Basic neccesaity for Ubuntu 18.04?

I'm just asking what i'll need when changing my os to ubuntu ? don't want to miss anything out

16 minutes ago, JustThomasWith4845 said:

I'm just asking what i'll need when changing my os to ubuntu ? don't want to miss anything out

1. instead of trying with apt all the time, learn how to use snapd to install stuff.

if you have standard ubuntu:

You should install the gnome-desktop tweaker, provides new awesome features for desktop costumization.

apt-get install gnome-tweaker

run windows apps on Ubuntu with Wine

How to install

4.  Update the apt cache.

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Well... what do you use your computer for? Browsing the internet? Working with office software?

yes to these 2 and 

3 minutes ago, WillLTT said:

1. instead of trying with apt all the time, learn how to use snapd to install stuff.

thanks i'll try it out but i haven't actually installed or changed to ubuntu rn, i wanna put it on a new laptop 

7 minutes ago, WillLTT said:

If you can install something with apt you probably should

9 minutes ago, WillLTT said:

Wine does not run Windows - it runs some Windows programs

13 minutes ago, JustThomasWith4845 said:

On Ubuntu there's an "app store" that you can use to browse available software by category. I prefer installing packages through the command line but the store is useful to discover new things.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If you can install something with apt you probably should

I prefer snapd.

There are many apps from snapd, Example: Intelj, that can be so much more easily installed with SNAPd, than Aptitude.

Wine does not run Windows - it runs some Windows programs

that was a typo thanks for pointing that out ?

On Ubuntu there's an "app store" that you can use to browse available software by category. I prefer installing packages through the command line but the store is useful to discover new things.

Yeah, but you should learn to use the command line eitherway.

51 minutes ago, JustThomasWith4845 said:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/

1 hour ago, WillLTT said:

I prefer snapd.

There are many apps from snapd, Example: Intelj, that can be so much more easily installed with SNAPd, than Aptitude.

Snaps are less efficient, therefore unless you can't get something to work without them I'd use apt.

1 hour ago, AlexOak said:

Isn't that yet another chromium reskin?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

While I agree that snapd will have to be installed I think @JustThomasWith4845 would like to have ideas about what programs and so on he should install first. And I agree that the Ubuntu- or Mint-packages should be used first.

Firefox (Waterfox, Pale Moon) vs Chrome(Chromium, Brave...) ... I don't think it's time to put something else than Firefox and Chromium on the system yet. Firefox is great and astonishingly quick for graphics cards that also support Vulkan while Chrome(ium) is better with hardware-acceleration on older OpenGL/GLES gpus. Both may need a few tweaks to give you maximum performance. Independent from the browser and environment the first thing to install is an adblocker from the respective appstore (Nano for me atm).

Steam should also be installed. It may have some missing x86-32 libraries, so I hope there's a tut somewhere to get it running without much hassle. Via Steam you should CS:GO of course, and some other ftp-games as well. Even if you're not going to play much it will help the statistics.

Vlc and/or SMPlayer, Gimp, Krita, Blender... it is quite a large list with options that can be installed. 

10 hours ago, JustThomasWith4845 said:

Software wise, Clemintine is a pretty nice music player and VLC can play pretty much every type of media known to man. Google Chrome kinda runs like shit, so if your not like me and stuck in your ways, you may want to try another browser like FireFox. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.