Building a new rig

Hello Everyone,

I am putting together my first rig. I was looking to purchase Ryzen 3950x and RTX 2080 super and club this with MSI x570 Meg ace. I have confusions in the following areas

1) what cooler to use

2) are liquid cooling reliable and what's their life

3) given the CPU and GPU with it cause a bottleneck ?

Thanks for all you suggestions and feedback

I just built a 4k-8k adobe premier editing workstation using the 3950x and 2080 Super, for cooling I went with a Noctua NH-D15 and so far no issues. If this is a computer just for gaming the 3950X is complete overkill and not worth the money, if you are building a gaming rig and want the best processor for gaming go for an i9-9900k or if you just want a decent gaming processor the 3600 is the best price to performance gaming CPU.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

This sounds like it would be a beastly computer for both gaming and production workloads, but if your goal is primarily gaming I would direct you to a 3700x or 3800x with the saved money put into other parts such as more/faster ram, better gpu (depending on your targets), dual nvme drives of gen 3 or 4 variety etc. If you're more gaming+streaming and want the extra cpu threads the 3900x is alright, but probably unnecessary unless your streaming setup has extra complexity that add to overall cpu load. If you're just feeling overly enthusiastic like me, go for it

I'm using the Dark Rock Pro 4 with my 3900x and it's pretty good but mounting hardware needed modification to get optimal mounting pressure on my unit. Tower coolers have fewer points of failure, it's easy enough to replace a fan, plus they provide some cooling without operating fans which helps keep temperatures from going critical. That being said, many all in one closed loop coolers have been on the market for quite some time and are fairly reliable. A 240mm radiator or 280mm would be plenty for any of these processors, although personally I'm a sucker for 360mm.

In gaming the cpu (3800x, 3900x, 3950x) won't bottleneck the gpu by any reasonable margin outside of extremely high refresh rate setups on lower resolutions. There may also be the odd piece of software that doesn't work well with the architecture.

6 hours ago, boggy77 said:

What's the use for this pc? For gaming toy definitely don't need the 3950

Hey thanks for replying. Its for Gaming+Light Rendering+Some deep Learning. 

5 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I just built a 4k-8k adobe premier editing workstation using the 3950x and 2080 Super, for cooling I went with a Noctua NH-D15 and so far no issues. If this is a computer just for gaming the 3950X is complete overkill and not worth the money, if you are building a gaming rig and want the best processor for gaming go for an i9-9900k or if you just want a decent gaming processor the 3600 is the best price to performance gaming CPU.

Thank you so much! How is the performance so far with the 3950x  ?

1 minute ago, Pawan_rao said:

Thank you so much! How is the performance so far with the 3950x  ?

Insane, first thing I did was test it against my 9900k for adobe and workstation tasks and it's a beast. Testing it in some games tomorrow to see how it does just for fun. It's strictly for adobe premier and won't ever be used for gaming, at least from what my friend I'm building it for was saying. If your main use is going to be gaming than the 9900k is a better bet for you.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

5 hours ago, Arrogath said:

This sounds like it would be a beastly computer for both gaming and production workloads, but if your goal is primarily gaming I would direct you to a 3700x or 3800x with the saved money put into other parts such as more/faster ram, better gpu (depending on your targets), dual nvme drives of gen 3 or 4 variety etc. If you're more gaming+streaming and want the extra cpu threads the 3900x is alright, but probably unnecessary unless your streaming setup has extra complexity that add to overall cpu load. If you're just feeling overly enthusiastic like me, go for it

I'm using the Dark Rock Pro 4 with my 3900x and it's pretty good but mounting hardware needed modification to get optimal mounting pressure on my unit. Tower coolers have fewer points of failure, it's easy enough to replace a fan, plus they provide some cooling without operating fans which helps keep temperatures from going critical. That being said, many all in one closed loop coolers have been on the market for quite some time and are fairly reliable. A 240mm radiator or 280mm would be plenty for any of these processors, although personally I'm a sucker for 360mm.

In gaming the cpu (3800x, 3900x, 3950x) won't bottleneck the gpu by any reasonable margin outside of extremely high refresh rate setups on lower resolutions. There may also be the odd piece of software that doesn't work well with the architecture.

Hey thanks for clarifying about the bottle neck part. I was not aware about it. Since long time I wanted to build an ultimate rig! I'm still a grad student just trying to save up and build a beast as I know once I start working and move on I might never be able to explore this.

Looking at all the reviews about the 3950x I was awe struck. If i build this I'll be paying off the debt at least for the next 6 months!

2 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Insane, first thing I did was test it against my 9900k for adobe and workstation tasks and it's a beast. Testing it in some games tomorrow to see how it does just for fun. It's strictly for adobe premier and won't ever be used for gaming, at least from what my friend I'm building it for was saying. If your main use is going to be gaming than the 9900k is a better bet for you.

Wow! that sounds great. I'll be using it for Gaming, some rendering  and deep learning and 3D modeling. 9900k was my 1st choice before I read about 3950x, but after that I'm in love with it. I live in Philly and planning to drive to Delaware just to buy all the components to save on taxes. Probably end up spending $2300 without the monitor.

3 minutes ago, Pawan_rao said:

Wow! that sounds great. I'll be using it for Gaming, some rendering  and deep learning and 3D modeling. 9900k was my 1st choice before I read about 3950x, but after that I'm in love with it. I live in Philly and planning to drive to Delaware just to buy all the components to save on taxes. Probably end up spending $2300 without the monitor.

If the extra $250 is worth it to you than go for it, it really is a beast of a processor.