System fails to post: ASUS error code 00

Dr. Prop

After RMAing my motherboard due to the issues described here 

I received my replacement board in the mail today. I connected my boot drive, ram, gpu, psu, monitor, and keyboard to the new board then attempted to boot into the bios. I immediately get "CPU code 00" on the motherboard display. My motherboard manual says this code is "Not Used". So naturally that's the code I get....

I have tried reseating the CPU in the socket (it is oriented correctly, has the installation tool on correctly, etc.... ) and flashing the bios. Neither step worked. I get the same error code and nothing on the monitor. When I RMA'd my motherboard, I was just getting a click from the psu, no display messages. At the time, Bitfenix claimed it wasn't their PSU based on a video I sent them.

What is the problem now? Specs are in the my signature panel.

System

Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8086K 4GHz 6-Core Processor

GPU: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Turbo Video Card

RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 80 Plus Gold Full Modular 850W PSU, BWG850M

Storage: C Drive – Samsung - 970 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 NVMe SSD

Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste - 1.0 Gram

All-In-One: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500M ATX Mid-Tower

22 minutes ago, Dr. Prop said:

After RMAing my motherboard due to the issues described here 

I received my replacement board in the mail today. I connected my boot drive, ram, gpu, psu, monitor, and keyboard to the new board then attempted to boot into the bios. I immediately get "CPU code 00" on the motherboard display. My motherboard manual says this code is "Not Used". So naturally that's the code I get....

I have tried reseating the CPU in the socket (it is oriented correctly, has the installation tool on correctly, etc.... ) and flashing the bios. Neither step worked. I get the same error code and nothing on the monitor. When I RMA'd my motherboard, I was just getting a click from the psu, no display messages. At the time, Bitfenix claimed it wasn't their PSU based on a video I sent them.

What is the problem now? Specs are in the my signature panel.

Could be a bad CPU. Pretty rare, but certainly possible. Do you know anyone with a CPU that will work who you can borrow it from just to test with?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

Could be a bad CPU. Pretty rare, but certainly possible. Do you know anyone with a CPU that will work who you can borrow it from just to test with?

Unfortunately not. I'm going through Intel's RMA process now.

System

1 minute ago, Dr. Prop said:

Unfortunately not. I'm going through Intel's RMA process now.

Yea I mean, hard to say its anything else. Assuming your mobo supports the CPU and has the most up to date BIOS (if your getting code 00, can you even get to update it though? and the RMA unit, any idea if its fully updated?), I would think its the CPU. But those things I said in parentheses are important ones lol.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

Yea I mean, hard to say its anything else. Assuming your mobo supports the CPU and has the most up to date BIOS (if your getting code 00, can you even get to update it though? and the RMA unit, any idea if its fully updated?), I would think its the CPU. But those things I said in parentheses are important ones lol.

I am able to plug in my motherboard to my psu and turn the psu on. From there, when I plugged the USB in and held the bios flashback button for three seconds, the update continued (flashback button kept flashing) until it was done, then deilluminated. So as far as I know the BIOS flashback worked. I do know that the RMA replacement unit is lacking the built in I/O shield my original one had... Now I have to complain about that too.

System

I am able to plug in my motherboard to my psu and turn the psu on. From there, when I plugged the USB in and held the bios flashback button for three seconds, the update continued (flashback button kept flashing) until it was done, then deilluminated. So as far as I know the BIOS flashback worked. I do know that the RMA replacement unit is lacking the built in I/O shield my original one had... Now I have to complain about that too.

I have never used bios flashback. But just to confirm, you are pluggin in a flash drive with the newest BIOS on it in the root directory, and then pressing the flashback button? 

I have never used bios flashback. But just to confirm, you are pluggin in a flash drive with the newest BIOS on it in the root directory, and then pressing the flashback button? 

Correct. 

System

3 minutes ago, Dr. Prop said:

Correct. 

And that BIOS is unzipped? And not in a folder?

Beyond that, hmm. It could be bad RAM or CPU, but really hard to know if you can't swap parts with anyone. Someone around you should have a PC that uses DDR4, can always at least try their RAM and narrow that down...

And that BIOS is unzipped? And not in a folder?

Beyond that, hmm. It could be bad RAM or CPU, but really hard to know if you can't swap parts with anyone. Someone around you should have a PC that uses DDR4, can always at least try their RAM and narrow that down...

Also correct. I fully believe the flashback worked flawlessly. I have tried both ram sticks in the appropriate configuration together and separately. I really doubt its the ram. 

System

4 minutes ago, Dr. Prop said:

Correct. 

Made sure to rename the BIOS?

If you're definitely following the flashback instructions 110% and it's not working then it does unfortunately sound like a CPU issue. 00 on modern ASUS boards does seem to mean that something is dead.

If you are able to easily remove the BIOS chip you could try getting a pre-flashed one off eBay.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Made sure to rename the BIOS?

If you're definitely following the flashback instructions 110% and it's not working then it does unfortunately sound like a CPU issue. 00 on modern ASUS boards does seem to mean that something is dead.

If you are able to easily remove the BIOS chip you could try getting a pre-flashed one off eBay.

Yep, I renamed it properly. I followed an ASUS made video to do it.

System

Yep, I renamed it properly. I followed an ASUS made video to do it.

Well at least you're following the instructions which is better than most of these encounters.

Anyway, it does sound like a CPU problem then. Having dealt with something similar with a Xeon and a X99 motherboard I'd be confident in saying it's a CPU issue. Of course there's always the option of being wrong.

You should be able to get the CPU RMA'd easily. If the Intel warranty is still in good shape just claim it off that. Or the seller. Do whatever works for you.

As part of one last attempt to get it working I'd install the CPU without the installation tool. It isn't needed.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

56 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

As part of one last attempt to get it working I'd install the CPU without the installation tool. It isn't needed.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a shot before I send the cpu off for RMA.

System