System instability

Mitico

I am really clueless and hopeless, My problems started 7 months ago, after I build new system, it started with freezes where the only way to resolve it was restarting the pc.. After that I replaced the motherboard thining it could be that, got new kit of ram (the first time I got a kit that was not on the QVL list), tested the psu with occt and its working perfectly.. But I get the same annoying problem, It freezes randomly, but mostly when the cpu gets under load/it uses a lot of ram.. I tried everything, updating the bios, checking every single option in the bios for the cpu clocks, voltages, ram speed everything but still same problems.. The temps are well below the risky levels since it is an ryzen 5 2600 with hyper 212 evo.. The full specs are: Ryzen 5 2600 stock speeds, Gigabyte B450 Aorus elite, ram corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15.. Could it be the memory controller of the cpu? since thats the only part i didn't changed yet..

When the CPU is under load there's an application loaded into RAM (like a game) so usually it's normal that both are related. 

For your freezing issues, we first need to identify if it's an hardware or software issue. Which kind of storage do you have an HDD or an SSD? And which model? 

7 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

When the CPU is under load there's an application loaded into RAM (like a game) so usually it's normal that both are related. 

For your freezing issues, we first need to identify if it's an hardware or software issue. Which kind of storage do you have an HDD or an SSD? And which model? 

An HDD, the typical western digital blue 7200rpm 1TB, and I dont think it's that, because I moved it from the old system to the new one, worked flawlessly (even checked with HDsentinel, its in perfect status).. The psu it's an Corsair Cx 600, not the greatest but tested it and its fine..  * EDIT *  couple months ago I also tired to check if it was an software problem, but it was not, used some sort of debug collector (cant remember the name, but it was fine)

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

do you have ram in slots 2 and 4? have you tried enabling xmp?

Yes, its in slot 2 and 4, for the dual channel.. Yes, I enabled it, for the 3000mhz, I even tried to set various speeds, 2933 and so on, but nothing changed

If you haven't tried already, enable xmp, set freq to 2933, disable gear down mode (in ram settings) and set dram voltage to 1.35 and soc voltage to 1.15

4 minutes ago, The_Geek said:

I think it is the MB.

If you just searched for B450 Aorus MB in this forum only, you will get 40 pages of issues with this MB

https://linustechtips.com/main/search/?q=Gigabyte B450 Aorus&quick=1

I thought the same, but I got it replaced once and the problem still there, also my friend has the same mb, same ram with the Ryzen 7 2700 and has no problems at all..

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

If you haven't tried already, enable xmp, set freq to 2933, disable gear down mode (in ram settings) and set dram voltage to 1.35 and soc voltage to 1.15

Tried to set with xmp, without at 2933 voltage, the other one no, but nothing changed, still same

8 minutes ago, Mitico said:

I thought the same, but I got it replaced once and the problem still there, also my friend has the same mb, same ram with the Ryzen 7 2700 and has no problems at all..

Tried to set with xmp, without at 2933 voltage, the other one no, but nothing changed, still same

It is a hit and miss with this B450 MB's.

Can you get a different MB.. like the X470?

1 hour ago, Mitico said:

An HDD, the typical western digital blue 7200rpm 1TB, and I dont think it's that, because I moved it from the old system to the new one, worked flawlessly (even checked with HDsentinel, its in perfect status).. The psu it's an Corsair Cx 600, not the greatest but tested it and its fine..  * EDIT *  couple months ago I also tired to check if it was an software problem, but it was not, used some sort of debug collector (cant remember the name, but it was fine)

Before changing any other parts, I would try to clean install Windows 10 1909 install all the latest drivers from the manufacturers website (don't forget AMD's chipset driver). Then if you still have freezing issues, I guess it would be either the motherboard or your CPU at this point. 

You could also try to install a linux distro like Ubuntu and check if you have the same issues.

15 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

Before changing any other parts, I would try to clean install Windows 10 1909 install all the latest drivers from the manufacturers website (don't forget AMD's chipset driver). Then if you still have freezing issues, I guess it would be either the motherboard or your CPU at this point. 

You could also try to install a linux distro like Ubuntu and check if you have the same issues.

I already did a lot of clean installs (I have this problem since august 2019, Trying and tried everything from 7 months).. As for the drivers and chipset, thats the first thing I do after it boots, I get the chipset driver directly from amd site, rest from the mb site.. I already replaced the motherboard (twice to be honest, from amazon) but nothing changed.. To be honest I really regret building this pc.. I mean, its frustrating..

1 minute ago, Mitico said:

I already did a lot of clean installs (I have this problem since august 2019, Trying and tried everything from 7 months).. As for the drivers and chipset, thats the first thing I do after it boots, I get the chipset driver directly from amd site, rest from the mb site.. I already replaced the motherboard (twice to be honest, from amazon) but nothing changed.. To be honest I really regret building this pc.. I mean, its frustrating..

I would try with a linux distro then, at this point you have nothing to lose. If you have the same issue at least you know it's not a Windows related issue. 

1 minute ago, Viper9 said:

I would try with a linux distro then, at this point you have nothing to lose. If you have the same issue at least you know it's not a Windows related issue. 

I would like to try that, but I have no clue how linux works, or its installer.. I never even used it :/

Just now, Mitico said:

I would like to try that, but I have no clue how linux works, or its installer.. I never even used it :/

Installing ubuntu is pretty straight forward it's like installing Windows. 

1. Download the Ubuntu iso from the official website (I would choose 19.10 to be sure it's compatible with Zen+): https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

2. Download Rufus to build a bootable USB drive: https://rufus.ie/

3. Change your boot order to boot on the USB (UEFI mode is supported)

1 minute ago, Viper9 said:

Installing ubuntu is pretty straight forward it's like installing Windows. 

1. Download the Ubuntu iso from the official website (I would choose 19.10 to be sure it's compatible with Zen+): https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

2. Download Rufus to build a bootable USB drive: https://rufus.ie/

3. Change your boot order to boot on the USB (UEFI mode is supported)

Looks like windows, I'll try that, thanks for the help

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found what the problem was, and I feel so dumb because I did not tried this earlier... Watching a video about overclocking I noticed same type of crash/freeze so I incrased the vCore and it works perfeclty fine now.. To be honest I thought that the motherboard would handle it by it self leaving it in "auto", even because its running at stock speed, It just needed 0.060 volt incrase and works fine..