Black and red osx/windows 8 superbuild help

ampifed1

Hello guys I'm a rookie but I want to build an all red/black PC that looks and performs well. I'll dual boot OSX (I've read up on hackintoshes well, don't worry ;) and windows 8) I will overclock and use it for gaming and editing. Here's what I have so far.

Mobo: Z87-UD4H gigabyte red motherboard

RAM: corsair vengeance/vengeance pro(1600 MHz, 1866 MHz, 8GB vs 16GB :/)

HDD: 1TB caviar blue

SSD: Intel 530 180GB or intel 530 180GB but with 60 GB used for Intel smart response

Case: NZXT black/red H440 or Corsair 750d

GPU: EVGA GTX 760

PSU: corsair 650m or 750m (with red cables bought extra from corsair because f**k it red is cool)

Cooler: h100i or kraken x60

CPU: Intel 4670k

Fans: sp120 quiet edition red

So I am a little unsure with memory whether the difference between 1600 MHz or 1866 MHD will be big. Also, will it be worth it to get the vengeance pro? Many people say 8GB is enough but a lot also say it is worth the extra money to get 16GB (obviously, but how much more worth it)

The NZXT H440 is silent and the red and black is sweet however not sure because the cooling is a little limited in my opinion, but it is silent. The 750d has a really big window, and can have an optical drive installed unlike the H440. But I'm not sure if that means anything today. Which case is better overall?

Is the Gtx 760 a good level gpu with the 4670k?

Not really sure if the extra 100 watts will be needed, so I'm stuck between the 650m and the 750m.

As far as the ssd, I heard that using part of it for smart response can be good. This is where it takes data installed on the hard drive that is used a lot and moves it to the part of the ssd right? At the same time I have two operating systems and some apps and games I probably want on the ssd so I don't know if I will need the extra 60GB.

The CPU coolers seem about the same so I think that depending on the case I get, the cooler will be from that company (if I get 750d, I will get h100i because they are both corsair, same goes for kraken and h440) because compatiblility is always good. Am I right that they are about the same performance?

For the fans the quiet editions seemed like a good choice for the small performance lost from the louder ones.

Please help everyone! :) are these good parts and is there anything I could change or do to save some money or improve the system. Thanks? When I finish this I will upload it to this forum.

Red and black colour themed PC are sick. Look so good. Thats why I went with red/black.
ASUS, MSI and Corsair are your friends. They all make quality black, red, black/red parts.

Wou may want to consider a VM (Virtual machine) instead of dual boot. Less headaches and if it breaks you can easily reinstall it again.

You better take lots of photos ;)

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

If you are running lion OS or mac OS(or how you want to call it) just be sure it is confirmed that your mobo, CPU, GPU and ram can work with it, saw this kind of a build once done on tech of tomorow and they had trouble with the RAM since it wasn't validated/waorking for mac OS, but that was the only failure though since form the others they could find validated versions(GPU was something form EVGA)

Further on it seems like reasonable build, altough i would prefer 16gb ram is you are really going to use it for editing, for the SSD i would go with 2, 1 for windows OS and 1 for mac OS, then 1-2 harddrives for storage since im not 100% if windows and mac could share the same HD/HDD as storage point.

Also like said above, get a virtual machine, safes lots of time and it will always work for you.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Also like said above, get a virtual machine, safes lots of time and it will always work for you.

What's the difference between running MacOSX on a dual-boot Hackintosh and using a VM on your Windows 7/8?

You better take lots of photos ;)

Haha yes I definitely will ;)

Just less headaches. VMware virtualizes most things for you, including kernel packages, your internet (if you're on wifi), your graphics, etc. With a hackintosh you generally need to figure everything out -- drivers, graphics, wifi. It can cause some issues

Sounds great, then why do people spend time choosing specific parts to make a Hackintosh, when they could just use any parts (Intel CPU is a must I think?) and run OSX on a VM? I think that Apple forbids running OSX on a VM, but not everyone cares about that .. and we're just elaborating on ideas .. right ;)

Can you run programs like Xcode on a OSX VM? Sorry for the newb questions, I'm kinda new to this VM world.

If you are running lion OS or mac OS(or how you want to call it) just be sure it is confirmed that your mobo, CPU, GPU and ram can work with it, saw this kind of a build once done on tech of tomorow and they had trouble with the RAM since it wasn't validated/waorking for mac OS, but that was the only failure though since form the others they could find validated versions(GPU was something form EVGA)

Further on it seems like reasonable build, altough i would prefer 16gb ram is you are really going to use it for editing, for the SSD i would go with 2, 1 for windows OS and 1 for mac OS, then 1-2 harddrives for storage since im not 100% if windows and mac could share the same HD/HDD as storage point.

Ok thanks I looked a lot at a website called tonymacx86 and all of the parts are compatible. Also, thanks for clarification on the Ssd/Hdd situation

Sounds great, then why do people spend time choosing specific parts to make a Hackintosh, when they could just use any parts (Intel CPU is a must I think?) and run OSX on a VM? I think that Apple forbids running OSX on a VM, but not everyone cares about that .. and we're just elaborating on ideas .. right ;)

Can you run programs like Xcode on a OSX VM? Sorry for the newb questions, I'm kinda new to this VM world.

And yeah now I might consider a VM too even though I was set on dual booting. Didn't think of a vm as an option. But if I install osx first, I heard there is something called boot camp that apple provides that makes it easy to dual boot windows. I might check that out.

The psus are overkill unless you plan to sli. The 650w is already enough for 2 760's and a decent 500w is already plenty for one. 

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.