Laptop How To Keep Cool

Calling John

i got 2 laptops free off a lady on facebook marketplace she said both where good for parts but they both work fine and in good condition

specs are

hp i3 330m gt 230m 4gb ram 320gb hdd
hp i7 3610qm gt630m 4gb ram 640gb hdd looks like it was hardly ever used

now the laptops run 100% fine but i wanted to use the i7 to play some older games

i just wanted to know if there is a way to keep the laptop a little cooler and is there anything i can have on screen to show the gpu and cpu temps when gaming to make sure the laptop is not getting too hot and what temp should i stay under because i don't want to fry/cook the cpu or gpu

Those CPUs are going to get hot. Laptops in general run hot. It is not uncommon to see CPUs hit to 80s and 90s. 

best thing to do is make sure the heat sinks are free of debris and reapply new thermal paste. That would require taking apart the systems. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

@Calling John

3 hours ago, Lord Xeb said:

Those CPUs are going to get hot. Laptops in general run hot. It is not uncommon to see CPUs hit to 80s and 90s. 

best thing to do is make sure the heat sinks are free of debris and reapply new thermal paste. That would require taking apart the systems. 

Yes this is true, they are running hot, specially that you planning to put much hotter cpu which wasn’t intended to be there so cooler isn’t designed to keep it cool. You can try putting liquid metal instead of thermal paste, I know it works you just need to be careful with it.

Also make sure your bios will even support i7 cpu, not all of them will.

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

14 minutes ago, Whiro said:

@Calling John

Yes this is true, they are running hot, specially that you planning to put much hotter cpu which wasn’t intended to be there so cooler isn’t designed to keep it cool. You can try putting liquid metal instead of thermal paste, I know it works you just need to be careful with it.

Also make sure your bios will even support i7 cpu, not all of them will.

i said i was given 2 laptops with these specs im not upgrading the cpu the i7 model is just the one i want to use to play older games on

5 minutes ago, Calling John said:

i said i was given 2 laptops with these specs im not upgrading the cpu the i7 model is just the one i want to use to play older games on

Ahh sorry I’ve miss read that. 
But still what I said before is correct ( most parts) if you use liquid metal it’ll definitely drop the temps

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS