Access Raspberry Pi with DS-Lite?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently planning on setting up Nextcloud on my Raspberry Pi 4 with two 1TB external HDDs in RAID1 (in case a drive is dying) to backup and access my files from university, on the go and at home. I'm capable of setting it up as far as I can run Nextcloud on my Pi and accessing it from my home-devices such as my desktop, notebook and smartphone over lan and wifi. And now to the point were I stuck since I don't know very much about networking:

Currently, my ISP is Unitymedia (Germany) which got recently bought by Vodafone and forced my to 'upgrade' to there new Vodafone-Station modem-router-mix. On top of this I'm stuck with a Dualstack-Lite connection instead of regular Dualstack. I'm running all my devices of a TP-Link C6 Gen2 router which is connected directly to the router/modem provided by my ISP and I can't activate bride-mode since Unitymedia isn't able to unlock this option via update to their customers (funfact: Vodafone allows bridge-mode on their Vodafon-Station router/modem). In addition to that (don't know if that matters) I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W running a Pi-Hole adblocker connected to my TP-Link router where I have set up a corresponding DNS-Server in order to get used of my Pi-Hole.

Is there any way to get access to my Pi from outside my network with my current setup without paying any extra money for other routers or portmapper etc?

Hope I haven't missed any important informations.

Thank you in advance!

22 hours ago, Jahtzey said:

Hey everyone,

I'm currently planning on setting up Nextcloud on my Raspberry Pi 4 with two 1TB external HDDs in RAID1 (in case a drive is dying) to backup and access my files from university, on the go and at home. I'm capable of setting it up as far as I can run Nextcloud on my Pi and accessing it from my home-devices such as my desktop, notebook and smartphone over lan and wifi. And now to the point were I stuck since I don't know very much about networking:

Currently, my ISP is Unitymedia (Germany) which got recently bought by Vodafone and forced my to 'upgrade' to there new Vodafone-Station modem-router-mix. On top of this I'm stuck with a Dualstack-Lite connection instead of regular Dualstack. I'm running all my devices of a TP-Link C6 Gen2 router which is connected directly to the router/modem provided by my ISP and I can't activate bride-mode since Unitymedia isn't able to unlock this option via update to their customers (funfact: Vodafone allows bridge-mode on their Vodafon-Station router/modem). In addition to that (don't know if that matters) I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W running a Pi-Hole adblocker connected to my TP-Link router where I have set up a corresponding DNS-Server in order to get used of my Pi-Hole.

Is there any way to get access to my Pi from outside my network with my current setup without paying any extra money for other routers or portmapper etc?

Thank you in advance!

You are double nated which means you have two options: either set your tp-link as an Access Point and let the ISP gateway act as the router or port forward the needed ports (DMZ could also work) on the ISP gateway for the tp-link and then port forward your rpi on the tp-link

On 2/13/2020 at 8:07 PM, mtz_federico said:

You are double nated which means you have two options: either set your tp-link as an Access Point and let the ISP gateway act as the router or port forward the needed ports (DMZ could also work) on the ISP gateway for the tp-link and then port forward your rpi on the tp-link

Thank you for your reply.

The problem is that I can configur litteraly nothing on the ISP provided router/modem-combo, including port-forwarding.

Are there any other possible solutions?

30 minutes ago, Jahtzey said:

Thank you for your reply.

The problem is that I can configur litteraly nothing on the ISP provided router/modem-combo, including port-forwarding.

Are there any other possible solutions?

You could ask your isp. You might have to get a bussiness connection

On 2/12/2020 at 9:09 PM, Jahtzey said:

Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance!

You can try ZeroTier. ZeroTier is a peer-to-peer vpn that basically adds a virtual network interface to every device that you need to interconnect. It uses "udp-hole punching" so there is no need to setup port forwards.

You just need to create a free account and install a small software on every device. Your devices will find each other through their servers. But the actual data is transmitted directly between your devices.

I havent tried Zerotier in double-NAT enviornments, but it worked very well for me in the past.

ZeroTier tutorial: