Removable Battery? Expandable storage? 3.5mm jack? - Yes. Samsung Galaxy Xcover Pro/FieldPro

FIXXX

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_xcover_fieldpro-9937.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_xcover_pro-10001.php

It's as if these are just cookie-cutter phones. But they're not! All the hallmarks phones with a long life ahead of them!

There's barely any hype about this great step forward from Samsung.

And here I was thinking i'd have to stick with my LG V20 for years and years. Nope! Once this falls to 300-ish, id definitely grab either of these models.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

It's a really nice device and nice to see that there is a big manufacturer doing this. It's outside of what I'm willing to spend on my phone but I'm fine with cheaper alternatives that also have removeable batteries and whatnot personally.

26 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's a really nice device and nice to see that there is a big manufacturer doing this. It's outside of what I'm willing to spend on my phone but I'm fine with cheaper alternatives that also have removeable batteries and whatnot personally.

There's BLU BL70 or something like that also launched this year. Same features, less expensive. Though don't expect the same sleek-ness, I guess.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

2 hours ago, FIXXX said:

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_xcover_fieldpro-9937.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_xcover_pro-10001.php

It's as if these are just cookie-cutter phones. But they're not! All the hallmarks phones with a long life ahead of them!

There's barely any hype about this great step forward from Samsung.

And here I was thinking i'd have to stick with my LG V20 for years and years. Nope! Once this falls to 300-ish, id definitely grab either of these models.

Dunno why you'd wan one tbh, if you want a phone just to be rugged you can still buy a 3310 less to go wrong. If you get one of these for everyday life you just look like someone who's posing. Sure because you REALLY need a second battery for your daily commute to work. Oh a 3.5mm to USBC adapter is so heavy you couldn't possibly just attach it to your headphones and leave it until the end of time. Oh 128GB of storage is hardly any I want to have 20 films on my phone at the same time and spend £300 on a 1TB mSD card. If you wanted it to last you wouldn't get a Samsung anyway with their stellar support record.

If I wanted a phone to take out into the field and didn't want to risk my normal one I'd get a 3310 or an old iPhone if I needed more than just calls and texts. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

2 hours ago, FIXXX said:

There's BLU BL70 or something like that also launched this year. Same features, less expensive. Though don't expect the same sleek-ness, I guess.

I know that the phones I go for won't be the most polished devices but that's fine for me. As long as they smartphone good enough it's fine.

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Lackluster RAM and a mid range SoC that won't accept custom roms.

The best part about these rugged phones is that they are still IP68 with removable battery.

Judging from how much RAM my phone has and how much is generally left unused - 4GB ought to be enough. My usage hasn't changed much in the last 3-4 years.

17 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

You do you. But I wasn't thinking of just 3-4 years.

Would you not consider 3-4 years as a decent amount of life out a piece of electronics you carry around and use intensively for such a long time? No breaks, never left on the shelf, nearly never forgotten before going on holiday, etc.

27 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yes that is decent... for a phone that does not have a sizeable removable battery

I'm looking for this amount of life in a phone that is made with the good hardware available today.

Somehow in 2020 we dont have a new phone that can offer the same longevity as one released 9 years ago.

This is why in my mind the phone industry is just a fucking travesty right now.

Never had the time to get into tinkering with a custom ROM, though there's a Galaxy S3 lying around in a drawer. Perhaps this summer.

What's your experience with a non-custom vs custom  on the same device? Battery, camera, audio output?

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

That's the thing though, Android by itself has some customization, limited by stuff the phone provider wants, but still much better than iOS.

Haven't felt the itch to play arought with it yet, likely will only happen once I have a few days off in the future. Not any time soon though :( Would be need to experience something new on an old device.