keeping windows 7

Los Serpent

i wanna keep windows 7, what are some things i'll have to lookout for?

and i can i keep NOT using a antivirus as i have done up until now?

2 minutes ago, Los Serpent said:

and i can i keep NOT using a antivirus as i have done up until now?

There's nothing stopping you from doing so. But remember you become more and more easily to get hacked as time passes and more exploits are released so with time your system becomes more prone to being hit by malware or cyber attacks. Also 2nd of all you will find that with time your apps will stop working as most publishers will be slowly dropping windows 7 support if they haven't done it already.

4 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

There's nothing stopping you from doing so. But remember you become more and more easily to get hacked as time passes and more exploits are released so with time your system becomes more prone to being hit by malware or cyber attacks. Also 2nd of all you will find that with time your apps will stop working as most publishers will be slowly dropping windows 7 support if they haven't done it already.

100% agree, I've seen an instance where the publisher of QuickBooks actually doesn't support earlier updated of Windows 10, so to install a newer version of QuickBooks it's required that users have a newer version of 10.

Now's a good time to switch to Linux...

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Now's a good time to switch to Linux...

lol i didn't know we got people with good jokes here

1 minute ago, Los Serpent said:

They aren't wrong but are off topic.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, Los Serpent said:

Not a joke. Linux is better for most workloads and I'd say that the only thing it's (slightly) behind Windows in is gaming (mostly due to the anti-cheat software some games use, such as Battleye, not working on Linux). It's also more secure and isn't full of spyware like Windows 10 is.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, vorticalbox said:

They aren't wrong but are off topic.

linux is a joke, name any business that takes themselves seriously that use linux

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Not a joke. Linux is better for most workloads and I'd say that the only thing it's (slightly) behind Windows in is gaming (mostly due to the anti-cheat software some games use, such as Battleye, not working on Linux). It's also more secure and isn't full of spyware like Windows 10 is.

oh yeah absolutely, linux is grate, you know when the os is stripped to the bone no wonder!

also if you don't mind being cut out from 99% of decent software, then linux is a grate option xD

i mean spyware isn't any issue for anyone who has been on the internet for more than a year

linux is a joke, name any business that takes themselves seriously that use linux

Literally every Web server on the planet is running Linux, in my company over half are on Linux and we have 1 mac user and we have far less issues than the windows users. (software development)

Linux is fast and stable which is why the world uses it for servers, not to mention in place updates with no restarting.

No tracking, no os level ads. AAs said steam now has lots of games running nicely on Linux so it's a very good time to consider it.

oh yeah absolutely, linux is grate, you know when the os is stripped to the bone no wonder!

also if you don't mind being cut out from 99% of decent software, then linux is a grate option xD

i mean spyware isn't any issue for anyone who has been on the internet for more than a year

1. It's not stripped to the bone. You clearly have never used Linux, especially recent Linux.

2. You aren't cut out of 99% of software. At the *absolute most* I'd say 5% or so. Proton makes almost all Steam games run on Linux, Wine makes most Windows programs run on Linux.

3. I somehow doubt you would rather use an OS with spyware than without.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

Literally every Web server on the planet is running Linux, in my company over half are on Linux and we have 1 mac user and we have far less issues than the windows users. (software development)

Linux is fast and stable which is why the world uses it for servers, not to mention in place updates with no restarting.

No tracking, no os level ads. AAs said steam now has lots of games running nicely on Linux so it's a very good time to consider it.

lol, yeah, every webserver, W E B server. not your average pc

i work as an IT technician for one of the largest best companies in italy (IMA) and i've never even heard linux mentioned, so yeah.

neither have i ever seen linux in any serious buisness.

no tracking, no os level ads, no software, ok maybe it's got a few games but that's after so many years of not having em.

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

1. It's not stripped to the bone. You clearly have never used Linux, especially recent Linux.

2. You aren't cut out of 99% of software. At the *absolute most* I'd say 5% or so. Proton makes almost all Steam games run on Linux, Wine makes most Windows programs run on Linux.

3. I somehow doubt you would rather use an OS with spyware than without.

dude i've been on the internet for a very long time, and i've only got a virus once when i was 10 clicking on everything that popped up lmao.

never since then i got a virus..... and i've been without an antivirus for about 6 years now.

only reason i asked is because i didn't really look properly at what windows 7 endlife will mean. i just don't know how vulnerable i'm gonna be 

besides if i had to switch i'd go for win 10, i just can't be fucked to switch that's all... big pain in the ass because i got 3tb of files, and backup won't do.

2 minutes ago, Los Serpent said:

dude i've been on the internet for a very long time, and i've only got a virus once when i was 10 clicking on everything that popped up lmao.

never since then i got a virus..... and i've been without an antivirus for about 6 years now.

only reason i asked is because i didn't really look properly at what windows 7 endlife will mean. i just don't know how vulnerable i'm gonna be 

besides if i had to switch i'd go for win 10, i just can't be fucked to switch that's all... big pain in the ass because i got 3tb of files, and backup won't do.

You're gonna be pretty damn vulnerable unless you somehow manage to stay offline forever.

Switching to Linux isn't that hard. What do you do on your computer?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, Los Serpent said:

lol, yeah, every webserver, W E B server. not your average pc

i work as an IT technician for one of the largest best companies in italy (IMA) and i've never even heard linux mentioned, so yeah.

neither have i ever seen linux in any serious buisness.

no tracking, no os level ads, no software, ok maybe it's got a few games but that's after so many years of not having em.

I work as a start up in the UK crating financial crm and out of 10 person team, 6 use linux, 3 on windows and 1 mac.

I guess it depends on your place of work.

Be ready to run System restore more often than usual, dual booting linux for any shady things doesn't hurt...

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You're gonna be pretty damn vulnerable unless you somehow manage to stay offline forever.

omg, dude, there is no single reason on this planet that would ever make me switch to linux lol, i'd rather be off the internet for my entire life.

as i've said, if i have to switch, it will be for windows 10. only reason i won't is the one stated above

4 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Be ready to run System restore more often than usual, dual booting linux for any shady things doesn't hurt...

on the dual booting mode, that could actually be a good idea, i could pop another 2tb ssd and throw 10 on it

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I'm not the creator of this thread, but I need to use Office, which, according to an article from a month or two ago, can be done by using Wine, but only up until Office 2010, which will be losing support in a few months too unfortunately. Office 2016 was possible on another program, but that program isn't free, so it's no option either. Using a virtual machine for every Word document would be ridiculous.

I also need to run many different programs for my course. People with Macs are told to run a virtual machine, but again, that's very inconvenient.

There's also the matter of having to relearn a lot of the OS, which is also inconvenient. Though it'd be awesome to be able to switch, Linux just isn't a realistic option for me.

Anyways, I'm also curious what people think of how it'll be to run Windows 7 from now on. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

every major server worldwide including amazon, facebook and google uses linux but judging by the tone of your replies is not like you really care since this is a troll post

please, do it

EvRy SeRvEr UsEs lInUx

nice anime pic btw, you're the troll here who is too low iq to differentiate between a server and a desktop pc

Linux people need to get off their high horse. 

OP you should be fine. Maybe run the browser on a Sandbox or VM for extra security?

16 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Linux people need to get off their high horse. 

OP you should be fine. Maybe run the browser on a Sandbox or VM for extra security?

at that point, wouldn't just installing an antivirus and firewall do?

6 minutes ago, Los Serpent said:

at that point, wouldn't just installing an antivirus and firewall do?

It's not the same. 

Once you make a Sandbox or VM you can make a snapshot and if it gets infected you can restore it immediately with just a few clicks without the need of having to scan your PC or restart it and interrupt whatever you're doing. 

Don't get me wrong, there are ways to escape the VM environment and nothing is perfectly safe but imo it's more elegant and quite convenient solution 

3 minutes ago, Los Serpent said:

omg, dude, there is no single reason on this planet that would ever make me switch to linux lol, i'd rather be off the internet for my entire life.

as i've said, if i have to switch, it will be for windows 10. only reason i won't is the one stated above

Not sure why you'd rather use an old, unsupported, and insecure OS instead of a modern, open source, secure and supported OS, but hey, whatever man.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Not sure why you'd rather use an old, unsupported, and insecure OS instead of a modern, open source, secure and supported OS, but hey, whatever man.

lol,

because what your calling secure is a piace of shit

secure, yes it is! what kind of miserable hacker would make a virus for an system NO one uses? and the few who do are nerds who could never get hacked because they spend their life online?

"Not sure why you'd rather use an old, unsupported, and insecure OS" 

dude i stated twice why.

"old" yes, and?