Scratch Build Case

zimma2

Hi all

Well I'm new to this forum stuff so please be gentle, its my first time :)

This is a build log of my new build (hopefully) I decided to try and build a case from scratch and with few new bits and bobs into it. What i want to achieve in this build is a nice clean build horizontal and vertical tubing runs with rigid tubing. I was inspired by some great cases like Caselabs and Corsair, and started to look around and although they are great cases none of them had what i wanted in one case. Which meant that i would have to buy an expensive case only to have to modify it to how i wanted it. Hence why i am trying to build on from scratch with all the bits that i want.

HOPEFULLY I WILL NOT BALLS IT UP!!   :/

Background Info:

i meet a very good friend of mine in 2012 who got me hooked on this very expensive obsession of water cooling. I have been water cooling for about 2 years now. i started out with those EK kits you can buy and have slowly progressed.

Future Build:

Case: Built from scratch

MOBO: Asus Rampage IV formula

MOBO Tray: Lian Li

CPU: i7 3820

GPU: Asus GTX 690

Ram: Ripjaws Z 16GB

Power Supply: Thortech Thunderbolt 850W

Sleeving: MDPC RED, Black, Light Grey (Heat shrinkless)

Colour Scheme: Red, Black, and Silver/Grey

Water Cooling bits:

Water Blocks: EK for both CPU and GPU  

Pump: 2 x D5

Rads: 2 x XSPC EX360 Crossflow Radiator, 1 x EK XT 360

Fans: 9 X Scythe Gentle Typhoons

Res:  Bitspower 250 tube

Tube: Primochill rigid tubing (Clear) (First time using rigid tubing) :0

Fluid:2 x Primochill red 1L

Fittings: Primochill revolver Silver Nickel, plus a combo of 90/45 degrees from bitspower and EK

Ok now i will try and attempt to insert a few pics. And a few teasers of what is to come :).

So this is my current build.

qelUtyQ.jpg

Some beautiful MDPC sleeving

Yi1slXn.jpg

See how nice the sleeving matches the Fans

Uqr7yTc.jpg

And now to my plan of the future build

V7B5kb9.jpg

Not the best but hopefully you get the idea.

Right lets see if those pics got posted. :P

Sweet Mastered the uploading of the pics on-the-line!!

OK, now as you can see this is my case... and a few clamps, rulers and square.

aqWbLQV.jpg

I bought several sheets of 1200mm x 600mm x 0.75mm of Galvabond and some Aluminium angle which will be my frame.

eZUEkLn.jpg

jAUEEvM.jpg

ygmvpvV.jpg

And some stuff i ordered arrived YEAH :)

pTItkJU.jpg

e6aoK1P.jpg

ok so what i got was 250 res from bitspower, my Mobo tray, 3 x 4 primochill fittings, primochill rigid tube clear, Dual D5 mod top, 2 x XSPC EX360 rads, fans, fluid, and D5 mod kit

Y9AIPVK.jpg

Tca9lJg.jpg

YWcU5Pp.jpg

SlnlcfW.jpg

A3Cy7oM.jpg

QFPrB3C.jpg

o37vHVi.jpg

O1v9iIN.jpg

WY43mIB.jpg

ZmwUoiL.jpg

Did that photo make you smile? :) thats some silicone insert tube for when you bend the rigid tube and some plugs

The fittings for the rigid tube

J0lnHzs.jpg

4lxtZPu.jpg

Such a great photo.

so next i will start on constructing the case. eeeeeHHH!!!

Ok so i have started the frame work. :) so far so good.

I'm really like the aluminum angle. Its very nice and easy to cut.

So here are some photos from the days work. 

Enjoy.......

First cut

55JfQ8D.jpg

The case with a few fame pieces placed together.

mxAMQ6T.jpg

This is the bracket that i used to secure the bits of angle together

INkJX32.jpg

OK the exterior frame work has been cut and screwed together

ACkuSaZ.jpg

and that is the end of the day work. 

Ok so i have started the frame work. :) so far so good.

I'm really like the aluminum angle. Its very nice and easy to cut.

Pictures Alert! Hahaha great so far might be a good idea to put in a hide/show on the pictures. Look forward what tomorrow brings.

Pictures Alert! Hahaha great so far might be a good idea to put in a hide/show on the pictures. Look forward what tomorrow brings.

Hi Ace.

Thanks for the advice. i am planning to upload quite a few pics as the build progresses. i know i have liked to see lots of pics in other peoples build logs.

Do you mean like explaining what i am trying to show in the picture and hide/show the picture so the logs aren't going to be pages long?

eg.

This is my case with all the cuts made.

%7Boption%7DHttp.dfgfgfgsgsg.jpg%7Boption%7D  (and hide show the image)

Good idea I'm currently trying to find out how to do that. If you know could you please tell me or send me a link on how to do it.

PS. you aren't known by Anonymous Ace in BF3 are you?

Cheers mate.

101704-bear-dis-gon-be-gud-gif-Imgur-w2H

subbed ^^

Hi Ace.

Thanks for the advice. i am planning to upload quite a few pics as the build progresses. i know i have liked to see lots of pics in other peoples build logs.

Do you mean like explaining what i am trying to show in the picture and hide/show the picture so the logs aren't going to be pages long?

eg.

This is my case with all the cuts made.

%7Boption%7DHttp.dfgfgfgsgsg.jpg%7Boption%7D  (and hide show the image)

Good idea I'm currently trying to find out how to do that. If you know could you please tell me or send me a link on how to do it.

PS. you aren't known by Anonymous Ace in BF3 are you?

Cheers mate.

No sorry mate I tried on here to do the code maybe one of the staff can show you how to do it. I'm not much of a HTML guy. Also I do not play much BF3 and I haven't used that username before.

Ok so another update.

After looking at the frame work i didnt like how the screws protruded, so i decided to counter sink the screws to make the case look nicer.

oa8AZ7u.jpg

G27WdQC.jpg

Ab3u5qP.jpg

ZGJJRa4.jpg

i think it now looks a lot nicer. The counter sink bit really started to make me angry.  :angry: There is a small gap between the drill bit and the counter sink cutting blades. which left a small ridge where this gap is. This wasn't too bad because i could just get a bigger drill bit and clean it up, BUT later on this gap started to fill up and not only not cut but required to be cleaned at least three time for each counter sink hole.

TisA5gH.jpg

So a tip if you are looking to try it yourself check to see if the counter sink blades are close/touching the drill bit.

So this is a nice imaged of the frame work with the counter sunk holes in them

7TNfV8s.jpg

Next,

Start to cut the sheet metal. So i made this guide out of some sheets of wood screwed together. it is used to cut nice straight lines with the jigsaw, i can rest the side of the jigsaw against this guide and it will cut nice straight lines and all i have to do is keep the jigsaw pressed against it and push forward. i don't have to focus on the line because it will be clamped inline with the cut.

1cJMRoy.jpg

SJ4KJ8u.jpg

4KA26mL.jpg

indBxiw.jpg

So this is a close up of the frame work counter sunk. It looks nice and i am happy with the look. :D

GMVNLOr.jpg

How do you like my box?  :wub:

mKRSygP.jpg

It has got a few of the side panels fitted to it and is starting to take shape as PC case.

I think it is looking good and the end of another days work.

OK so another day gone and some more updates. Now you can get a few glimpses of what the final layout will look like. :) I'm happy with it and it is starting to look quite good i think.

Today i drained my old system and removed all of the components. Removed the mobo tray cut out from the back panel and started arranging the order of the components in the location where they will be mounted and secured.

This is the old system starting to get drained. Nice cable management right.:)

nihGfOD.jpg

2lCdWqa.jpg

Cutting out the mobo tray on the back panel

nGqj5eL.jpg

rmm3SKN.jpg

I am going to mount the Pump and res combo the the mobo panel. So I am going to have to cut one of the bits power mounts in half

HPPOA0h.jpg

So this is a glimpse of what the finished build will look like

bWOOx94.jpg?1

looks quite nice  :D

I am planning on mounting the SSD and HDD near that front radiator to try and balance out that empty space. I'm not sure if this will be the final location for them of even if I will mount both of them there. 

And that is all for the days progress.

Hi All

Well something strange happened yesterday. i replied to a question from Karumu and did an update to the log and now they are not appearing in the build log.

Anyway basically Karumu was asking if having 3 rads to cool 1 CPU and 1 GPU was really necessary. No having 3 rads is not nesessary for my current setup and is an overkill, but the reason i have done it are below.

• if i want to at some point have 2 or 3 way SLI all i have to do is change 1 maybe 2 tubes and all the rads and infrastructure will already be in place and installed.
  • i want to show off all the water cooling components, pumps, fittings, rads, etc. and i don't want to hide anything. By having the XSPC EX crossflow rad to transfer the fluid from one side of the case to the other removes having any horrible tubing routes running straight across the front of the build or having to try and hide it behind the mobo panel as i want to so off everything
  • i really like the design of the crossflow rads and haven't seen many/anyone use it, so i am trying to show how these can be used by reducing the amount of tubing and hopefully a great looking build

Thanks Karumu for that great question. 

Ok so yesterday i cut some holes for the power cables for the mobo and fans in the mobo panel, and cut holes in the top, front and bottom for the airflow of fans/rads.

Photo time :)

This is a few holes for the power to the mobo and fans

DUks3Xf.jpg

Now with a few more components in..... you can really get some good glimpses of what the final build will look like.

jEt6eA5.jpg

This is the hole saw i used to cut the airflow holes for the fans/rads. It is such a get tool makes its sooooo quick and easy. And does a really great job

btTHEao.jpg

ntWdgAL.jpg

83OGfmS.jpg

looks pretty good

and that is what happened yesterday. :)

Today i mounted my power supply and fan controller.

This is the little bracket/stand i made for the power supply.

LmCZPAO.jpg

lots of brackets!!

And the hole in the back panel for it

Eou9NMx.jpg

7QxTupV.jpg

And the hole in the front panel to the Fan controller

N69j4zr.jpg

And that raps up the days update :)

There are only a few things left to do before i can start to build inside it... make a hole for the power button and start painting.

I am going to have to make the side panel with a window in it when i get back from work (in about 3 weeks) and come up with a design to put on the case.

Sweet! So subbed! Don't you need some kind of standoff so you don't ground the circuitry on the HDD? Leaves me kinda worried. Plus, really ghetto PSU bracket  :P

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Sweet! So subbed! Don't you need some kind of standoff so you don't ground the circuitry on the HDD? Leaves me kinda worried. Plus, really ghetto PSU bracket  :P

Yes i am not 100% certain on where im going to mount my HDD, but yes im looking to use some standoff mounts thank you for the reminder.  :)

I'm also not sure if i do mount it there what im going to do about the horrible sticker on the HDD. Do i colour it black or something? I'm also kinda thinking of making a feature on top of it somehow, maybe with some lights and a symbol or logo on it? I'm not sure, still brain storming at this stage. Thanks for your question and concerns I'm no hot-shot in computer builds and will probably makes a mistake somewhere  :(  So if you see anything where you think i have made a mistake please say something. cheers.

Yes hahaha the PSU bracket. :D  i was trying to get the build done before i started work again so it was a bit rushed and slap-dash. Its not the most prettiest thing but it will be hidden and wont be visible so im not to worried by the crudeness of it  :)

Thanks for the post. :)

Yes i am not 100% certain on where im going to mount my HDD, but yes im looking to use some standoff mounts thank you for the reminder.  :)

I'm also not sure if i do mount it there what im going to do about the horrible sticker on the HDD. Do i colour it black or something? I'm also kinda thinking of making a feature on top of it somehow, maybe with some lights and a symbol or logo on it? I'm not sure, still brain storming at this stage. Thanks for your question and concerns I'm no hot-shot in computer builds and will probably makes a mistake somewhere  :(  So if you see anything where you think i have made a mistake please say something. cheers.

Yes hahaha the PSU bracket. :D  i was trying to get the build done before i started work again so it was a bit rushed and slap-dash. Its not the most prettiest thing but it will be hidden and wont be visible so im not to worried by the crudeness of it  :)

Thanks for the post. :)

Well, you can paint the HDD sticker any  colour you like.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I see somebody likes laced cables too. :D

Digging what I'm seeing so far, looking forward to the rest.

But yeah, I wouldn't trust that PSU TBH.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

oh BTW if you haven't already bought that PSU i would look at this review...

Hi there. Thanks guys for the post.

Unfortunately i already own that PSU. i bought that PSU a long time ago (about 2 years ago) when i first started to get interested in PC builds and didn't realise that it wasn't a great PSU (just a noob). i have seen the reviews of it and know that there are better PSU out there.

i haven't had any troubles yet :) (touch wood)

Hi there. Thanks guys for the post.

Unfortunately i already own that PSU. i bought that PSU a long time ago (about 2 years ago) when i first started to get interested in PC builds and didn't realise that it wasn't a great PSU (just a noob). i have seen the reviews of it and know that there are better PSU out there.

i haven't had any troubles yet :) (touch wood)

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=222 The PSU master approves. I wouldn't worry. TTL must have gotten a bad sample. From looking at a couple of reviews everything seems fine with them.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

YES!! LACED CABLES  :lol: You noticed :) hahaha. i will definitely get them straightened out when its time for the money shots.  :P

I think if you have different colour cables, lacing them keeps them in order and really makes them look nice and neat.

i like to try and learn new things hence, heat shrinkless sleeved cables, cable lacing, water cooling, case mods, scratch case building, rigid tubing. :rolleyes: i had seen it done on a few build (yours included) i wanted to try it out :)

YES!! LACED CABLES  :lol: You noticed :) hahaha. i will definitely get them straightened out when its time for the money shots.  :P

Well of course I noticed, for I too am I lacer of cables as you know. :D

I think if you have different colour cables, lacing them keeps them in order and really makes them look nice and neat.

+1

i like to try and learn new things hence, heat shrinkless sleeved cables, cable lacing, water cooling, case mods, scratch case building, rigid tubing. :rolleyes: i had seen it done on a few build (yours included) i wanted to try it out :)

That's what this whole modding thing is about IMHO. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic