Does molex to 4 pin rgb exist?

Dominatorv380

I have an rgb strip from a prebuilt PC that I'd like to put into a new custom build. But here's the thing, it has a female molex connecter on the end, and comes with a male molex to male 3 pin rgb. You can imagine why I can't plug this into a motherboard. Any ideas?

Edit: I am not new to pc's but I am a bit new to rgb. It has dawned on me that that isn't a "3 pin RGB" but rather a fan connector.

image0-1.jpg

image0.jpg

The molex connector only gives power to the rgb strip, it does not allow you to control the brightness or the particular color of the rgb strip.

The molex connector is basically this:  [ +5v | GND (-)  |  GND (-) |  +12v  ]

If you look at the RGB strip in your first image, you can see that one contact on the strip it says +12v , R, G, B :

image.png.5a5ab22c91ef056c811cad6ae099358b.png

This strip basically works like this:

If you connect 12v contact to 12v , and ONLY R contact to GND (-), then there's electricity flowing through the RED led and the RED leds light up.

If you connect 12v contact to 12v and ONLY B contact to GND (-), then there's electricity flowing through the BLUE led and the leds are all blue.

If you connect two or more of the R, G and B contacts to GND(-), then the leds that produce those colors light up and the colors mix up. So if you connect all three R, G and B to GND(-),   red green and blue mix together and you get a WHITE strip.

A RGB controller adjusts the brightness of each color by turning individual color leds thousands of times a second, mixing various degrees of red, green and blue together.

So you could take this strip , connect R, G and B together and connect these to one of the middle pins of your molex connector (GND) and the 12v contact to the 12v pin in the molex connector, and you'll get a white strip of leds.

If you have a 4 pin (RGB and 12v header on your motherboard), you could connect the 3 wires (R,G, B) to the header, but power the strip separately using the molex connector (connecting the 12v wire to the molex).

As for the second picture, I don't know what that adapter is supposed to do.

As I showed, you have the yellow wire connected to either 5v or 12v in the molex connector (most likely 12v, as red wires are used for 5v tranditionally), and the black wires seem to be connected to middle pins of the molex, GND...

So the 3 pin header looks like [GND | 12v | GND ] which is no pattern I'm familiar with.