Ryzen 5 3600x won't boot to OS, but will go to BIOS

So basically, I bought a Ryzen 5 3600x to pair with a ASUS B450 Prime Gaming. Worked fine for about a month until one day I BSOD and it just wouldn't boot to the OS again, but could access BIOS normally. I thought it could be my Windows installation, so I created a USB windows media to reinstall it, but the USB Drive wouldn't boot either, the little circles would appear but the PC would reboot. Put my SSD in another laptop, worked fine. I thought it was my mobo then, so I picked up a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, but the same issue still happens. It will boot to the SSD, but there'll be a few seconds of the Windows logo then the system reboots. Won't boot to a USB drive either. Is the issue my CPU? It has no bent pins and is brand new. Maybe my PSU? Anyone had this happen to them?

7 minutes ago, thebeastman said:

So basically, I bought a Ryzen 5 3600x to pair with a ASUS B450 Prime Gaming. Worked fine for about a month until one day I BSOD and it just wouldn't boot to the OS again, but could access BIOS normally. I thought it could be my Windows installation, so I created a USB windows media to reinstall it, but the USB Drive wouldn't boot either, the little circles would appear but the PC would reboot. Put my SSD in another laptop, worked fine. I thought it was my mobo then, so I picked up a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, but the same issue still happens. It will boot to the SSD, but there'll be a few seconds of the Windows logo then the system reboots. Won't boot to a USB drive either. Is the issue my CPU? It has no bent pins and is brand new. Maybe my PSU? Anyone had this happen to them?

The first thing I would do is reformat the drive then try a fresh install.  Maybe something is driver corrupted on the current install?  Sounds like you did a recovery USB or?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, Tristerin said:

The first thing I would do is reformat the drive then try a fresh install.  Maybe something is driver corrupted on the current install?  Sounds like you did a recovery USB or?

I did a recovery usb and even that won't boot. I'm now getting a BSOD on the installation usb!

Silly question, but...

Is your BIOS at the latest version? 

~~~ MY RECENTLY UPDATED RIG ~~~

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700

MOBO: ASUS Prime B450M-A

GPU: ASUS RX580 Dual 8 GB

RAM: 4 x 8GB Team T-Force Vulcan 2666Mhz

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro RGB

PSU: Silverstone 80+ Platinum 750W Fully Modular

Case: Cougar Panzer Dual Tempered Glass

Storage: Samsung 840 500GB 2.5" SSD

Storage: SanDisk 240GB 2.5" SSD

Storage: LiteON 240 GB 2.5" SSD

Storage: Toshiba 3TB 7200rpm 3.5" HDD

PC Part Picker list:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/4bH3V6

Clear CMOS on the motherboard.  if that doesn't work, remove everything except 1 stick of ram and the GPU and try and boot with a USB.  If that still doesn't do it then it might be the CPU, or the motherboard.

Might want to test your RAM as well. I've come across a few of these in the past. Also, if the BSOD screen has an error code, try looking it up.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

Just now, Dufsao14 said:

Silly question, but...

Is your BIOS at the latest version? 

Yes, but it wasn't working with the factory bios either

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Clear CMOS on the motherboard.  if that doesn't work, remove everything except 1 stick of ram and the GPU and try and boot with a USB.  If that still doesn't do it then it might be the CPU, or the motherboard.

I'll try clearing CMOS, and just tried testing each of my ram sticks separately, still wouldn't work. Surely it's not the motherboard? The exact same problem on 2 brand new mobos

Just now, Xiee said:

Might want to test your RAM as well. I've come across a few of these in the past. Also, if the BSOD screen has an error code, try looking it up.

Just did, no results with either sticks. The BSOD has that "IRL_DRIVER_NOT_EQUAL" or something like that, the one that can mean a billion things.

5 minutes ago, thebeastman said:

The exact same problem on 2 brand new mobos

Highly unlikely, much more probable its the CPU.  Reseating it would be a good idea too.

I think @TheGlenlivet is on the right track here

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

22 minutes ago, thebeastman said:

Just did, no results with either sticks. 

How did you get "NO" results "testing" the memory??

One stick in slot A1. Fire it up. Post windows or not?

Other stick, same as first, by itself A1, does it post windows?

Or do the above, but run memtest86 on each individual stick 

https://www.memtest86.com/

The Cpu could be bad, but I'd be testing the memory first. Obviously the Cpu has a load (1core) while in bios so it's obviously operational, unless the Cpu LED light is solid and it doesn't post, the processor self check passed and continued.

I'm with @Xiee  & @TheGlenlivet Test the memory. Correctly.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

How did you get "NO" results "testing" the memory??

One stick in slot A1. Fire it up. Post windows or not?

Other stick, same as first, by itself A1, does it post windows?

The Cpu could be bad, but I'd be testing the memory first. Obviously the Cpu has a load (1core) while in bios so it's obviously operational, unless the Cpu LED light is solid and it doesn't post, the processor self check passed and continued.

Sorry, should have been clearer. No POSITIVE results, still unable to boot.

Just now, thebeastman said:

Sorry, should have been clearer. No POSITIVE results, still unable to boot.

Need a lot more information.

If you've tried certain things, please be descriptive so we don't repeat stuff you've already tried.

If you haven't tried any suggestions I've listed, well try them. Gotta diagnose the shit somehow.....

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Need a lot more information.

If you've tried certain things, please be descriptive so we don't repeat stuff you've already tried.

If you haven't tried any suggestions I've listed, well try them. Gotta diagnose the shit somehow.....

Yeah, sorry, my first time with a serious post and I'm really nervous because this PC cost all my spare money and warranty here in Brazil isn't really good. For anyone on this thread:

- Tried reseating both sticks of RAM, and tried both sticks on all slots by themselves, same result

- Tried clearing CMOS

- Already updated BIOS

- Previous motherboard had exact same problem

- SSD works on other machines

- Tried booting with nothing but a stick of RAM and GPU (GTX 1070)

- BIOS works flawlessly as far as I can tell

- Alternates between BSOD and simply restarting the system, BSOD generally complains about drivers.

7 minutes ago, thebeastman said:

Yeah, sorry, my first time with a serious post and I'm really nervous because this PC cost all my spare money and warranty here in Brazil isn't really good. For anyone on this thread:

- Tried reseating both sticks of RAM, and tried both sticks on all slots by themselves, same result

- Tried clearing CMOS

- Already updated BIOS

- Previous motherboard had exact same problem

- SSD works on other machines

- Tried booting with nothing but a stick of RAM and GPU (GTX 1070)

- BIOS works flawlessly as far as I can tell

- Alternates between BSOD and simply restarting the system, BSOD generally complains about drivers.

Never gets to OS desktop?  Windows or Linux USB?

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Never gets to OS desktop?  Windows or Linux USB?

Never got to OS on Windows 10 on my SSD and the Windows Install Tool on my USB drive. Do you know of a Linux build I could use on my USB to test this? I know nothing about Linux

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'm with @Xiee  & @TheGlenlivet Test the memory. Correctly.

Started up memtest86, if I get any errors I'll share here

Is it possible that Win10 has some problems with nvme-access? Is it also possible to disable this access for install, then get appropriate drivers before switching it back on?

For Linux: Manjaro (based on Arch) and Mint (based on Ubuntu, Debian) have good hardware-support right out of the box, they allow to be used right off the usb-stick. MX-Linux (Debian) is also nice and lean, but it has some edges sometimes.

It is easy to put a live-install on a usb stick to run any of them, there's a good chance they run well.

5 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

Is it possible that Win10 has some problems with nvme-access? Is it also possible to disable this access for install, then get appropriate drivers before switching it back on?

For Linux: Manjaro (based on Arch) and Mint (based on Ubuntu, Debian) have good hardware-support right out of the box, they allow to be used right off the usb-stick. MX-Linux (Debian) is also nice and lean, but it has some edges sometimes.

It is easy to put a live-install on a usb stick to run any of them, there's a good chance they run well.

If I understood your comment correctly, my SSD isn't NVME, it's SATA. I've more or less settled on the fact that there is something about Windows drivers (even in their installer on my USB drive) that doesn't play nice with my hardware for some reason. I've done a complete reinstall of Windows 10 in this SSD using another PC, but even then it won't boot. I may try installing another version of Windows, like 8.1 or 7 to see what happens.

@ShrimpBrime Finished running memtest86 and 0 errors on any of the tests, completely fine. I'm taking the PC to a shop today, hopefully will finally know if my CPU is toast

Have tried flash the bios  7C02v34 this maybe support more inmproved NVMe device compatibility, instead of just bios update instead of 3rd gen ryzen update bios , does it even matter, I’m not sure.

1 hour ago, thebeastman said:

If I understood your comment correctly, my SSD isn't NVME, it's SATA. I've more or less settled on the fact that there is something about Windows drivers (even in their installer on my USB drive) that doesn't play nice with my hardware for some reason. I've done a complete reinstall of Windows 10 in this SSD using another PC, but even then it won't boot. I may try installing another version of Windows, like 8.1 or 7 to see what happens.

@ShrimpBrime Finished running memtest86 and 0 errors on any of the tests, completely fine. I'm taking the PC to a shop today, hopefully will finally know if my CPU is toast

Just a heads up, SSDs can be SATA or NVMe.  NVMe SSD's are faster than SATA SSD's.  Both can hook up through M.2 Interface.  I.E. my board has 1x NVMe speeds capable M.2 that shuts down SATA ports 1/2 on my board when in use (and backwards compatible to m.2 SATA interface), and 1x SATA M.2 that shuts down 4 of the PCIe lanes in my second PCIe x8 slot in my mobo when in use.  

What I find odd is that you took this SSD and installed Win 10 using another PC on it and it still wont work.  Do you mean it wont work even in other PC (I.E. install occurs and then it borks, does it let you install at all)

Sounds like this may be a bad SSD?

Pull the system apart.

Redo all the components again.

Stop at CPU/RAM/JUST 1 HD ( Make sure the RAM is in the right slot, there is an order to the slots)

Try then to install OS ( I dont think if you install an OS on a different machine, that HD will boot up on this machine), the OS has to be installed on the machine it is going to run on.

Let us know what the results are.

Had same problem on Gigabyte X370 Gaming

No amount of CMOS resets, BIOS updates, windows installs (when they would install), memory swaps, etc. fixed anything.

Replaced the motherboard and it's been fine since.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

3 hours ago, The_Geek said:

Pull the system apart.

Redo all the components again.

Stop at CPU/RAM/JUST 1 HD ( Make sure the RAM is in the right slot, there is an order to the slots)

Try then to install OS ( I dont think if you install an OS on a different machine, that HD will boot up on this machine), the OS has to be installed on the machine it is going to run on.

Let us know what the results are.

Finally got to the bottom of it. Went to a a repair shop and tested my mobo and memory with a 3700x and it worked fine. Put my 3600x on another board and the issue came back. So, unfortunately, it's my CPU. Bizarre issue all around, not a lot of people with this problem on the internet. Wish me luck with warranty in my country!