Do you think NVMe SSDs is more "Future proof"?

Mihle

What I mean is that, on real world difference in OS, games and programs eight now, there aren't that much difference between NVMe and SATA?

But do you think for example programs and games will change in the future, so NVMe speeds is used better and therefore there is a larger difference between NVMe and SATA? I am talking in for example 7 years or more.

Another question, how much more would you pay for an 1 or 2 TB SSD if it was NVMe over an 2,5" SATA SSD?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I won't say sata is going to die anytime soon, as it is still very useful for storage purposes. There's still limited space on the motherboard for nvme.

I wouldn't pay the extra to get a larger ssd. I'd like to have my system up as fast as possible but I do not like to spoil the space with data and programs that aren't regularly used. 1tb isn't much these days so getting a >2tb sata hdd next to the ssd is the way I go - and it's a cheap way since I do fine with a relatively small and therefore inexpensive ssd.

I think a really really fast one might be.  Only might though.  It’s all about the new consoles.  They’ve got some sort of black box high speed storage they’re planning on leveraging in games.  How it works or what it does and if it’s even useful are totally unknown though.  If I wind up building before the consoles come out (which I’m trying to avoid but isn’t out of the realm of possibility) I’m thinking about buying a single cheap large slow SSD to use as a storage drive that can still boot, and holding my nvme slots empty in case I have to buy a rocket or something to keep playing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Technically yes, practically, no. In most tasks there is hardly any difference between SATA and NVMe drives. It only starts showing at stupid demanding random access where NVMe has slightly lower latency and overhead. And when you need insane sequential speeds beyond 550MB/s offered by SATA3.

As far as general tasks go like running Windows, apps and games, basically zero difference. M.2 format is more convenient too. Takes little space and requires no extra cables.

Absolutely. Word is PCIe SSDs outsold SATA in 2019 for the first time with OEMs. Both upcoming primary game consoles will harness NVMe with games designed to leverage the technology.