Haunted Hardware? Dead pixel disappeared after restart.

MayorPotatoSalad

My girlfriend noticed a dead/stuck pixel on her monitor this afternoon, photo attached. 

It was super blatant on any light content, and even had a shadow around it. It persisted all afternoon but after we got back from dinner and she woke her system back up and reached the Windows lock screen there was no sign of it. We were both very relieved until we noticed that the second she had logged back in it had returned?! Understanding it must not be the monitor we did a full restart of the computer (the pixel came back to life again on the shutting down screen) and since then it has been completely fine.

I was hoping someone would be able to explain to me how this could have occurred? The fact that it appeared and disappeared depending on what Windows was doing indicates to me it is a Windows issue, but I don't understand how it could have such a strange influence on the display pipeline.

20200126_170208.thumb.jpg.62f0566596f8ac982ba35f63de566526.jpg

A pixel can fail intermittently, at which point the colour you are trying to display can impact if it works or not.

Technically a dead pixel would be white, a stuck pixel can be any colour as its not necessarily the whole pixel that fails, it can be just a sub-pixel.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I got this problem many times. It isn't a stuck pixel in my case 'cause it appears in different parts of my monitor and always has the same format and can be hidden by a fullscreen application, the mouse's cursor or even the task manager with the option "always on top".
The solution for this is to restart the computer then everything goes back to normal. I have a Zowie's XL2430T monitor with a GTX 970 graphics card.

• 1 month later...

It seems that i'm encountering the exact same issue. It's mostly visible on the windows desktop itself.

The weird thing is that: 

1. After a Windows 10 reboot it's gone (for a while)

2. Turning the screen off and on does not fix the pixel.

3. The pixel is not showing on Windows 10 reboot screen while updating or on lock screen.

4. When i place taskmanager on it its not visible, but on other white screens it is.

5. When i screenshot the entire desktop its visible in the screenshot aswell.

I started noticing the issue yesterday after i installed some Windows and GPU driver updates few weeks ago.
Yesterday i started noticing the black pixel so thats when i installed the last few windows updates and did a clean update of my Nvidia driver. Going to have a look tonight to see if the issue has been fixed or not. Unfortunately this is the only topic i could find online regarding this issue.

Also regarding the placement on your picture, mine seems to be in the exact position as mine.

I almostd sent off my screen under warranty for replacement however it seems that it's more Windows related.

Did you or anybody else find an fix for this?

2.jpg

1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. Other than making this post I never really did any more reading into what caused the issue. I'm still super fascinated by what caused the problem, but no, I never found a sure fire solution.

I don't believe it's a dead or stuck pixel. I have the same exact problem. It has happened twice and so far it seems to occur for me when I start any windows update that needs a restart after. So far it has gone away after the update and restart. I'm think maybe something with the software when restarting. I would attach a photo but forgot to.

Made an account just to post about this. I got this problem just randomly earlier today. Restarting seems to fix it, but looking online, I found this reddit thread about it. 

in particular, this comment:

yak9b

1 point·1 month ago·edited 1 month ago

EDIT: SOLVED

I managed to replicate the bug and have uploaded it to YouTube. We can now sleep well knowing its not malware. Again, thank you to u/RallerenP for answering this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUdJMV1pGKw&feature=youtu.be

original text:

I have continued to look into this. It appears to be caused by a bugged program that is stuck in a 1x1 resolution. Thank you to u/RallerenP for shedding light on this, you can view his response to a post regarding the same issue here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/evyjvz/dead_pixel_that_goes_away_after_restarting/

More examples I found of this issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/computerhelp/comments/ewtoor/does_anyone_know_how_to_fix_this/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/exau96/pixel_dead_or_stuck_it_has_a_dark_gradient_around/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/can-anyone-help-me-with-a-dead-pixel.3560142/

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/monitor-fault-dead-pixel-odd.18826850/

So it seems to be a program that is stuck in a 1x1 resolution window.

2 minutes ago, MrPeachie said:

So it seems to be a program that is stuck in a 1x1 resolution window.

I've heard that before indeed. If I recall correctly it was Steam. I recommend closing programs through task manager, see if that helps. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

• 3 months later...

I got this shit too :D change resolution and u will get stretched dead pixel :D

• 7 months later...
On 1/27/2020 at 12:29 AM, MayorPotatoSalad said:

My girlfriend noticed a dead/stuck pixel on her monitor this afternoon, photo attached. 

It was super blatant on any light content, and even had a shadow around it. It persisted all afternoon but after we got back from dinner and she woke her system back up and reached the Windows lock screen there was no sign of it. We were both very relieved until we noticed that the second she had logged back in it had returned?! Understanding it must not be the monitor we did a full restart of the computer (the pixel came back to life again on the shutting down screen) and since then it has been completely fine.

I was hoping someone would be able to explain to me how this could have occurred? The fact that it appeared and disappeared depending on what Windows was doing indicates to me it is a Windows issue, but I don't understand how it could have such a strange influence on the display pipeline.

20200126_170208.thumb.jpg.62f0566596f8ac982ba35f63de566526.jpg

Omg that is exactly the same thing that was on my aoc 24g2 mine looked exactly the same as yours i was about to contact where I got the monitor from until I moved my curser over the pixel and it disappears but I restarted my pc and that fixed the problem wow kind of weird 

• 1 year later...

Hello I know the solution and the cause of this issue

This dead pixel appears on users that have steam, its basicly happens whenever steam freezes a bit on some areas

The easy fix to this is simple, EXIT ( not close ) Steam itself,  simply at the top left corner where it says steam, click it, then click exit

Note: closing the normal steam tab WILL not fix this, you have to exit all steam itself

and if you dont want this problem to happen again, dont browse too much in steam itself, open your games in another way, like icons on your desktop,

i hope this helps!

I also encountered this issue. It's not a dead or stuck pixel. It's an window from an app that is only 1 pixel big. The shading around it is the window border. If you ever encounter this, restart your PC and it's gone.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

no need to restart your pc , just close the app and open it again and its gone