Ram configuration troubleshooting

Hi, i recently bought some older 4gb ddr3 hyper x memory for an old workstation that i own and i realised something was going on. I have 4gb of patriot ddr3 as well as 2x2gb hp oem memory. When i installed the 4gb hyper x stick it comes up in windows as 10 gb rather than 12. I know its advised to not mix and match memory especially when its 3 different brands but is there a solution. My pc is the hpz210sff with a 2nd gen core i7 2600. Thanks

“Realized something was going on”. 

two brands and 3 sticks of memory are mentioned 1x4gb ddr3 and 2x2gb “hp OEM” for a total of 8gb.

what is the “third” bit?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Sorry there was 1x4gb patriot stick and the 2 aforementioned 2gb sticks from hp and then i bought a 4gb hyper x stick

So 2 4gb sticks which are different and bought at different times, 2x2gb OEM memory.  

I take it at one point you had the 2x2gb OEM, and 1 4gb stick in the machine, and it worked and registered 8gb.  Then just recently you bought a second 4gb stick, inserted it, and expected it to register as 12gb of memory but instead you are getting 10 correct?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Btw the reason realised is spelt realised is cos im an aussie lmao