Noise from AIO water cooler

Gekido

Hi fellow tech-geeks,

For some time now I have a Cooler Master Seidon 120V AIO watercooler on a Core i5 4460 cpu. This is part of my previous gaming setups which is now used for media/htpc purposes next to our TV. Now, after giving the setup a new case I found out a certain rattling noise coming from the computer. There are two other 140mm fans for in- and outtake. Both were removed but the noise remains. The GTX750ti gpu doesn't make this sound so it seems that the cpu block of this water cooling set has a fan inside but I am not sure. Does anyone have an idea if in this case there is a built-in fan in the block? It would make sense as it has two fan connectors, one for the radiator and one for the block...

download.jpg

What you are hearing is the pump, Hopefully it is not a sign of degradation and failure of the component.

Your fan settings might have gotten reset. Make sure your AIO fan header is set to DC and try lowering the voltage on it a bit. 

Inside should be a pump fan that circulates the water through the system. If that block got noisy the pump is gone. How old is the system?

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

Your fan settings might have gotten reset. Make sure your AIO fan header is set to DC and try lowering the voltage on it a bit. 

Gonna check that out, to be continued.... Thank you!

1 minute ago, Techea said:

Inside should be a pump fan that circulates the water through the system. If that block got noisy the pump is gone. How old is the system?

The system is about 5 years old give or take. Never overclocked the cpu by the way.

2 minutes ago, Gekido said:

The system is about 5 years old give or take. Never overclocked the cpu by the way.

No water cooling system goes that long. The solution is to replace it. 

10 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

I have checked the settings and the AIO fan header was on turbo mode lol. Put in on DC mode and restarted the system. The rattling sound is gone, speedfan says 27 degrees idle and when I ran 3d Mark via Steam the load cpu temp is 43 degrees. So far so good, I guess this topic can close :)

Thanks for all the tips and advice, special thanks to Sorenson for provide this solution. 

1 minute ago, Gekido said:

I have checked the settings and the AIO fan header was on turbo mode lol. Put in on DC mode and restarted the system. The rattling sound is gone, speedfan says 27 degrees idle and when I ran 3d Mark via Steam the load cpu temp is 43 degrees. So far so good, I guess this topic can close :)

Thanks for all the tips and advice, special thanks to Sorenson for provide this solution. 

I’m glad I could help! I hope you enjoy your silent htpc.

All that being said, 5 years is a really impressive run for the average AIO assuming no coolant changes, right?

Indeed, never changed the coolant as I kinda assumed with an AIO you can't do this.... Could be wrong though :)