Soundcard recommendation?

Hello, I am new to the linus tech tips forums

I need a better soundcard, and/or software recommendation. using Realtek HD Audio Manager and having it set to Dolby Digital Live with the 5.1 surround going through my optical cable, it sounds amazing, compared to having it off. problem is if I set my headphones above about 50% it starts to get all choppy, and/or fizzy. but if I turn it down from 100% and bring my amp up to the same level, it doesn't, so I know it's my onboard sound, I think. also if I am playing a game like BF4 with the Realtek digital 5.1 thing on I get about 1/8 delay on all the sounds, so if someone could tell me if it's software or hardware that would also be awesome!

I'm very ignorant when It comes to soundcards, and considering I have two graphics cards, there is not really a place to put if without having to worry about heat. I have above my primary GPU (70-75C) in-between them, which I don't see a good idea in any way because It will be starving my primary gpu, and pickup up heat from the secondary one. and I have below my second gpu (59-63C)

I already have Astro A40s w/ the mixamp. that said, I have it receiving audio from my pc from the on-board optical cable, so if I am getting a soundcard, it needs to have optical. that amp also works as my pass-through for my Xbox 360 (yuck!) so that when I have one of my friends over I can actually play split screen games, and then it has the front amplified port for my Astros, and the pass-through un-amplified port for my speakers.

I'm only 16 and get about $100 every two weeks over the school year, that's about 1/4 I get over the summer, normally I would buy 5 different cards, determine which I like, and send back the ones I don't, but I don't have the budget for that, so I'm going to need some help with this. I have an idea what I want: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx soundcard (if I knew how to link I would)

it seems like a good solution for what I'm going for, I just need advice on where to put it, I have some pictures of my current situation of where I can possibly put it, but have no idea how to add them.

if anyone has a better idea for a soundcard, please tell me! I don't mind spending a lot for something good, just as long as its good! something audiophile approved please! I care more for a good music and quality experience, I want to have my games sound beautiful, I don't really care for the "gaming headset that helps you hear footsteps" cards, just something that will make it as immersive as possible!

system specs:

GIGABYTE GA-990 FXA UD3

AMD FX 8350 @ 4.5 GHz

Duel Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GBs

8GB DDR3 1866 RAM

256BG SSD boot drive 500GB HDD

850w PSU

Rosewill R5 case

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Trust me MayFlower answered this earlier today and they said the guy didn't need it. I'd say you almost have the same set up.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

Almost everyone here will tell you the same thing. Soundcards primarily just amplify audio, rather than making it better.

Audiophile approved would be an external DAC setup

Just a question, why does it say your 23 in your profile, but here your 16? Nice try, bud <3. But yes, I do agree with @ on his Ideas. 

Diamond 5 in League :)

wait have u tried your onboard sound to do what u want?

this sounds so funny

Ohwow.jpg

but seriously @The_Evenger it's pretty hard to make a complete comparison personally I don't have the means to test it let alone yet not owning a desktop pc myself but are you listening using headphones or a headset? Also there is a lot of hype with how sound is and should be heard whether you're using onboard or a dedicated sound card

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Xonar STX, this soundcard has dolby headphone which is good for games, has optical, a good dac and nice amp for your headphones.

No

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Xonar STX, this soundcard has dolby headphone which is good for games, has optical, a good dac and nice amp for your headphones.

Nope. Soundcards just pass the audio signal through a different output than onboard. No enhancements are made

OP - The 990FXA-UD3 has an excellent onboard solution. I would actually just recommend a different pair of headphones for your PC, and then leave the A40's to your console, as they are horse shit for music and videos. Look into the Sennheiser HD449's and then get a Zalaman Clip-On Microphone and use both of those for your PC. 

I have the asus xonar essence stx (or was it the st. I got the short pci one). it sounds better on my audiotech cans compared to using my onboard sound xD (I love music ^_^). on my gaming rig I only use a on board sound and it's pretty nice.

Live your life like a dream.

this sounds so funny

Ohwow.jpg

but seriously @The_Evenger it's pretty hard to make a complete comparison personally I don't have the means to test it let alone yet not owning a desktop pc myself but are you listening using headphones or a headset? Also there is a lot of hype with how sound is and should be heard whether you're using onboard or a dedicated sound card

????

hes having driver issues and software problems

why is this funny?

This hasn't been all that useful, my problem remains that I have to significantly reduce my windows volume to stop the popping, I know it's not my headset, and reducing the volume to a level where that doesn't happen and turning up the amp to make it just as loud isn't that good of a solution for there isn't much more to go before I'm maxed, and If I have to use my speakers, its very quiet, so either way, I could use something.

If it is my software making the dissertations and 1/8 second delay, I need to find something that can run that 5.1 surround better.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Nope. Soundcards just pass the audio signal through a different output than onboard. No enhancements are made

OP - The 990FXA-UD3 has an excellent onboard solution. I would actually just recommend a different pair of headphones for your PC, and then leave the A40's to your console, as they are horse shit for music and videos. Look into the Sennheiser HD449's and then get a Zalaman Clip-On Microphone and use both of those for your PC. 

This post is so full of ignorance, it defies description...

http://www.stereophile.com/computeraudio/asus_xonar_essence_ststx_soundcards/index.html

I have a Sound Blaster ZxR that I'm happy with.  But i'd look into getting a better headset, astros are alright for console, but there are far better options for PC.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

This hasn't been all that useful, my problem remains that I have to significantly reduce my windows volume to stop the popping, I know it's not my headset, and reducing the volume to a level where that doesn't happen and turning up the amp to make it just as loud isn't that good of a solution for there isn't much more to go before I'm maxed, and If I have to use my speakers, its very quiet, so either way, I could use something.

If it is my software making the dissertations and 1/8 second delay, I need to find something that can run that 5.1 surround better.

I don't say this often, but get a soundcard. The cheapest one with the features you need. A Xonar DX would probably do.

All these guys saying to not get a soundcard are just parroting the typical rhetoric without even recognizing that this is one of those situations where you need one (shoddy/broken onboard, surround sound speakers, etc).

Creative sound blaster titanium is pretty solid have not had any hick ups & does every thing i need it to ...

Even Record What You Hear a_creative_labs_fatality_sound_card.jpg

Tho onboard will be best suited unless you have a specific need ...

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

I don't say this often, but get a soundcard. The cheapest one with the features you need. A Xonar DX would probably do.

All these guys saying to not get a soundcard are just parroting the typical rhetoric without even recognizing that this is one of those situations where you need one (shoddy/broken onboard, surround sound speakers, etc).

I was reading through the thread, and realized how many people didn't even read the OP properly. and yes, a DX card should suffice, but be aware, I had issues with the one I had, the mic part of it would pick up interference from the graphics card, giving people on skype a buzzing sound that went up and down in pitch as my FPS in games went up and down. I then "upgraded" to a D2X and all my problems disappeared.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

To be honest I am having trouble working out exactly what the problem is,  you are using optical out to the astro amp and when you turn the windows volume up it crackles and pops but if you turn the astro volume up instead it doesn't?

If this is true, have you tried the optical in on the astro on another device like a dvd player or another pc to rule out an issue with it?  IF it is a windows thing then you might still get the same issue if you use any other device with an optical out.

EDIT: also sounds silly but have you tried a different optical cable?

This post is so full of ignorance, it defies description...

http://www.stereophile.com/computeraudio/asus_xonar_essence_ststx_soundcards/index.html

The op is talking about optical out, and in that scenario there is no difference between a sound card or onboard. A Digital signal is A digital signal. so his post is not ignorant just not well worded.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.