu is the hd gpu  and the 1050 will be rendering the games ect

(◑‿◐)

1 hour ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

usually in laptops the only output gpu is the hd gpu  and the 1050 will be rendering the games ect

Heres a screnshot a friend gave me, also a laptop. image.png.9e3710916b7f2256365dd93c94214bdd.png

11 hours ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

In my laptop the dGPU is actually wired to the HDMI port. 

On 2/14/2020 at 4:16 PM, GodlyPeeta said:

I think this is the problem. It is connected to the integrated UHD graphics. How do I connect it to the 1050?

Unfortunately there is no way to do this. That means that you are limited to 120hz or whatever the intel graphics control panel is limiting you to. You can go and see in there if you can set a custom resolution though.