My Laptop GPU/CPU is thermal throttling. Why is that?

Hey!

Recently I got a problem with my laptop. I have a RedmiBook 14 that I bought when I was in China, around 6 months ago. It has an i7-8565U CPU and a GeForce MX250. It was working perfectly fine before, but now suddenly it termal throttles when I'm gaming on it. Basically whenever I'm playing games, the computer thermal throttles, and I have no idea why. I've downloaded GPU-Z to monitor the temperatures and it shows that, when I'm gaming, the GPU temperature doesn't get higher than 64°C, but the clock speeds get significantly lower when it hits and stays at this temperature for some time (it goes from 1500 MHz to about 140 MHz).

That doesn't make sense to me, I thought 64°C was a good temperature for a laptop GPU. But I have also noticed that when the GPU starts lowering the clock speed is the time when the CPU temperatures start to get very high (from 80°C up to 97°C).

So what possibly can be the problem? I already restored Windows (it deletes all the programs installed but keeps all the personal files), so it shouldn't be drivers issues I guess.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

Checked the cooler has no dust? Maybe the cooler is shit...

Yeah, I opened the laptop and it looks fine (I mean, except that the cooler may be shit). Maybe trying to reapply the thermal paste? But I don't know if it will change a lot...

Are the Vents clear and the fan spinning - check your fan curve (the thing that regulates how hard it spins/blows at a given temp) or clean it out if not.

Do you set it onto a a Hard surface (like a desk) when gaming - say a blanket or cushion could trap the heat.

Possible Short Term fixes in any case:

Undervolting the GPU (less heat, same performance if done in moderation / correctly)

Getting one of those Cooling Pads

Edit: saw your reply to NZGamer - If all else fails try to reach out for repairs it should still be under warranty

9 minutes ago, VK707 said:

Are the Vents clear and the fan spinning - check your fan curve (the thing that regulates how hard it spins/blows at a given temp) or clean it out if not.

Do you set it onto a a Hard surface (like a desk) when gaming - say a blanket or cushion could trap the heat.

Possible Short Term fixes in any case:

Undervolting the GPU (less heat, same performance if done in moderation / correctly)

Getting one of those Cooling Pads

Edit: saw your reply to NZGamer - If all else fails try to reach out for repairs it should still be under warranty

How do I check the fan curve? It depends on the motherboard?

I use it on a hard desk, but I don't have a cooling pad.

I'll try undervolting the GPU and see if anything changes.

Also, why does the GPU clock speeds get lower if it's the CPU that is getting too hot? Does that make sense?