Quick question

Ted Cruzumaki
Go to solution Solved by Anomnomnomaly,
1 hour ago, Ted Cruzumaki said:

so I recently built my new pc with an nvme installed to the motherboard. the only problem is I have trouble migrating my windows OS from my 1TB (about 600GB used) hard drive to my 500GB SSD and all of the free online cloning/migrating OS softwares ive used just say "this disk is too small" even though im specifically moving my OS only and not all my data. How to fix this? Do i have to reinstall windows?

It's not trying to copy the OS only... it's cloning the entire drive. You've got a 1TB drive with a 1TB volume. So it's never going to be able to clone it.  You need to transfer as much as you can to another drive. So empty out all of your docs/downloads/music... if you've got games installed via steam for example.. move them to another location or uninstall for now.

A basic install of windows with some extra bits of software and not much in the way of personal files will be far less than 100GB.

so I recently built my new pc with an nvme installed to the motherboard. the only problem is I have trouble migrating my windows OS from my 1TB (about 600GB used) hard drive to my 500GB SSD and all of the free online cloning/migrating OS softwares ive used just say "this disk is too small" even though im specifically moving my OS only and not all my data. How to fix this? Do i have to reinstall windows?

So you want to move 600gb of data onto a 500gb drive.  Yeah... there’s a problem there alright.

What you have to do is move some of the data off your drive first.  Probably a bit more than 100gb worth.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Maybe try to(don't know if it works, haven't done it before personally):

1. Move everything above for example 400 GB to somewhere else, another HDD or something (or delete it but you probably don't want that)

2. Make the partition windows is on 500 GB or less.

3. Then try to do it

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Ted Cruzumaki said:

It's not trying to copy the OS only... it's cloning the entire drive. You've got a 1TB drive with a 1TB volume. So it's never going to be able to clone it.  You need to transfer as much as you can to another drive. So empty out all of your docs/downloads/music... if you've got games installed via steam for example.. move them to another location or uninstall for now.

A basic install of windows with some extra bits of software and not much in the way of personal files will be far less than 100GB.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So you want to move 600gb of data onto a 500gb drive.  Yeah... there’s a problem there alright.

What you have to do is move some of the data off your drive first.  Probably a bit more than 100gb worth.

yeah i figured that out after a while. 

3 hours ago, Mihle said:

Maybe try to(don't know if it works, haven't done it before personally):

1. Move everything above for example 400 GB to somewhere else, another HDD or something (or delete it but you probably don't want that)

2. Make the partition windows is on 500 GB or less.

3. Then try to do it

done it. now deleting everything else.

2 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

thank you. i wish there was a better way of doing this instead of filling out my brand new ssd. ill trty doing this the next  day because my night is pretty much wasted because of this annoying thing.