Bizarre core temps in HWMonitor?

Does this make any sense? The package temp is what I'd expect but why are the individual cores reporting near-freezing point? I've never seen a system report temps like this (typically the package temp and the core temps stay in relative close proximity to each other when I look at this utility on other systems).

It's a Core i5 6600K at stock speeds, delidded and liquid metal applied.

CoreTemps.png

Read the temperature units.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

Just now, kimsejin5 said:

Read the temperature units.

I'm not weirded out by the numbers (I know what numbers to expect from a CPU on average), I'm weirded out by the large temperature gap between the package and cores.

I clarified that in my original post.

Short answer: don't worry about it.

Long answer: The "package" temperature is often reported from a thermistor on the substrate itself, whereas the core temperatures can be reported from either a thermistor in the core or based on the electrical resistance between some other set of contacts (depending on the CPU). I don't know exactly which method Intel uses. Regardless, this is probably the reason for the temperature delta between your package and your core. What kind of cooling are you using for your processor? What temperature is your ambient environment?

Ambient is about ~79 degrees F (and I'm running the case with the side panel open at the moment; I just constructed the system).

Cooling is...>_>...an AMD FM2+ stock cooler zip tied to the motherboard with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste.

Just to be clear, the actual temperatures are fine and well within control (and they stayed relatively consistent through a PCMark run). I've just never seen such a large gulf between the reported temps of a package and individual cores before.

It's possible that in the delidding process, you damaged your processor's die, causing it to report temperatures improperly, but it's hard to tell without some very specialized equipment that only AMD or Intel would have.

Have you tried HWiNFO yet?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

9 minutes ago, nick name said:

Have you tried HWiNFO yet?

Never used it before. I've always used HWMonitor to look at my system status.

1 hour ago, SolidSonicTH said:

Ambient is about ~79 degrees F (and I'm running the case with the side panel open at the moment; I just constructed the system).

Cooling is...>_>...an AMD FM2+ stock cooler zip tied to the motherboard with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste.

Just to be clear, the actual temperatures are fine and well within control (and they stayed relatively consistent through a PCMark run). I've just never seen such a large gulf between the reported temps of a package and individual cores before.

Haha awesome.

Can you take a picture of the AMD heatsink zip tied to the motherard on top of that Intel 6600k

24 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Haha awesome.

Can you take a picture of the AMD heatsink zip tied to the motherard on top of that Intel 6600k

This was when I was mounting it. I double-wrapped each side. I actually wanted to cross underneath the board to get the most secure fit but I wasn’t sure if the straps being right below the heat source was healthy.

This is something I've wanted to do ever since I saw this cooler (since I used an aftermarket cooler on the FM2+ CPU this originally shipped with). The bulky heat pipes and fin design completely stomps Intel's wimpy stock coolers.

C5105E93-F500-4B7D-AAEB-F4B1A5171223.jpeg

121C672B-6241-434E-A39D-2AE5CD6920FB.jpeg

Please try HWiNFO to see what it reports.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Alright, but I need to hook things up again (I bought the wrong kind of SSD so I can't install Windows for the time being; I was running these tests off my benchmarking SSD).

Alright, sorry it took me so long to get back to this.

This is what HWiNFO is telling me. I would say it looks more like what I'm expecting.

CoreTempsHWiNFO.png

15 minutes ago, SolidSonicTH said:

This is what HWiNFO is telling me. I would say it looks more like what I'm expecting.

Yup now this temps looks alright ?

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS